Reviews for Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe (Wheelock Place) (さん东京和食)

3.4

AsianJapanese
Address: #03-15/16/17, Wheelock Place, 501 Orchard Road, 238880
11 Feb 2007
Overall

Very innovative japanese food! Come try

This is the 3rd time I came here with my wife. Strangely first two times I did not really have much of an impression. I suspect it is because we always ordered 2 baked rice which was too filling and also because I was slightly prejudiced against their less than traditional japanese decor. Also, I did not like their sashimi which was not finely cut.

Anyway, last night I enjoyed the food. We ordered a very nicely grilled marinated with miso beef prime rib. Very very nice. With chargrilled bits and lots of melted fat taste. We ordered a Aji sashimi which was decent. But this is the only area I do not like too much. First they display their sashimi badly at the counter with too many pieces. Spoil the appetite. Then the aji was served, it was fresh but their staff did not know that aji needs a vinegar sauce and not the usual soy sauce. They did deep fry the bones and it was competently done.

Other dishes we ordered was the ikura sushi (not bad, fresh), a very interesting alaskan crab leg meat with spinach stew thingy. Different but not spectacular.

What made me feel should come try is their desserts. We had the tofu cheese cake (tasted like good cheese cake) and a very good black sesame pudding. A great departure from the usual green tea, redbean , way too sweet japanese dessert.

We also ordered a baked pork rice. Good and the pork was fatty which went well with the rice.

Overall, good experience. Service ok except for the lack of knowledge. Sashimi fresh but lack presentation. Cold Sake was average. They do allowyou to pick your cups though...

COME HERE FOR A SLIGHTLY NON_TRADITIONAL JAPANESE MEAL!

More reviews of Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Cafe

toufu cheesecake

sometimes i would wonder what is there to eat at wheelock place and this place would definitely come in to my mind. sun with moon japanese dining cafe. it has been giving a lot of people the impression that is it expensive but personally i feel that it is for the quality of the food that you are paying for. and what is more surprising is that one can get a very good standard of beef as well as sushi.
other than that they are also famous for their toufu cheesecake which stands out as they have a nice packing for this and the presentatiion. this cheesecake is not too strong but you still can taste the cheese but not the toufu.

Wagyu

Back in my younger days, i would always go around everywhere in Singapore looking for good food. Sun with moon is one restaurant that leaves with satisfied and happy after eating their food. Ordered for wagyu beef from them , the slices are thin , however you will feel like it melts they moment it enters your mouth. Their sashimi are very fresh too, served on crushed ice and looks very presentable. I would recommend for everyone to try out this place if you love Japanese food.

Lunch

I have not been patronising this restaurant for almost 10yrs.
Thought of having a good lunch at wheelock before i go for a shop.
I dont find the service standard as good as before.

I am hungry for japanese food. Therefore i ordered sashimi rice, deep fried tempura and 1 green tea cheesecake. I love sashimi!

The cashier who is also the restaurant manager who is calculating the cost is rather slow as it seems manpower has reduced. The whole ambience is still ok but quite noisy at times.

Will patronise this restaurant again but not as often.

Toufu Cheesecake!

Sun with Moon; a Japanese dining and cafe restaurant located at Wheelock Orchard Road. This place always have quite a queue if you walk in for your meal, therefore I will strongly recommend to call to reserve your table to avoid disappointment. Personally, I went there on a Friday with my friends, the staff there were friendly and nice when they took our orders. I ordered one of their sushi platter, which taste pretty good! My friend and I also share their toufu cheesecake, which I swear taste really good! Strongly recommend to try it!

Good Food, Good Staff, Nice Ambience

i spend around $50 groupon for $70 voucher. The Japanese food is a bit expensive but the food here is very nice. It is very cute for kid’s meal. The ambiance here is very nice. The green tea was free here when you order a set meal. The service is very good and they will help you to top up green tea without you asking them to refill. The salmon sushi here very nice, even the kid meals got a lot of variety.It is good for whole family here. The charamushi that come with the set is very nice. I will come back next time to eat sun with moon.