Review for Sumiya (Orchard Central)

3.8

AsianJapanese
Address: #12-02, Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road, 238896

23 Jul 2013
Overall

Going high for Japanese food.

For my complete review, visit

Located at the pinnacle of Orchard Central, the newly opened Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya is a rambunctious casual dining joint that scores high points for its decor (a graduation from 1950s roadside setup to  1960s Orchard Yokocho and finally to the 70s -80s Dining Izakaya) and merry making ambience. With roof access and a lovely sunset view to boot, there's more reason for food and booze enthusiasts to nestle themselves in the enclaves of Sumiya. Note that Asahi Draft Beer are priced at $4.90++ per mug as per the ongoing promotion which is proclaimed to be the lowest price in town, now that's worth a try!

On our gastronomic journey through the premises, we were brought to the outdoor terrace, where patrons can have a go at the Do-It-Yourself Garden BBQ. Some of the offerings include Angus Beef, beef tongue, wagyu beef, marinated chicken and assorted vegetables. Start your weekend night of partying with an invigorating pint of beer and cheerful company over the BBQ, that pretty much sounds ideal to me.

Expect the standard fare at Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya, boosted only by a sprinkling of marketing magic. We started with the Prawn Tempura Roll Sushi, simple and unassuming. Then moved on to the Potato Salad with Mentai Mayonnaise and Sweet Pumpkin Salad, both of which were seasoned beautifully and its creamy luscious texture added a bit of full bodied lavishness to the spread that night. The Salmon Sashimi tempted me into submission with its gorgeous rubied tones of the sliced salmon, the fresh hamachi beckoning with its evident suppleness.

Fancy something a little off the beaten track. Try out the Do-It-Yourself Table Sumiyaki of Assorted Dried Fish, consisting of a platter of conger eel, soft smoked squid, dried baby squid, semi-dried hage fish ready to be placed on the mini barbecue pits at our tables.

Let's not forget the promotion for the $6/grab Moshio Edamame, a real good bargain for those with seriously BIG hands. The duo, one carrying a towering basket of willowy gently salted beans at hand, and the other, toting percussion drums sure created a stir in the dining room.

The Char-grilled Wagyu Beef Skewer and Bacon wrapped Eringi Mushroom Skewer is a delight, an example of a classic main done right. Since Sumiya specialises in the art of charcoal grill, I expected nothing less. The former served with leeks on a stick, helped to enhance the tenderness and fragrance of the beef slices.

Last but not least, we dug into the Deep-fried Squid with Chilli Sauce, a showcase of the deep fried items included on the menu. This dish, with a sweet and savoury mix, did not pay off for me, the freshness of the squid squandered away in a chaotic mish-mash of thick red sauce.

Sumiya pleases most with its attention to detail; memorabilia collected lining the counter tops, old school Japanese decor, completed with prompt and attentive service.

More reviews of Sumiya

4pax Family Lunch @ Sumiya on 20Dec2015

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/12/20/4pax-family-lunch-sumiya-on-20dec2015/

son was back from london for holidays.

we decided to have a sunday family lunch. mikuni was fully booked so we went to sumiya on 20.12.2015. ^^

came to sumiya a few times, most recetly with a RI friend on 30.10.2015.

then the bara kaisen don set was still S$18.80 & the wagyu don set S$30.80. price had gone up since. the bara kaisen don set still ok at S$20.80, but the wagyu don set went up very steep, now at S$38.80!it was excellent though, the beef was so wonderful, very marbled & tasty! :-)

c/w the realtively poor S$50 wagyu & onion don at ginzawa that was much below expectations.

2 of us had the bara kaisen don set, wife had the anago don set (forgot to take photos) & youngest daughter had the ex S$38.80 wagyu don set.

the bara kaisen don just just as good. sashimi cuts were very fresh & tasty.

salad was usual.

there was chawanmushi. it was ok but btw item for the set.

we all agreed my own chawanmushi was better – smooth, tasty.

side today was sweet potatoes. nicely sweet with good bite texture.

& we all liked the mochi.

very nice cream inside, not so sweet la so quite edible!

had a great family lunch.

