Reviews for Spizzico

EuropeanItalianWestern
Huey

Value for money Executive Lunch

I have been a regular of Spizzico but it's my first weekday lunch - specially here to check out the Executive Set Lunch menu after spying the lunch menu during dinner 2 weeks ago, and to celebrate my sister's birthday. ;) Ordered 4 executive set lunches, which is a steal at $23,90 each, comprising starter, main and coffee/tea plus house dessert (panna cota or choc ice-cream). We had the signature mushroom soup, soup-of-the-day cream of broccoli, caesar salad, mains 2x ribeye (v tender and juicy in mushroom sauce), softshell crab pasta (v tangy - thumbs-up!) and Spizzico pizza (generous topping of parma ham, rocket n cheese on tomato base). We also ordered a super-value lunch pasta Penne Sausage Arrabiata at $8.50 that was delicious! Definitely a satisfying and good value quality lunch! Great service makes the meal extra pleasant. :)
Ribeye
07 Mar 2014 • 27 reviews • 1 follower

Value for money Executive Lunch

cream wasabi fish @dairycream.blogspot
19 Jul 2013 • 227 reviews • 8 followers

simple yet delightful end-of-meal tiramisu

Click here: http://dairycream.blogspot.sg/2013/07/spizzico-ristorante-italiano.html for full post Spizzico is a cosy Italian restaurant located at UE Square which has been established since 2000. I was quite surprised by its extensive selection of food and it even has an alfresco dining area for those who prefer outdoors. The menu stays close to a traditional Italian style, from soup, salad, cold appetizer, hot appetizers... to risottos, pastas, seafood, carne (meat) and of course desserts.   But we could not wait and jumped right into the hot appetizer section. Nothing could go severely wrong when fresh squid is used to make this Golden Calamari rings ($18) instead of rubbery frozen kinds. These lightly-battered sotongs are better off on its own instead of being dipped into the Diabolo sauce, which may overpower the original taste the meat. Not sure if the flat pasta was undercooked as it was rather tough and not anywhere near "char kway teow" nor "hor fun" like the owner humorously quipped. However, the saffron sauce with sundried tomato was not too cheesy along with some fresh, bouncy scallops & prawns. For my main course of seafood, I tend to avoid cod fish but this was not overwhelming rich with nicely browned edges. The Cream Wasabi Sauce was slightly too sweet and would prefer it to be sharper. From the Meat, the highly anticipated beef tenderloin was too thick and thus there was not much taste from the meat or the little sauce. At $42, the quality was not convincing and thus I would still recommend their thin crust pizzas. We were surprised when the Smoked Salmon Pizza ($20) looked like it had just travelled out from the forest with the lush canopy of wild rocket. It was not spicy as I expected, but the bright flavors of capers and onions complemented the smoked salmon very well. Not everyone might be fond of the wobbly Pannacotta ($12) but I do. It was not sweet at all and the dark golden brown caramel sauce was bitter, just the way it should be. On the hindsight, the Cassata($12), a traditional Italian dessert of semifreddo, dried fruits and chocolate sponge was nothing very special. Think ice cream parfait with harder texture. After coming across many mediocre tiramisu at restaurants, Spizzico's version ($12) was a pleasant surprise with moist sponges and traceable amounts of coffee liquor. A simple yet delightful end-of-meal desserts to have. Overall, the food here is relatively sound and I would stick to the pizza, pastas and desserts instead of the seafood/meat course. But what is heartening to know is that the ingredients used at Spizzico are fresh and the sauces are made from scratch. While this place gives me a prim and proper feel with neatly ironed table sheets and heavy utensils, I can imagine it to be a suitable location for families and couples to enjoy quality fare away from the crowds.
Ravioli in saffron with prawn and crab filling.
07 Jan 2013 • 27 reviews • 0 follower

A nice lunch

My friend and I had lunch at this restaurant. After being seated, we were given bread with an olive oil and balsamic vinegar (?) dipping. We were also asked politely for our choice of iced water or warm water. I was pleasantly surprised by the service because you know how some restaurants are, when it comes to giving out free water.

We ordered and shared the ravioli with saffron, prawn and crab, as well as the squid ink risotto with clams, squid, prawns and scallops. I am happy to say that this time I took pictures. :)

The ravioli was good. My friend and I both thought so. I felt that the taste was pleasant. I had expected it to be very rich and salty, but it was just nice. I liked the sauce very much. The prawn and crab filling was tasty too.

The squid ink risotto was interesting. There was quite a lot of seafood and my friend and I both liked it as it was flavourful. She commented that it was the blackest squid ink dish she had ever seen. Indeed, it was so black that we could not make out the seafood in the risotto. :p Overall, although I enjoyed the dish, I thought that it was a little too salty. I would recommend that if you want to try this dish and don't like salty food, share it with someone and don't eat it on your own.

The staff was very polite and a man, whom I think might be the boss, cleared our plates promptly. We didn't order dessert as we were quite full, but I definitely think that this is a place worth going back.

A little note on the menu... If I remember correctly, the menu did not have any pictures... Perhaps pictures could be printed and the fonts could be changed (different fonts for the heading and food description) so that diners will have an easier time reading it and deciding what delicious food they want to try. :)