Reviews for Sugisawa Japanese Restaurant

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-16, Riverside View Condominium, 30 Robertson Quay, 238251
02 Mar 2014

good value meal

Decided to pop by for dinner on a Friday night. Didn't do any reservations but was lucky as we got a table within 10 minutes.

Opted for beef yakiniku bento set. Waiting time for this was about 13 minutes. Bento set was served with rice and miso soup. Had some sashimi to share as well.

Friend had the beef paper hotpot. It's without rice. The soup was clear, light and sweet. Tasty. Ingredients were pretty simple, with some vege and thin beef slices.

For more pictures, you may wish to click on this link.

More reviews of Sugisawa Japanese Restaurant

Overall

The fat auntie at the counter is very rude and discriminating a family with young kids

I went there with 5+2 kids w reservation. When we walked in, the fat auntie glacely looked at us, top and down, then said, "oh, you got too many kids". I was stunned to hear this then asked her, "Excuse me?". She sighed then pointed somewhere in the restaurant then saying, "Your table is there". I was very offeded so asked her again, "i am sorry, what did you just said" she then said with louder voice, " i said you got too many kids". I couldn't believe what i was hearing... I told her that it is wrong to say such things. I also asked her, " Do you not have a kid? How could you say such things?". She looked at me straight and said, " no i don't have kids". We walked away from the restaurant. We never tasted the food, but never want to go there. They don't deserve to have a good family with young kids. Unbelievably rude and inappropriate language. Shame on her!

Casual Japanese Dining

Decided to pay a visit to Sugisawa Japanese Restaurant recently as I wanted to take a post relaxing stroll by the river. As it was rather crowded, I got relegated to the outside seatings, which came out fine given that it was a rather cool night that evening.

I started with the Kaki Fri ($10), five plump oysters that were deep fried.

I then tried the Unagi Bento ($25), consisiting of two slices of salmon and tuna sashimi, a boiled tiger prawn which had sweet meat, miso soup, rice and two slabs of unagi. Good enough to fill up a hungry diner.

I also tried the tempura from the Tempura Udon ($14) and liked that fresh oil was used to fry the prawn.

I also tried the sushi from the Sushi Bento A ($24), which had salmon, squid, tuna, flying fish roe, chicken egg, yellow tail and freshwater eel.

Overall, I felt that the bentos are quite fairly priced, given the casual dining environment. If you are looking for a simple meal to fill you up, this would be an ideal place for you.

bento dinner

Visited on a Friday evening, without reservation. Was there at 730pm and there were many empty tables inside and outside of the restaurant. Was told to sit outside as the indoor dining was 'full'.

Ordered a bottle of Asahi (@$8++), and for food we had the Sakana Teriyaki Bento (cod fish) and a saba shioyaki.

The cod fish was of a good size, plump, moist and melt in your mouth kind. The bento also consist of a small mound of mashed potato salad, a slice of konyaku, a medium sized cooked prawn, some vinegared item and few slices of salmon (2) and tuna sashimi (3). My friend commented that the cooked prawn was very fresh.

The saba shioyaki looked nicer than it tasted.

For more pictures, you may wish to visit here.

Good Bento, Not So Good Service

As I work in the vicinity, Sugisawa is one of my more frequented joints for business lunches and/or dinners.

To me, one would come to this place for their bento box sets, which are decently portioned and are also decently priced as well.

Whatever your choice of bento might be, Sugisawa's bento will not disappoint. From the katsus to the unagi, from tempura to saba, the food quality doesn't vary too much, even when the kitchen is packed with orders on a busy weekend evening.

Having said that however, what irks me the most is really down to the service level. While I admit Sugisawa is a small establishment, the service is a bit of a hit-and-miss affair for me. Oftentimes, especially when I'm seated outside, I find it impossible to get the attention of the service staff.

And when I'm seated on the inside? A number of times for dinners, I've been quite rudely chased out by the elderly lady staff, who is looking to turn the tables around faster rather than allowing me to enjoy my time in the restaurant. On one occasion, the elderly lady said to me and my business associate, "Can I clear the table now, I want give you the bill?". It was really a rude shock for me as I was in the middle of a discussion with my business associate, and while I understand where they are coming from, it must be noted that I'm not the only person there who is trying to talk business over a meal.

All in all, good food, not so good service.