Skip dinner time

I have been hearing so many good review about their bara chirashi don, so I decided to go for a try on a Friday evening. To my surprise, their bara chirashi don cost almost $40 during their dinner time. Initially, my thought maybe the portion given for the fresh sashimi is probably different. So I went on to check with the staff, she told me the portion is exactly the same as the one in lunch set which cost like $18++. To be honest, if the portion is greater than the one in lunch set, I would still probably consider even the dinner bara chirashi don is ala carte, but is totally the same! Why would one pay so much more for something that is exactly the same or even lesser. Anyway, I was already disappointed and the staff there wasn't really attentive to our table. I tried waving, but it took quite awhile for them to come. (almost wanted to leave). When my food arrived, obviously I did not order the bara chirashi don but the unagi bamboo rice which turn out to be decently good, so it did make my mood a bit better! Overall, I would say skip their dinner time unless you really love to pay more for food that is the same during their lunch time.

Value-for-money Chirashidon lunch special

Tucked in the ?highest floor of Orchard Central, not many people would have heard of this place unless they googled "Good Chirashidons in Singapore" or something.

I came here with a group of friends to try their lunch special it comprised of:
 1) Mixed chirashidon - the rice was below average and disappointing, but the sashimi made up for it. The sashimi portions may not be plentiful but packs a real punch when it comes to flavor. The meal came with this special sauce for the sashimi, but it was too salty and most of us reverted back to the good'ol soya sauce
 2) Chawanmushi - honestly one of the better tasting chawanmushi I have tried (only Otooya defeats it hands down)
 3) Sweet potato and pickles - hits and misses, but it was a miss for me
 4) Salad with sesame dressing - delightfully refreshing
 5) Mochi dessert - quite large in size. It didn't blow my mind as how everyone else described but it was a good way to end the meal

Imagine all that for just $20++! Personally my favourite Chirashidon place is still Sushi Bar, but for something less pricey, Sumiya deserves its place as having good value-for-money Chirashidon. I would recommend if you want to try something new instead of Sushi Bar-ing every other day

Head over heels with Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya

Sometimes, I come across something so good, that every bite felt soul shining and that I momentarily lose myself in my food. Lunch at Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya @ Orchard Central is just that and perhaps abit more.

Hidden in a little loft at Orchard Central, this gem of a restaurant is one of Orchard’s best kept secret that I almost didn’t feel like sharing.

Sumiya is offering an awesome lunch set deal where you can get a Mix Bara Kaisen Don set for a steal of $18.80 and other equally irresistible options.

The delectable set is food-coma inducing, with a generous bowl full of assorted sashimi cubes, avocado and blanketed with toboki and salmon roe. It comes with sesame sauce should you need that additional umami kick but its hardly required here. Completing the set are other side kicks like chawanmushi, an appetizer, miso soup, salad and mochi. This set is a force to be reckoned with. Less belly bursting but still delicious is the Ni Anago Don Set with delicately simmered conger eel.

A hearty choice would be the Teriyaki Chicken Don set. Tender morsels of teriyaki chicken makes a satisfying lunch.

I’m not sure how long the lunch set promotion would last, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be visiting Sumiya again and again.

Very Enjoyable S$18.80 Bara Chirashi Don @ Sumiya on 30Oct2015

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/10/30/very-enjoyable-s18-80-bara-chirashi-don-sumiya-on-30oct2015/

have not gone back to sumiya for a while, forgot how good the bara chirashi don set was for the price.

last time i wrote about the bara chirashi don set here was on nov2014.

today i went with a good friend to sumiya for lunch at 12.50pm on 30.10.2015. ^^ after that we walked over to orchard cineleisure to watch the movie “the martian”.

sumiya was crowded.

full house on a weekday lunchtime. so better book!

we ordered 2 “mixed bara kaisen don” set @ S$18.80 ea. we asked for sushi rice (there is a note on the menu to say the default is normal rice but you can ask for sushi rice with no charge).

it came with appetizer, salad, pickles, chawanmushi, miso soup & dessert.

japanese tea was also foc. we had 1 cold & 1 hot green tea.

chawanmushi was by the way thing. the appetizer, miso soup, pickles as well, but i guess still good to have. :-)

salad was great.

my own chawanmushi is lots better.^^

& the mochi dessert was quite excellent! :-) the mochi dough was soft & perfect mochi texture.

there was another layer of tasty cream inside the bean paste.

restaurant is on the rooftop & we were seated by the window, so there was view as well.most importantly, the chirashi don was very good. usually bara chirashi don uses small diced sashimi from leftover bits. this one here has larger cubes & the sashimi was really fresh & sweet. there was no expensive sashimi of course, just salmon, maguro & kajiki, with lots of ikura & tobiko, & avogado.

& the sushi rice was great too!

cannot ask more for a S$18.80 chirashi don set.