Back to Spices CafeConcorde Hotel Singapore, 100 Orchard Road

Buffet12 votes

Rolling
 • 02 Aug 2014 151 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Please go to http://rollingwrites.blogspot.sg/2014/04/spices-cafe.html for complete review and pictures.

This is one of the few rare buffet places that is not filled to maximum capacity.

You get to choose from five kinds of crabs and they will deliver it to your table- you can order all five kinds as many times as you want. Choices of crab include Thai Curry with Basil Leaves Crab, Chili Crab, Black Pepper Crab, Butter & White Pepper Crab and Salted Egg Crab.

We ordered all five to share and my mum really liked the Salted Egg Crab. I found most of the crab choices to be very average. Nonetheless, it was quite interesting trying new flavours for the first time.

In general, the crabs didn't taste particularly fresh but nor were they unfresh. It was just that the meat lacked the chewiness and juiciness.

Each person also gets to choose from either a serving of baked half lobster gratinated with cheese or a serving of braised baby abalone with broccoli and mushroom. Unless you love abalones so much, I'm telling you- get the lobster.

They also had a section with the seafood laid out on ice. I only tried the scallops here and I have to say that the scallop was pretty bad. It tasted exactly like how scallops would taste like if they were just taken out from the freezer. The scallops were small and dry.

They had a section where the chefs would cook laksa, herbal prawn soup etc.

The warm food section also had a lot of seafood dishes- Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab, Oats Prawns, Scallops and Broccoli etc. The soft shell crab was very crispy- unfortunately something was missing- the kick of crunching some shells was non-existent. It just felt like limp crab meat hidden below some deep fried goodness.

Thank goodness desserts were fairly decent.

Average food, friendly service.

Amanda Tran
 • 14 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
So suprised that this buffet could touch my taste. I do not like the bufffet with many food but all are just so so. This place is different. They do not have huge range of food but its really great. I have 1 half grilled lobster and free flow of 5 different cooked crab dishes served by order. I voted for this because of these:
- Fresh seafood: even the cooked food like prawns and crabs. I were so impressed with the herbal soup with very fresh prawns, must try this.
- Nice cooked food. I rarely eat cooked food at buffet coz they were so oily but i did try most of food here. Less choice but good food.
- Here does not have many kind of salad, bread and chesse, but i think its enough, coz i dont come to buffet to eat those things.
- Very nice staff, especially the waitresses. I am a woman but i have to say so. They are pretty, warm and professional.
- One more point for the buffet table area. You come and see.

Must tries: Herbal soup with prawn

After Work

Frozen
 • 15 Jun 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
We celebrated our girl's birthday there in June. We were pleasantly surprised by the marked improvement in the quality and variety of their buffet spread. Even the service standard has improved since our last visit two years back.

Certainly an ideal place for a family lunch within orchard but away from the crowd.
Buffet