Reviews for Sumiya

3.8

AsianJapanese

Book a Table

Zabrina Alexis C

Incredible value in daily set lunches (incl. weekends)

I have a feeling that one day I’m really going to regret having posted this. Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya has been around for a while but I don’t think many people have discovered it yet – which is why I have feelings of both fear and excitement (which, I know, sounds a little extreme for feelings towards a restaurant but legit nonetheless); fear for when it gets popular, I’m not going to be able to get a seat for a long time to come, and yet, excitement, at how much potential Sumiya has.

Check out my complete review at https://memoirsoftaste.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/sumiya-charcoal-grill-izakaya-singapore/, where I provide you a rundown of the ambience, dishes, and share a tip or two.
20 Feb 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Incredible value in daily set lunches (incl. weekends)

05 Jan 2015 • 1965 reviews • 260 followers

Good Japanese Grill and More

Replacing Kuriya at Orchard Central is Sumiya, a charcoal grill izakaya concept.

At a recent visit, I started with the Sashimi Platter ($68). Whilst the menu said five kinds of sashimi, there were at least seven premium kinds (salmon belly, chutoro, swordfish, sweet prawn, scallop, yellowtail, sea urchin), including an abalone that was thrown in when the wait staff found out I liked it.  Very good value if you ask me.

From the grill I tried the Awabi Isoyaki ($18.80), an abalone slightly grilled.

I also had the Chicken Karaage ($8.80), large chunky and tender pieces of chicken.

I then tried the Bamboo Unagi and Ikura ($16.80), which was a small set of rice with well grilled eel topped with fresh salmon roe.

I also tried the Wagyu Beef Curry ($24.80). The curry seemed to be made in house as it did not have the usual thick instant paste and was quite watery.

I washed it all down with the Snowcrab soup ($7.80).

Overall, was quite impressed with the food. Service was also very efficient and friendly.
  • 5 Kinds Sashimi
17 Nov 2014 • 2 reviews • 0 follower

Lunch with a view at affortable prices

I had a great time with my family at this restaurant sometime in June.
Their weekday lunch set is of good value.
Thus, will be planning to visit them during this holiday sometime soon.  ;)

More writing and photos here:

Similar Listings