Back to Sumiya#12-02, Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road
Evans and Raevian
 • 03 Jun 2014 11 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya is a modern, industrial-themed Japanese restaurant that specializes in charcoal grilled food. The literal translation of “Sumiya” is charcoal (sumi) house (ya).

The restaurant has an interesting ambience with its raw industrial design combined with elements of a traditional izakaya joint and walls are lined with decorative motifs of Japanese folk art and prints. Most pleasant feature is the great rooftop view from the restaurant while dining.

Food and Drinks
The use of charcoal in Japanese grilling helps to seal in the juicy taste of the food. It also gives the food a distinct smoky aroma. I had the Taka chan double soup ramen ($8.80) and a teriyaki Chicken and Leek ($4.50) kushiyaki (Japanese for ‘skewer’). My friends ordered the Squid ($6) kushiyaki, Salmon Sashimi ($8.80) and a few other sides. Some of the interesting menu items include the Unagi Chawanmushi ($7.50) and Beef Tongue ($10). I contemplated ordering the beef tongue for adventure’s sake but thought better against it.

For drinks, I ordered a good old Asahi super dry ($8.50) draft beer while my friends had the Shochu Cocktail ($8) which comes in different flavours such as lemon, lime, calpis, oolong, among others.

Overall, it was a satisfying meal. The kushiyakis tasted decent, and the squid/ sashimi we ordered were fresh, which is especially important for seafood. Even though the price was slightly on the high side, the food was fresh and the service decent. If you are craving for Japanese charcoal grilled food at a restaurant with a scenic view, Sumiya Charcoal Grill Izakaya is the place for you!

Check out our full reviews and photos at http://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2014/05/sumiya-charcoal-grill-izakaya-orchard-central/

After Work