Sashimi8 votes

Wine Lists3 votes

The Hungry Bunny
 • 18 Aug 2014 554 reviews 20 followers
Overall
For the full review, please go to http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/05/sun-with-moon-japanese-dining.html

The food's painfully amateurish and pitifully child-sized. Granted, their food's very accessibly priced, with most mains averaging well below $20, but I still left feeling like I'd wasted both my money and calories. Props to the marketing team behind the conceptualization of the menu though, it was key in crafting a very misleading idea of the food actually served. Ironically, I might have not given such a scathing review if my expectations of the food hadn't been so heightened by the beautifully photographed menu.

We had:

1) Salmon Fillet Steak ($13.80): served alongside tater tots, a lone broccoli floret and the most gauche spaghetti ever done. It was stringy, droopy and memorably awful. The dish would have been better off without the spaghetti, because the salmon was actually passable. It was grilled just right, and fairly fresh.

2) Beef Sirloin Steak ($16.80): the best part of this was the crisp garlic sprinkles. The beef, marinated in garlic soy, was supposedly medium rare, but arrived medium well done. On the upside, I really got to work my jaw chewing on the beef.

3) Tofu Kaisen Ankake Nabe ($13.80): gloopy, insipid gravy and littered with overdone, mushy prawns.

poohpuppy
 • 28 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Been here twice. Food pretty okay. Portion size okay as well. Really love the tofu cheese cake and matcha tiramisu. However, service really need to be improved on. It seems like they do not have enough staffs and when it is a full house, most of the staffs just adopt a 'heck-care' attitude. Eg: table is already full with trays and bowls etc and the staff is serving the dessert. So what they staff did was just to stack the dessert plate on top of the already full tray with the dirty bowls from dinner. Really unacceptable.

I will still return for the food until I find someplace better.

ArcticStar
 • 02 Jun 2014 259 reviews 1 follower
Overall
My last visit to Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe was years back, after hearing lots of raves. Tonight, I return to this lovely place for dinner, and to recollect its sumptuous dishes.

I was in the mood of sushi but being someone who don't eat much rice, these smaller portions of mix-and-match sushi suited me just fine (SGD$9.00 for 4 sushi rolls in 2 flavors) - one had a choice of Salmon Maki, Beef Steak Maki, Dragon Roll, Avocado Roll etc. I chose the Beef Steak Roll and Salmon Maki combination.

The Salmon Maki was tasty - salmon sashimi slices embracing rice, minced salmon with mayonnaise and topped with salmon roe. For a salmon lover, this was an indulgence of all-things-salmon. The rice was soft and the salmon was sweetly scrumptious; it was easy to love this dish.

The Beef Steak Maki was something unique to me - cheese and meat rolled with rice, topped with slices of tender beef steaks. A good combination of flavors and textures, I was glad I ordered this to try.

Finally, I satiated my craving of soft shell crabs with this Soft Shell Crab Tempura (SGD$10.80) - another interesting dish since most Japanese restaurants serve ebi tempura only. The crab is encased in a thin layer of flour and fried to a perfect crispiness, yet its natural saccharine flavor is retained. It was tempting to order another plate of this but I was feeling very full already.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to check out:

Must tries: Sashimi, Chawanmushi, soft shell crab tempura, salmon maki, beef steak maki

Business Dining, Dinner, Lunch