Back to StraitsKitchenGrand Hyatt Singapore, 10 Scotts Road

People Watching4 votes

howinston
 • 23 Oct 2014 125 reviews 2 followers
Overall
This is my first visit to this buffet restaurant located at the ground floor of Grand Hyatt Hotel.

The restaurant offers a wide variety of local food and I wished I has the chance to try all the stations. Next time, I must ration the serving of food on my plate, so that I can try all their food options. I liked their wide variety of food offerings.

Here are the highlights of my meal:
- Double Boiled Soup: Today's special was Lotus Root Soup. The soup was double boiled and the chef heaped the ingredients in my bowl. Chockful of lean pork (that was flavourful and not dry when you eat it) and lotus root. Yummy!
- Chicken, Mutton and Beef Satay: You can see the chef at this station grilling the satay. I tried the chicken and mutton satay and they were nicely marinated and grilled. The peanut sauce was also nice.
- Chinese Popiah: Freshly made to order, you can customise the ingredients for this dish. It was filling.
Hand Shaved noodles in spicy braised beef broth(Left) and Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles (Soup): This is only for a limited period. I liked the hand shaved noodles with the beef. The chef will shave the noodles off a block of flour into the boiling water. When the noodles are cooked, it will be placed in a bowl and the braised beef with spicy gravy into your bowl. Caution: Its Hot! I started to perspire in my second mouthful into this dish.
Hainanese Chicken Rice: The chicken was well done. You can also order Roast Duck at this station. Help yourself to the chicken rice and condiments (Chilli sauce, grated ginger, cucumber and tomato).
Tandoori Chicken and Prawns, Palak Paneer and Dum chicken Briyani: The Tandoori chicken was very good. It was my favorite dish for lunch. The Dum chicken briyani was flavourful and chicken cooked in it was tender.
- Fresh Juices and Local Drinks: There are fresh juices and local drinks (Sour Plum Drink, Bandung, Chinese Cooling Drink) available. Good choice of drinks to quench your thirst during the meal.
- Pulut Hitam: Black Glutinous Rice with Coconut cream. I have been craving this for some time and this was opportune to satisfy my craving. It was good.
- Coconut & Horlicks Ice cream:
The Horlicks ice cream was good! Try it!
- Ginko Nuts, Barley and Bean Curd Dessert
: Nice 'cooling' dessert that I enjoyed!

There are other delights (Muah chee, Min Chang Kueh, Ang Ku Kueh, Nonya Dessert, Green Bean Soup, malay Rice Cake) available too.

Things I had to forego (due to me being full and out of time) was the noodle section (laksa, prawn noodles). So i will go back again.

The last serving of food is at 2.30pm for lunch. So go early, so you sit back, relax and have more time to eat!

Must tries: Hainanese chicken rice, Ginko Nuts, Barley and Bean Curd Dessert, Dum chicken Briyani, tandoori chicken, Chinese Drinks, Hand Shaved noodles in spicy braised beef broth, Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles (Soup), Double Boiled Soup - Lotus Root Soup, Satay, Chinese Popiah

Ala Carte, Birthdays, Buffet, Business Dining, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch

Jake Wong
 • 31 Aug 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
It was a local buffet. To be fair I didn't eat a lot of it. But the outstanding dishes were Indian - the spread of curries was simply superb and there were varied types of meat - all very well done and tasty The chinese fungus soup was nice and again I must admit I missed a lot of it - the chicken rice, tanghoon etc. But I was told the touhu telor was disappointing and the popiah was average. But the buffet does not come with beverages. The ambience was good though and the ervice was great

Must tries: Briyani

Boys Night Out, Buffet

Priyankac
 • 01 Nov 2013 218 reviews 5 followers
Overall
At the regal, Grand Hyatt hotel, Straits Kitchen is taking on Deepavali with panache, offering lunch and dinner specials ($54 and $68 per person, respectively) that include free-flow selected juices, tea tarik and coffee tarik. Mains comprise delicious options such as Bangali machi curry (Bengali-style fish curry) as well as nalli briyani (bone-in mutton Hyderabadi briyani). Not to be missed are of course, the desserts – with kaju roll (Cashew and pistachio roll) and kheer (Indian rice pudding) stealing the show. Available only on 1 and 2 November.

Must tries: Bangali machi curry (Bengali-style fish curry), nalli briyani (bone-in mutton Hyderabadi briyani)

Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch