Back to StraitsKitchenGrand Hyatt Singapore, 10 Scotts Road

People Watching4 votes

Priyankac
 • 01 Nov 2013 160 reviews 1 follower
Overall
At the regal, Grand Hyatt hotel, Straits Kitchen is taking on Deepavali with panache, offering lunch and dinner specials ($54 and $68 per person, respectively) that include free-flow selected juices, tea tarik and coffee tarik. Mains comprise delicious options such as Bangali machi curry (Bengali-style fish curry) as well as nalli briyani (bone-in mutton Hyderabadi briyani). Not to be missed are of course, the desserts – with kaju roll (Cashew and pistachio roll) and kheer (Indian rice pudding) stealing the show. Available only on 1 and 2 November.

Must tries: Bangali machi curry (Bengali-style fish curry), nalli briyani (bone-in mutton Hyderabadi briyani)

Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

Celine Asril
 • 18 Oct 2013 198 reviews 7 followers
Overall
Straits Kitchen is a one stop buffet for the best of Singapore Cuisine under one roof - but at five-star prices. This food is halal and you can watch the chefs toss your roti prata or grill you somesatay through the theatre kitchens. All the local favorites make an appearance; Hainanese chicken rice, beef rendang, biryani and desserts like durian ice cream and almond cream. This is a good spot to bring out of town guests – they get to sample a smorgasbord of local fare, in a posh and sanitised environment. For more best buffets reviews, read here http://www.hungrygowhere.com/gallery/52-best-buffets-in-singapore-*gid-fc280400/photos/#5ddf0700

Must tries: Satay, beef rendang

Buffet, Dinner, Lunch
  • Satay
  • Satay

Loriane
 • 19 Jul 2013 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I went to Strait's Kitchen for dinner just before they increased the price for Ramadan. I had been before and enjoyed it but this time round it didn't live up to my previous experience.

Strait's Kitchen does not mislead anyone in terms of advertising the types of food they serve. It is Peranakan and Hawker Centre food. The food is of good quality and cooked fresh. I love that it is open kitchen and that the chefs only cook small portions but monitor the levels regularly and cook as they see the need. The food therefore stays hot.

I started with the popiah. They were really big but nice. I'd recommend sharing them with someone else so that you can have room for the other food. I then tried the Chinese food. The fried rice was delicious as was the carrot cake. The vegetables were also tasty. I tried the laksa. I didn't think that it was too bad but for those of you who like your food a bit more spicy, you will have to add extra chilli. I ate some Hainan chicken. The chef went through a lot of chickens. It wasn't comparable to the best that I have had and the garlic/ ginger sauce was too watery. I have had better at Hawker stalls. The duck also wasn't very suculent. The plum sauce was nice though and not overpowering in flavour.

I was disappointed that they did not serve chilli crab but they served salted egg crab instead. The claws were really huge and were a little hard to crack. They made a big mess but it was worth it!

By the time I had eaten the Chinese section, I was too full to eat much of anything else. This is why I don't recommend going to Strait's Kitchen. While the food is good and the service and ambience is good, it's not value for money. After about 2 plates of food, I was too full for much else. I know that this is more than you would eat normally at home for dinner but it kind of defeats the purpose of going to a buffet. There are a lot of carbs which really stuff you up and the desserts are quite sweet and use  a lot of coconut cream so you can't eat much of them. For $55++, you could easily feed your whole family at a Hawker stall and eat more than one plate.
After Work, Buffet