Review for Summer Palace (夏宫)

3.9

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum
Address: 3F, The Regent Singapore, 1 Cuscaden Road, 249715
19 Mar 2014

Worth the visit

It doesn't matter whether you are looking for dim sum or cooked dishes, as you can find it all at Summer Palace. Their dim sum is nice and unique, and do note that they do not serve with sharkfins - which is very environmentally friendly. It is definitely worth your visit and you will not be disappointed.

I recommend to go with the set meals and may be top up with a few dim sum dishes.

Dim Sum

More reviews of Summer Palace

A restaurant week lunch

It was restaurant week again and we decided to do Chinese for once. Since neither of us had ever been to Summer Palace, we decided to give their lunch a shot.

Located on the third floor of Regent Singapore, just a level above Basilico, Summer Palace houses a rather traditional Chinese interior complete with wooden chairs, golden pillars and a floor of red trim carpeting. We were lucky to be seated by the window (3 such tables available) but there was honestly no view to speak of except for the pool below and the hotel guests sunbathing by it. Still, I appreciated the serenity of the whole place.

Chef's Dim Sum Selection - Deep Fried Prawn Roll with Mango - I liked the crisp, deep fried rice noodles that encapsulated bits of crunchy prawn but unfortunately, the taste of mango was almost non existent. What was interesting was that the mayonnaise that came served alongside actually had hints of mango in it. Or was I imagining things?

Barbecued Pork Bun with Pine Nuts - Boasting a crusty, not too sweet top and a generous filling of sweet, mildly gooey BBQ pork, the bun was actually pretty respectable. However, unlike my personal favourite from Lung King Heen, the sweetness from the BBQ pork actually overwhelmed the nutty taste of the pine nuts and the bun itself wasn't as soft or chewy.

Steamed Prawn Dumpling with Bird's Nest -This was your typical 虾角 with a mere aesthetic upgrade aka tasteless shreds of birds nest. Throw in a relatively limp dumpling skin and you have an average prawn dumpling.

Double Boiled Ginseng with Fish Maw, Conpoy and Bamboo Piths - Although I'm personally not a fan of ginseng, this soup was quite good in my humble opinion. Tasty yet light with the mild taste of ginseng helping to keep the nausea at bay and the spongy fish maw coming across as crunchy.

Stir Fried Fish Cubes with Asparagus in Teriyaki Sauce - Flaky and smooth flesh coupled with a light sweetness from the teriyaki sauce and a mild savouriness from the stir fried garlic and ginger. Pretty good. Only issue I had was that the sweetness of the teriyaki dominated the natural sweetness of the cod fish, which I personally am quite a fan of.

Fried Glass Vermicelli with Crabmeat and Black Pepper - A tad chewy with an abundance of wok hei, crab meat shreds and black pepper for that mildly peppery kick, the glass vermicelli was pretty decent. And the beansprouts added a nice crunchiness to it.

Due to the character limit, see my entire review and all my pictures here.

Overall

Nice Authentic Cantonese Restaurant with Good Service!

For full review and photos, please visit

Visited on 20 March 2015 (Fri) during Restaurant Week Lunch. Summer Palace is an authentic Cantonese restaurant with two Hong Kong chefs.

Their service was very good, our tea was always refilled promptly. Food quality was between average to slightly above average for the restaurant week that day. Heard that Summer Palace is a favourite among Singaporeans, they offer extensive dim sum selection during lunch! If you're looking for authentic Cantonese restaurant with good service, this is the place for you!

Special Claypot Rice menu this festive season

For full review and pictures, do visit therantingpanda.com

Located in the centrally located Regent Singapore hotel near Orchard Road, Summer Palace is one of the most authentic award-winning Cantonese restaurant in Singapore helmed by Executive Chef Liu from Hong Kong.

The Food Other than the traditional Cantonese classic dishes on the menu, Summer Palace has launched its special claypot rice menu this Winter season, available from now till 31 January 2015.

For the highlights of the claypot rice menu, we simply have to try the Chef Liu’s hometown rendition of the traditional Flavoured Assorted Preserved Meat Claypot Rice ($68, serves 2 – 4 pax). It was a visual treat for us the moment the preserved meat was served separately, before the friendly and knowledgeable service staff mixed it with the claypot rice. It was a good mix of preserved meats which added a varied taste to the fragrant rice, from air-dried Chinese pork and liver sausages to waxed duck and preserved pork belly. I would recommend adding some soy sauce as well for an even more flavoured taste.

