Sashimi7 votes

Wine Lists3 votes

chefquak
 • 09 Jan 2014 125 reviews 1 follower
Overall
See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/01/08/quality-lunch-sets-sun-with-moon-at-wheelock-on-7jan2014/

son was flying back to london in the evening. we wanted to go for a quick family lunch. kuriya dining was full so we decided to go sun with moon at wheelock on 7.1.2014.

there were wide choices of lunch sets which were reasonably priced. my son & i picked the S$21.80 mini beef don with kaisen (seafood) hotplate, and added S$3.50 for 3 pieces of salmon sashimi.

the beef don was excellent, very tasty & good helping of beef. i always like dons especially chirashi don anyway. the seafood pot included 3 pieces of unagi (eel), 2 large cut of salmon & 1 scallop. it was tasty too. the salmon sashimi was excellent, better than those served at good buffet, of sushi counter standard. the ume (plum) jelly was good.

my daughter had the sushi A set (i think also S$21.80) which came with a pork nabe, again a good helping of shabu (thin sliced) pork which was good. the sushi looked ok but not great.

my wife had beef & tori (chicken) kamameshi (釜饭). i wasn’t a fan of kamameshi but this was very fragrant.like my wife said the kaisen kamameshi were average but this beef & chicken one had great flavours infused with the rice. excellent dish but cost a fair bit more at S$28. i would not select this myself but it was a good combination with other sets as we shared some of the food.

overall, i think sun with moon lunch sets offered quality & quite good value in the <$30 range. for higher priced sets, i would go for the S$48/S$58 mini kaiseki lunch at kuriya dining, or the lunch sets or ala carte at mikuni with 50% feed at raffles discounts.

Must tries: beef don & seafood hotplate set

goindo
 • 24 Oct 2013 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
We went there at around 9.30pm and while we were still having our food at about 10.30pm, the staff keep coming to clear our tables. There was still food we were finishing. We kept telling that we were not done yet. But one after another kept coming, first taking away the soya sauce, the chili flakes... etc. The restaurant closing hour is 11pm. When we went to pay at the cashier counter, we provided feedback to the restaurant manager. To our bewilderment, he did not even apologise for the bad service. Instead, he told us that the staff are tired and wants to go home early !!!!!

Hazelleo
 • 23 Oct 2013 62 reviews 1 follower
Overall

Since August is my birthday month, my seniors have arranged a pre-birthday dinner session at Sun with Moon located at Wheelock Place (Date of visit: 16/8/2013). It is accessible by train and walking distance from Orchard MRT Station. I was late for the dinner as usual due to my work.
Anyway, here are the dishes that we ordered that night:-
Gindara Teriyaki & Ebi Tempura @S$29.80 . Grilled cod fish in teriyaki sauce served with assorted tempura. The gindara teriyaki size is very small. Ebi Tempura was crispy in the outside and the prawn is fresh.

I tried the Beef & Foie Gras Steak @S$33.80. Grilled beef sirloin and foie gras with slice apple in teriyaki sauce. It is quite innovative creation and turned out to taste delicious. The grilled beef was soft, tender and juicy and not to mention the foie gras taste awesome with the combination of the slice apple and sauce.
Salmon Teriyaki & Chicken Steak with the choice of black pepper sauce or teriyaki @S$15.80. Grilled salmon steak and chicken steak that goes well with the teriyaki sauce. The portion is quite small and not worth the value paying though. Nevertheless, the taste of the food is quite decent.
Salmon Chirashi Set @S$27.80. Nice presentation of sushi rice bowl with salmon sashimi,salmon roe and grilled salmon. My favourite fish all time. Sushi rice was sticky and tasty with the sushi vinegar taste.
I find the price is kinda pricey compared to other Japanese restaurants in Singapore that offers good Japanese food at a similar or lower price. This is my personal opinion and I may not want to return in near future given the available choices of Japanese restaurants in Singapore that offers similar dishes.
For more food blog review: http://www.hazeldiary.com
After Work