Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe (Wheelock Place) (さん东京和食)

Summary

Sashimi, Tofu Cheese Cake, Chawanmushi, Sukiyaki, green tea parfait, Kamameshi, Seafood Kamameshi, foie gras, Beef Yakiniku Set (with rice), Beef with Foie Gras Kamameshi, Black Seasame Pudding, California Roll, Chicken teriyaki, Chocolate Crepe, Hamburger set lunch, Kajiki sashimi, Kamameshi and Chawanmushi, Orange Gratin, Pan fried foie gras with lettuce, Rainbow Roll, Riceball dessert, Salmon Kamameshi, Spicy Aburi Salmon Roll, Tonjiri Saba Shioyaki set, Unagi & Clam, Warabi Mochi parfait, White Coffee Pudding, beef don & seafood hotplate set, beef steak maki, beef yakiniku set with rice, chirashi don, crab cream croquette, lunch set, parfait, rainbow rolls, ramen, salmon maki, sashimi rice, soft shell crab tempura, tempura View all
Dinner, Lunch, After Work, Romance/First Dates, Children/Family, Quiet, Girls Night Out, Business Dining, Chillout, Vibrant/Noisy, Large Groups/Gathering, High Tea, View/Scenery, Fine Dining, Healthy Eating, Private Dining, Boys Night Out, Brunch, Ala Carte, People Watching, Supper, Large Groups, Wine Lists View all

Very innovative japanese food! Come try

This is the 3rd time I came here with my wife. Strangely first two times I did not really have much of an impression. I suspect it is because we always ordered 2 baked rice which was too filling and also because I was slightly prejudiced against their less than traditional japanese decor. Also, I did not like their sashimi which was not finely cut.

Anyway, last night I enjoyed the food. We ordered a very nicely grilled marinated with miso beef prime rib. Very very nice. With chargrilled bits and lots of melted fat taste. We ordered a Aji sashimi which was decent. But this is the only area I do not like too much. First they display their sashimi badly at the counter with too many pieces. Spoil the appetite. Then the aji was served, it was fresh but their staff did not know that aji needs a vinegar sauce and not the usual soy sauce. They did deep fry the bones and it was competently done.

Other dishes we ordered was the ikura sushi (not bad, fresh), a very interesting alaskan crab leg meat with spinach stew thingy. Different but not spectacular.

What made me feel should come try is their desserts. We had the tofu cheese cake (tasted like good cheese cake) and a very good black sesame pudding. A great departure from the usual green tea, redbean , way too sweet japanese dessert.

We also ordered a baked pork rice. Good and the pork was fatty which went well with the rice.

Overall, good experience. Service ok except for the lack of knowledge. Sashimi fresh but lack presentation. Cold Sake was average. They do allowyou to pick your cups though...

COME HERE FOR A SLIGHTLY NON_TRADITIONAL JAPANESE MEAL!

Most helpful reviews for Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe (Wheelock Place)

Sun with Moon, still good after so many years!

My last visit to Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe was years back, after hearing lots of raves. Tonight, I return to this lovely place for dinner, and to recollect its sumptuous dishes.    I was in the mood of sushi but being someone who don't eat much rice, these smaller portions of mix-and-match sushi suited me just fine (SGD$9.00 for 4 sushi rolls in 2 flavors) - one had a choice of Salmon Maki, Beef Steak Maki, Dragon Roll, Avocado Roll etc. I chose the Beef Steak Roll and Salmon Maki combination.   The Salmon Maki was tasty - salmon sashimi slices embracing rice, minced salmon with mayonnaise and topped with salmon roe. For a salmon lover, this was an indulgence of all-things-salmon. The rice was soft and the salmon was sweetly scrumptious; it was easy to love this dish.   The Beef Steak Maki was something unique to me - cheese and meat rolled with rice, topped with slices of tender beef steaks. A good combination of flavors and textures, I was glad I ordered this to try.   Finally, I satiated my craving of soft shell crabs with this Soft Shell Crab Tempura (SGD$10.80) - another interesting dish since most Japanese restaurants serve ebi tempura only. The crab is encased in a thin layer of flour and fried to a perfect crispiness, yet its natural saccharine flavor is retained. It was tempting to order another plate of this but I was feeling very full already.   For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to check out: http://thearcticstar.blogspot.sg/2014/06/dinner-at-sun-with-moon-japanese.html

Good time at Sun with Moon

I went there yesterday for birthday celebration. We had a great time there. The food was served promptly. Th staff was really nice, everyone of them. I am not sure if yesterday was monday, the restaurant not crowded hence they can pay attention to customers well. But all in all, I am happy with the choice made for going there for bdae celebration. This is my forth time there within few months and the food quality has been still up to my standard so far. Highly recommend. The ambience looks good too

Horrible service experience

I guess the entire meal experience was acceptable. Most of the food were decent though honestly I still think that their menu was slightly pricey since one can for sure get a lot more in terms of both quality and quantity at the same price.

Read full review with pictures here:

toufu cheesecake

sometimes i would wonder what is there to eat at wheelock place and this place would definitely come in to my mind. sun with moon japanese dining cafe. it has been giving a lot of people the impression that is it expensive but personally i feel that it is for the quality of the food that you are paying for. and what is more surprising is that one can get a very good standard of beef as well as sushi.
other than that they are also famous for their toufu cheesecake which stands out as they have a nice packing for this and the presentatiion. this cheesecake is not too strong but you still can taste the cheese but not the toufu.