A Chinese Restaurant where one can have it All

I have been to many Chinese fine dining establishments and Summer Palace is the best all-rounder among the Chinese Restaurants.

Reason: They provide the best service among all the Chinese Restaurants I had been to: meticulous, friendly with a genuine warmth and prompt response. It definitely helps that they actually remember our preferences whenever we go there (Yeah, we are kind of like regular customers there already). In addition, they do not have this timing thing, commonly seen in Chinese Restaurants where they only allocated 11/2 hours or so for you to finish dining, which is all good with me.

As for the food: No over-powering sauces or MSG needed (which is exactly what I like) since the natural sweetness and fragrance of the extremely fresh ingredients used, say it all. The dim sum items are one of the best, with moist texture and light aromatic flavours, showcasing the great creativity of the chef. Bird's nest dumpling is a must try. The other dim sum items are all delicately made and are delicate in taste.

The creation of fresh garoupa fish with truffle is absolutely beautiful in taste due to the silky fish meat being drizzled with the strongly flavoured sauce of the woody aroma. The crab meat with rice is another winner—the result of the generous helping of fresh crab meat adorning the top of the pile of fragrant, lightly seasoned rice. The double-boiled soups are bursting with flavours of the abundance of treasures put inside them. Scallops, fishes, shellfish, herbs, fruits, vegetables, this restaurant is very generous in adding these into the soups.

Though I need to add that it will be hard to see the standard of the service and food during Chinese New Year since these are usually adversely affected during such periods.

The ambience: unbeatable also. Since the tables are amply spaced between each other and the view of the bamboo-like greenery outside, extending across one entire side of the place induces a calm and serene mood. Book early for a table by the side of the glass panels (max four persons for a table there).

Good service and good food is a winning formula for me!

This review (with pictures) can be found on my blog: http://morsels-of-delice.blogspot.sg/2014/09/summer-palace-chinese-restaurant-where.html

Hits and Misses - Know what to order and what not to order

For the full review with pictures, go to: http://pickledpeas.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/wedding-dinner-tasting-at-the-summer-palace/   This post will cover dishes in the wedding dinner/banquet menu at the Regent Singapore.   Cold dish- we opted for the smoked duck, crispy baby squid, lobster salad, chicken money bag, and spring roll. Everything was really nice! Probably not going for the smoked duck though and replacing that with jelly fish. The crispy baby squid were really quite good- best I've ever had. They were not very generous with the lobster for the lobster salad though.   Eight treasure soup.. meh. Not a big fan. They always recommend this cause it’s thick and has lots of ingredients but I thought it was pretty bland.   King prawns in Summer Palace sauce (sweet and sour) – Skip this. So much hassle deshelling them, better to go for a scallop dish in the same category. Also “summer palace special sauce” just means sweet and sour sauce, which is really rather underwhelming.   Bi Feng Tang roasted crispy chicken – this was really good! Not the normal roast crispy chicken, it comes scattered with fried shallots, hay bee, and slivered almonds. Would prefer it with keropok and that nice five spice salt but it was really well seasoned all the way through.   Braised baby abalone with broccoli – another meh dish. The baby abalone was good I suppose but the oyster sauce was rather underwhelming.   Cod fish baked in honey teriyaki sauce. I ordered this just for fun since it’s so off the beaten track, but it turned out being really good. We’re actually going to go with this instead of the typical HK style steamed soon hock, which I also love.   Deep fried spare ribs in red wine sauce that nobody liked. At this point everyone was stuffed to the brim. Anyway the dish itself wasn’t great. I think we’re going to do away with this dish altogether.   Deep fried mantou with chilli crab sauce… not at all like Singaporean chilli crab. We suspect it’s cause it’s a Cantonese chef. Well we told them to omit the bean paste that came in the sauce.   Passionfruit and chocolate mousse – really quite good. Not everyone likes passionfruit though. Should have tried the orh nee perhaps, but this was a bigger question mark. We’re going with the tiramisu for the final selection!   The best thing I liked about this Chinese restaurant was that they served the girls at the table first. We have come so far from our patriarchal heritage! I almost feel proud.