Summary

All Set Lunches, chirashi don, Yakitori, Asahi draft, Chirashi, Grilled Cod Fish, Grilled Food, Mix Bara Kaisen Don, Pumpkin salad, Tuna sashimi steak View all
After Work, Ala Carte, BBQ, View/Scenery, Dinner, Lunch View all

4pax Family Lunch @ Sumiya on 20Dec2015

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/12/20/4pax-family-lunch-sumiya-on-20dec2015/

son was back from london for holidays.

we decided to have a sunday family lunch. mikuni was fully booked so we went to sumiya on 20.12.2015. ^^

came to sumiya a few times, most recetly with a RI friend on 30.10.2015.

then the bara kaisen don set was still S$18.80 & the wagyu don set S$30.80. price had gone up since. the bara kaisen don set still ok at S$20.80, but the wagyu don set went up very steep, now at S$38.80!it was excellent though, the beef was so wonderful, very marbled & tasty! :-)

c/w the realtively poor S$50 wagyu & onion don at ginzawa that was much below expectations.

2 of us had the bara kaisen don set, wife had the anago don set (forgot to take photos) & youngest daughter had the ex S$38.80 wagyu don set.

the bara kaisen don just just as good. sashimi cuts were very fresh & tasty.

salad was usual.

there was chawanmushi. it was ok but btw item for the set.

we all agreed my own chawanmushi was better – smooth, tasty.

side today was sweet potatoes. nicely sweet with good bite texture.

& we all liked the mochi.

very nice cream inside, not so sweet la so quite edible!

had a great family lunch.

Most helpful reviews for Sumiya (Orchard Central)

Must tries : pumpkin & potato salad, chargrilled items, skewers

For the full review and pictures, please visit : http://www.strictlyours.com/2013/07/sumiya.html

Asahi beer tower at $42++
A glass of wine at $7++

1) Moshio Edamame- $6/grab

Armed with a glove, patrons are invited to dip their hands into the giant bowl of edamame and grab as many as they can, while the staff chants "chai chai chai" and the drum is beaten with zest. It's a really interesting sight!

2) Sweet Pumpkin Salad - $5
 Potato salad with Mentai Mayonnaise - $4

This was one of our favourite dishes! The potato and pumpkin were in puree form and this dish carried a variety of flavours and textures that have been brilliantly melded together and this was just absolutely delicious!

3) Prawn Tempura Roll - $7.80

Simple good old sushi but very satisfying!

4) Do-It-Yourself Table Sumiyaki
 Conger eel, soft smoked squid, dried baby squid, semi-dried hage fish

Our favourite was the soft smoked squid! We adored the sweetness that it carried!

5) Sashimi - $8.80 (5 pieces)

Fresh and fat pieces of sashimi! The selection of sashimi available at Sumiya includes salmon, tuna, swordfish and yellowtail

6)French Fries with Truffle Oil - $6

With the exception of the top few pieces, the rest of the fries hardly had the taste of truffle oil. I guess it would be good if more truffle oil was added to the middle and bottom portions of the fries!

7) Deep-fried Squid with Chilli Sauce - $6

The lightly crispy squid was soft and chewy and was drizzled with a slightly sweet chilli sauce. Simple but a great dish to have with beer!

8) Char-grilled Skewer (Wagyu Beef Skewer and Bacon-wrapped Eringi Mushroom skewer)

The Wagyu Beef was too tough and it was such a waste that the beef was overcooked. We really liked the bacon-wrapped Eringi mushroom skewer though! The juicy and soft mushroom, together with the thin piece of bacon, were flawless!

utterly fantastic and amazingly fun izakaya

photos and more:  http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/sumiya-japanese-charcoal-grill-somerset/

I can’t quite recall the last time I ever described a place as fun – and I’m not really that sort of bouncy jovial person anyway (I might swing a little too much to the other side of things) – but that’s all I thought while there. izakayas are boisterous places – plates of good food and never-empty glasses of beer to lubricate conversations and wind down after a long day, and staff who know how to keep the place cheerful and loud enough for you to do so; this place has all those qualities in spades.   as it is, the dishes are both familiar and well-prepared – don’t come expecting overtly innovative preparations and poncy arrangements. while it isn’t posh japanese fine-dining, it truly is very good. fresh ingredients simply prepared, an array of comfortingly familiar flavors, and served at a well-met pace.   n.b. get the yakitori with the leeks - those were some delicious things.    the place is genuinely lovely: a vantage point over town, and a location so exclusive as to be both intimate and cosy – and it truly does remind me of japan. the staff were friendly, enthusiastic – and gracious the way only japanese can be. be prepared for a boisterous night – I’ve been told the asahi is the cheapest here at $4.90 a mug, which might account for it – and if not, it’s a welcoming place where you can, like me, clink your water to your friend’s beer mugs, and call it a day.   and if that all weren’t enough, here’s the kicker: almost every dish on the menu is priced at less than a tenner. great ambience and good food (and cheap beer, if you’re into that) – I certainly will be coming back.

Skip dinner time

I have been hearing so many good review about their bara chirashi don, so I decided to go for a try on a Friday evening. To my surprise, their bara chirashi don cost almost $40 during their dinner time. Initially, my thought maybe the portion given for the fresh sashimi is probably different. So I went on to check with the staff, she told me the portion is exactly the same as the one in lunch set which cost like $18++. To be honest, if the portion is greater than the one in lunch set, I would still probably consider even the dinner bara chirashi don is ala carte, but is totally the same! Why would one pay so much more for something that is exactly the same or even lesser. Anyway, I was already disappointed and the staff there wasn't really attentive to our table. I tried waving, but it took quite awhile for them to come. (almost wanted to leave). When my food arrived, obviously I did not order the bara chirashi don but the unagi bamboo rice which turn out to be decently good, so it did make my mood a bit better! Overall, I would say skip their dinner time unless you really love to pay more for food that is the same during their lunch time.

Value-for-money Chirashidon lunch special

Tucked in the ?highest floor of Orchard Central, not many people would have heard of this place unless they googled "Good Chirashidons in Singapore" or something.

I came here with a group of friends to try their lunch special it comprised of:
 1) Mixed chirashidon - the rice was below average and disappointing, but the sashimi made up for it. The sashimi portions may not be plentiful but packs a real punch when it comes to flavor. The meal came with this special sauce for the sashimi, but it was too salty and most of us reverted back to the good'ol soya sauce
 2) Chawanmushi - honestly one of the better tasting chawanmushi I have tried (only Otooya defeats it hands down)
 3) Sweet potato and pickles - hits and misses, but it was a miss for me
 4) Salad with sesame dressing - delightfully refreshing
 5) Mochi dessert - quite large in size. It didn't blow my mind as how everyone else described but it was a good way to end the meal

Imagine all that for just $20++! Personally my favourite Chirashidon place is still Sushi Bar, but for something less pricey, Sumiya deserves its place as having good value-for-money Chirashidon. I would recommend if you want to try something new instead of Sushi Bar-ing every other day