Review for Suanthai Restaurant (Killiney Road)

2.6

AsianIndochineseThai
Address: 101 Killiney Road, 239544
01 Jul 2009
Overall

Cheap buffet with rather decent food

I love Thai food, and I love tiny food places that's located along a not-too-busy (in fact, quiet) road. Reminds me of Pub Street in Siem Reap. Very laid back, very good.

So when I walked past Suanthai one sunny afternoon, which totally fits the criteria stated above, I couldn't resist the temptation to step in for lunch. There are 2 buffet menus, and I tried both on two occasions. No big difference in the food I feel, and the price difference was also marginal (they're both under $20, $16-ish or $18-ish, if my memory didn't fail me). So I would recommend the more expensive one, since it is not a lot more expensive. Somehow I believe that paying more would mean getting more, although I haven't quite figured out the actual difference between the 2 menus.

Okay, the food.

The beef with cashews is good. Thin slices of beef coated in some flour and fried, generous servings of cashews... it's really good. I wouldn't imagine that the beef is of extraordinary quality, but for the price I pay, this is pretty decent stuff.

Panang curry fish - I like. Okay, I like all curry. So as long as it is not obviously badly done, I'd think it's good. The portion is really quite generous I would say. It's erm... slightly spicy, coconuty, you know, it's just curry, but it's quite good.

Soups are only half decent I feel. The Tom Yum is not as complex as what you get elsewhere, it just lacks some color and flavor but I cannot quite identify what exactly went wrong. Fish maw soup? Tastes like fish maw soup, but I don't see a lot of fish maw or anything else in the soup. It's basically a bowl of starchy, fish maw-flavored liquid.

Vegs are okay, nothing great, nothing bad. I would think the salads are better options. Because the salads are great imo! Okay, maybe except the papaya salad.

The mango and the pomelo salad are essentially the same, with prawn paste, fried shrimps, peanuts etc. And they are lovely! Slightly sweet, vaguely savory, with a hint of spiciness, and a little citrusy flavor. GOsh I need them now. Give the papaya version a miss... it's sour and lacks the crunch that the other 2 salads have. Very disappointing.

Stuffed chicken wing was okay, I don't remember being very delighted eating it, neither did I complain about it. But given the fact that this is a Thai delicacy with loads of effort invested into preparing it, just give it a go.

I tried the green curry, and as much as I love all curries, I didn't exactly enjoy this. It's too sweet I think. Not curry-ish enough for me. I also didn't like the chicken satay which I also found too sweet. In fact, for most of the dishes I failed to enjoy in this restaurant, the main problem I had with them was that there were all too sweet. Fish cakes, spring rolls and all the other nibblets were rather forgettable, I wouldn't waste my calories on them.

Desserts don't deserve mention either, the steamed tapioca wasn't soft and mushy enough, red ruby were lumped together, with too much of the starchy coating I felt like I was eating glue, and the other stuff were really just... I don't know what to say. Skip the desserts, really.

All in all, for less than $20, I would think this place is worth visiting. It has crappy stuff, but the better stuff it serves are really worth the $20. Besides, the service staff - although some are not well versed in English - are quite nice and respond quickly when called upon.

Free parking is available at night too, I think. And the bakery a few units away has nice desserts to make up for the lack of desserts at Suanthai.
mango salad

More reviews of Suanthai Restaurant

Cheap Thai food

Had high expectations but very very average food. Worth the price you pay for. Ala carte buffet food therefore if you want more of it you gotta keep asking them to give you. Certain dishes can be ordered once.

Disappointment

Definitely not value for money and not worth a visit at all. I bought 3 lunch vouchers for $45. However, the small notes on the vouchers were ambiguous. As my friends and I could not find a day to make it for lunch, I called the restaurant to ask if I could use the vouchers for dinner. They said yes. But when I showed them the vouchers, the waiter insisted that it's a lunch voucer and can't be used for dinner. They would only treat it as cash vouchers. So in the end, the dinner for 3 cost over $90. Felt so cheated!
They don't serve water, only bottled water at $2 per bottle. If not, it will be free flow ice lemon tea for $3.99++ or calamansi for $4.99++
There was only a very limited choice of food and the taste was horrible. I've never tasted tom yum soup that looked and tasted like plain water with some spiciness and sourness. The soup was completely "clean" and transparent. Even the tom yum flavour instant noodles taste much better!The beef was really tough! The seafood was not fresh at all. The taste of the food was lousy. The steam tapioca for dessert was very hard!  I've never tasted such bad Thai food at all. I would never visit it again even if it's a $10 buffet, not to mention we spent over $30 per pax

CRAPTASTIC

c***. c*** food. c*** service. c*** "ambience". c***, c***, c***.
We got here at 2.20pm today and were rushed to order because the kitchen was closing at 2.30. Ok fine, I understand. But what they didn't tell us was that the restaurant itself closed at 3pm. At 2.45, 2.50 and 3pm, we were rudely told thrice by the extremely unpleasant head waitress that we should eat quickly and get out soon. They even switched the restaurant lights off at 3pm. Never coming back here for the oily, greasy food and lousy lousy service again. should have read all the other negative reviews first.

Pleasant Surprise!

We were looking for affordable buffet choices and Suanthai came up when we were browsing through the many options online. We decided to make a reservation as the price was pretty reasonable for a buffet at a convenient location. Thereafter, we read some of the reviews here and were a little hesitant but decided to go ahead with the meal.

There are items on the menu that belong to the "one order per person" category. Admittedly, those are REALLY GOOD. The other "free to order" items on the menu taste pretty good as well, in contrast to some of the reviews which we have read.

The free flow of drinks were given in abundance and the lemon tea was pretty good as well, along with the salad, fruits and desserts that was on a "buffet counter" for the guests to take.

As we have a group of 14 people, we were given a quiet corner of the resturant, away from the main buzz of the business.

The service staff was a little under the heat at the beginning as it was a turnaround of the guests for a "second seating" but was really prompt to clear the empty plates and attend to our needs. Manager came back to check a few times on how the guests were doing as well.

Serving of the food was big and more than sufficient for all the guests even with mostly 1 round of order of the food items only.

Would recommend people to come to this place.

Lousy Thai Food

Lousy food. We tried the buffet dinner and it was not only not authentic but it was not even up to normal standard at all for almost all dishes. Don't trust the review. Thumbs down. Service is so so only.