Reviews for StraitsKitchen

AsianHalal
Li Tian

Awesome Sichuan Noodles Promotion Till 12 Dec!

If you think that Sichuan noodles is all about spicy minced meat paste on top of dry dan-dan noodles,  then you got to try the authentic version at Chinese kitchen of halal-certified buffet restaurant Straits Kitchen. Chef Patrick Pan from Xi-an, China celebrates the culinary heritage of his roots by introducing two types of Sichuan noodles that would definitely transform the stereotypical image of Sichuan cuisine.
Full review and pics: http://dairycream.blogspot.sg/2014/11/sichuan-noodles-at-straits-kitchen-till.html

Taking a subtle approach to the dan dan mian, Chef Pan whips out a soupy version that is blended with peanut paste which gives it a very pleasant aroma. Dip the spoon into the sea of the reddish broth without the wavy noodles and one will haul up a mound of dried peppercorn, sesame seeds, spring onions--all the necessary ingredients that makes this bowl particularly rich and flavour duck.

Meanwhile, I was fully impressed by how Chef Pan managed to allow the flavors of the components; cumin, star anise, homemade Sichuan Chilli oil, peppercorns, Japanese leeks and Chinese parsley to shine through without overpowering one another. I would have slurped down the two bowls of MSG-free broth if there weren't so many other temptations around at the buffet. ......
sichuan promotion till 12 dec
04 Dec 2014 • 226 reviews • 8 followers

Awesome Sichuan Noodles Promotion Till 12 Dec!

Interior
30 Nov 2014 • 337 reviews • 3 followers

Average food in a posh setting

Anyway, the exterior was glossy and modernistic as expected, exuding class and style. The inner elegance of the dimly-lit restaurant with its comfortable seats were plain raw beautiful. I was escorted to my seat while waiting for my esteemed dining companion to arrive. Interestingly, in such a setting, they were playing Chinese songs literally.

Lunch started, and we began browsing the variety of local / Chinese cuisine on display, in this posh marketplace setting. There was quite a huge spread of food - starting from the Nasi Lemak stall with tantalizing ingredients.

We had some Popiah (Chinese spring rolls with turnips, chopped peanuts etc within) - large rolls of ingredients filled spring rolls. The taste was pretty all right - not too salty, a little on the bland side.

I took a little of Char Kuey Teow and Fried Carrot Cake alongside with some vegetables. The fried pasta both tasted rather good too, and were not oily.

The Satay (meat on sticks) was pretty all right - chargrilled meat that was rather tender, though lacking in the smokey fragrance of traditional satay - and they were careful not to burn the sides (usually I prefer to have a little burned edges).

Next, the Prawn Noodles that was light in flavor and flaccid in texture. There were rather big shrimps at the bottom of the soup though, and that (when shelled) enhanced the overall flavor dramatically

For full review and more photographs, please feel free to visit:
Double Boiled Soup - Lotus Root Soup
23 Oct 2014 • 172 reviews • 2 followers

Good Spread of Local Delights For Buffet!

This is my first visit to this buffet restaurant located at the ground floor of Grand Hyatt Hotel.

The restaurant offers a wide variety of local food and I wished I has the chance to try all the stations. Next time, I must ration the serving of food on my plate, so that I can try all their food options. I liked their wide variety of food offerings.

Here are the highlights of my meal:
- Double Boiled Soup: Today's special was Lotus Root Soup. The soup was double boiled and the chef heaped the ingredients in my bowl. Chockful of lean pork (that was flavourful and not dry when you eat it) and lotus root. Yummy!
- Chicken, Mutton and Beef Satay: You can see the chef at this station grilling the satay. I tried the chicken and mutton satay and they were nicely marinated and grilled. The peanut sauce was also nice.
- Chinese Popiah: Freshly made to order, you can customise the ingredients for this dish. It was filling.
Hand Shaved noodles in spicy braised beef broth(Left) and Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles (Soup): This is only for a limited period. I liked the hand shaved noodles with the beef. The chef will shave the noodles off a block of flour into the boiling water. When the noodles are cooked, it will be placed in a bowl and the braised beef with spicy gravy into your bowl. Caution: Its Hot! I started to perspire in my second mouthful into this dish.
Hainanese Chicken Rice: The chicken was well done. You can also order Roast Duck at this station. Help yourself to the chicken rice and condiments (Chilli sauce, grated ginger, cucumber and tomato).
Tandoori Chicken and Prawns, Palak Paneer and Dum chicken Briyani: The Tandoori chicken was very good. It was my favorite dish for lunch. The Dum chicken briyani was flavourful and chicken cooked in it was tender.
- Fresh Juices and Local Drinks: There are fresh juices and local drinks (Sour Plum Drink, Bandung, Chinese Cooling Drink) available. Good choice of drinks to quench your thirst during the meal.
- Pulut Hitam: Black Glutinous Rice with Coconut cream. I have been craving this for some time and this was opportune to satisfy my craving. It was good.
- Coconut & Horlicks Ice cream:
The Horlicks ice cream was good! Try it!
- Ginko Nuts, Barley and Bean Curd Dessert
: Nice 'cooling' dessert that I enjoyed!

There are other delights (Muah chee, Min Chang Kueh, Ang Ku Kueh, Nonya Dessert, Green Bean Soup, malay Rice Cake) available too.

Things I had to forego (due to me being full and out of time) was the noodle section (laksa, prawn noodles). So i will go back again.

The last serving of food is at 2.30pm for lunch. So go early, so you sit back, relax and have more time to eat!