Reviews for Suanthai Restaurant (Killiney Road)

2.7

AsianIndochineseThai
angelamaria

Surprisingly good

Based on the other reviews here, my friends and I were pleasantly surprised to find out that the food was pretty good. We didn't partake of the buffet though--my friends had the set lunch (appetizer, main, drinks, dessert from the buffet), and I had the pad thai. I liked my pad thai. It took a while to arrive but the flavours were pleasant and the noodle to topping ratio is generous. Iced lemon tea was a bit watery. I have no idea if the buffet is worth it, but our sit down food was good and worth coming back to.
28 Dec 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Worst worst WORST Food I ever ate!

PLEASE DO NOT EVER TRY THE BUFFET! Not to even talk about the cost, the Dishes served are COLD & AWFUL! We have to force those disgusting cold pieces of meat into our mouth, trying so hard to convince myself to swollow it! Especially the prawn in the Tom Yam soup, I know it 's very unpleasant to do that in a restaurant but I've no choice but to spit it out! No differences between the 1 time dishes and other dishes, because you definitely wont be ordering it for the 2nd time. Eating those food is d*** TORTUROUS! Good atmosphere but I seriously wonder how they survive up to today with this kind of food standard. GOSH! I won't be eating those "food" again even if you pay me for it. We stepped out that restaurant and went home for instant noodles, taste so much better. At least I wont feel like vomiting. PS to restaurant: YOU CALL THAT FOOD!?!? Pls stop wasting our money plus bringing down the image of thai food!
25 Jun 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

It was horrible (The Ala Carte Buffet)

Had the buffet dinner with family. I would say that it was not worth the cost of $21.90++(Monday to Thurs) for Adults. My goodness it was so bad. I have chosen these few to talk about:

1. Tom Yum (one time dish) - Thin, watery, 2 prawns and half a button mushroom with slivers of lemon grass and tomato. Tasted like sour soup with a lot of vinegar.

2. Chicken wrapped in Pandan Leaf (one time dish) - Stale! Absolutely! Stale!

3. Green Curry with vegetables and bean curd - They really mean vegetables when they mean vegetables. There was a lot of vegetables. I would have been okay with that but the curry - it was so sweet it tasted like dessert. Not fantastic.

4. Thai Fish Cake - Was not really fragrant and pleasant, texture wise. (I could be nit-picking here but I'm so cheesed off with the food) Otherwise, it was edible and okay

5. Stir fried fish with thai chilli paste - It tasted like frozen fish tossed in a sauce of chilli powder. I know chilli powder but it was suppose to be THAI. With spices with fragrant aromas.

6. Beef with Cashew Nut (MUST READ) - I have saved the best for the last. The cherry on top. This was the killer dish. The beef had white clumps on it. Initially I didn't think much but when placed that oh-so-percieved tender morsel in my mouth, I was horrified. You know the kind of left over meat that was drenched in sauce after being fried with batter? Yeah this was the beef. It seemed as though the cooks removed the batter from left over beef they could not finish and sauted it back with some cashew nuts and sauce. I CANNOT CONFIRM THAT THIS HAPPENED BUT IT IS WHAT IT TASTED LIKE. I like the cashew nuts though. The nuts were good. If you pick the dish, just eat the nuts.

Overall, the selection of food is very poor. Just to prove it, here is the list (http://www.suanthai.net/p/ala-carte-buffet.html) A lot of vegetables. Dessert available was ice shavings, coconut cream, red rubies in syrup, watermelon, honey dew and papaya and tapioca all on a buffet table for you to take yourself.

Salads were on the buffet table too. I gotta say though, the mango salad was great. Not overtly spicy but it had the right amount of tang and it really whet the appetite. Unfortunately, it whetted for a big disappointment to come.

Please don't come here for the buffet. I don't know how the Ala Carte tastes like so I can't comment on that. There's better thai food at restaurants like Thai Express and Bali Thai (Fusion). Suan Thai has dropped in quality, not living up to its name (buffet-wise).

06 Jun 2014 • 47 reviews • 2 followers