Sashimi8 votes

Wine Lists3 votes

ArcticStar
 • 02 Jun 2014 207 reviews 1 follower
Overall
My last visit to Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe was years back, after hearing lots of raves. Tonight, I return to this lovely place for dinner, and to recollect its sumptuous dishes.

I was in the mood of sushi but being someone who don't eat much rice, these smaller portions of mix-and-match sushi suited me just fine (SGD$9.00 for 4 sushi rolls in 2 flavors) - one had a choice of Salmon Maki, Beef Steak Maki, Dragon Roll, Avocado Roll etc. I chose the Beef Steak Roll and Salmon Maki combination.

The Salmon Maki was tasty - salmon sashimi slices embracing rice, minced salmon with mayonnaise and topped with salmon roe. For a salmon lover, this was an indulgence of all-things-salmon. The rice was soft and the salmon was sweetly scrumptious; it was easy to love this dish.

The Beef Steak Maki was something unique to me - cheese and meat rolled with rice, topped with slices of tender beef steaks. A good combination of flavors and textures, I was glad I ordered this to try.

Finally, I satiated my craving of soft shell crabs with this Soft Shell Crab Tempura (SGD$10.80) - another interesting dish since most Japanese restaurants serve ebi tempura only. The crab is encased in a thin layer of flour and fried to a perfect crispiness, yet its natural saccharine flavor is retained. It was tempting to order another plate of this but I was feeling very full already.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to check out:

Must tries: Sashimi, Chawanmushi, soft shell crab tempura, salmon maki, beef steak maki

Business Dining, Dinner, Lunch

chefquak
 • 19 May 2014 156 reviews 1 follower
Overall
See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/05/19/excellent-5pax-birthday-dinner-sun-with-moon-wheelock-on-16may2014/

daughter booked 5pax dinner at sun with moon @ wheelock to celebrate the birthday of our domestic help on 16.5.2014.
i really enjoyed the excellent lunch here on 7.5.2014. this the first time i came for dinner.
the chirashi don was very tasty, both the fresh sashimi & rice. i supposed in terms of quality of ingredients, it’s hard to beat the S$20 chirashi don lunch set at ginza kuroson, but that was lunch, this dinner.
wife & another daughter did not want a heavy set, so ordered a dobin mushi plus a okonomiyaki & salmon maki to share.
dobin mushi was ok, competent.
okonomiyaki was very good.
& salmon maki was good.
i ordered a unagi kebayaki set for myself. we shared the food of course.
it was very good. the chicken nabe came with a ball of collagen, made the soup very tasty.
the unagi kebayaki was fresh eel. i had not taken unagi for a while & this one was good!
the salmon sashimi side dish here is always good. i always add that to my lunch set for S$3.
our domestic help ordered a teriyaki cod & tempura set. i did no try. the cod looked great & the tempura had 3 large prawns, really good set!
we were attracted by the tofu cheese cake so ordered take-out to bring home as birthday cake for our domestic helper.
after eating this tofu cheese cake, i googled & found an excellent internet recipe & made my own very good tofu cheese cake. that was really fun.
for me, both lunch & dinner sets here were excellent value for money. the 5pax dinner cost S$150 though we only ordered 3 dinner sets plus some ala carte to share.

chefquak
 • 08 May 2014 156 reviews 1 follower
Overall
ee my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/05/08/enjoyable-lunch-sun-with-moon-on-7may2014/

went with wife to sun with moon at wheelock for lunch on 7.5.2014. last came to sun with moon wheelock 4 months ago on 7.1.2014
there was a 20% discount promotion for kamameshi set so i picked the unagi & gyu set & picked a kurobuta side dish (came with the set including soup & pickles & a drink). we also added a chawanmushi & a salmon sashimi (S$3.50 for each item). my wife ordered a maki & a green tea mochi parfait. we shared all the food.
the kuobuta side dish was very good. there were 4 large slices of pork which came in a tasty broth.
the kamameshi (釜饭) pot had a thick wooden cover, and they placed an hourglass for accurate timing….maybe 5mins not sure…
it was a very large helping. the rice was very fragrant, tasty & the unagi & beef were all good.
i ordered ice green tea which was included for the set & my wife added S$1 for her hot green tea.
the kochi parfait was still nice though the price went up from $4.90 couple years back to $6.80 now.
forgot to take photos of the maki (S$15) but it was quite good though not a must have item for us. after 20% discounts, the kamameshi set cost S$24. all in we paid S$60. the other place i used to go was kuriya dining at great world city. however recently, prices there had gone up quite a bit, and the lunch sets i liked are now priced at S$68pax instead of S$58pax, a 15% increase.
will come back for sure. the 20% discounts on kamameshi promotion will expire 31.5.2014.