Review for Suprette

AmericanWestern
Address: Kam Leng Hotel, 383 Jalan Besar, 209001
26 Aug 2014

a Top 3 Burger for sure

For droolworthy photos of the burgers, visit my blog

The end of my burger drought came in the form of a Suprette Burger ($20, +$3 for extra bacon), this was not just another pretty looking burger stack as it seems like, and somehow I can't get it out of my mind. Here at Suprette, the kitchen doesn't stinge, loading the wax-paper lined platter with an initially intimidating mountain of fries that would unknowingly disappear in a matter of time; seconds optional and highly dangerous. The cook on the beef patty was spot on, a slight pink in the middle teasing me with it's moist innards. The melted gruyere cheese forming a nappage over the patty, lending that edge of complex savoury notes to the construction.

First trip was a charm. Now it was time to put it to my test of 'repeated visits'

The Ken's Heart Attack Burger ($45) is the most dressed-up  version of a burger I've ever laid eyes on. Reaching staggering heights with a double patty, bacon, gruyere and mushrooms all layered by a master builder in the confines of his kitchen. The strips of perfectly fried bacon with the gooey cheese making it a comforting mess of umami and saltiness with a touch of earthiness from the mushrooms. As much as the monster burger carried sensible flavors, it would be crazy not to share this with someone.

My verdict  on this burger aligned with the many opinions I've heard thus far, this is your secret go-to burger. One that fills the voids of broken dreams and horrid days. The cat's out of the bag.

The Suprette Burger, Ken's Heart Attack burger

More reviews of Suprette

Still My Favourite Burger In Singapore Thus Far

I was craving a good burger and the wife happened to be on leave so we headed down to Suprette for lunch one weekday afternoon. Our last visit there was absolutely delicious so it was the natural choice for a burger fix.

Chunky Chicken Chowder - This was part of the set lunch that the wife had and it came across as creamy but a wee bit too salty. However the chicken chunks were plentiful which was rather unexpected.

Chipotle Chicken Sandwich - I had a bite of the chipotle chicken sandwich and it proved to be very decent; a tad creamy with a tinge of spiciness and sandwiched between two crisp bread halves. Served with shoe string fries and salad - all for $15 nett inclusive of a soup and a drink. A pretty decent deal if you ask me.

Suprette Burger - And my sole reason for coming to Suprette, the namesake Suprette Burger ($20 for lunch, $25 for dinner), topped with bacon (+$3) and mushrooms (+$3). The hand chopped patty was done to medium well even though I had requested for medium rare but still came across as flavourful and juicy with bits of fat for texture. Add plentiful mushrooms, crisp bacon strips, a layer of gruyere cheese and two wonderfully buttery and crisp buns for the ultimate enjoyment. Oh and let's not forget the mountain of crisp shoestring fries (free flow if you visit during dinner but a single serving is more than enough for me).

Lunch cost the both of us to the tune of $42.54, which was well worth the money in my humble opinion. A pity there is no option to have the burger as part of the set lunch (even with a top up) but in itself, the set lunch does represent decent value for money. But the draw (to me at least) is still undeniably the burger.

Overall

Forget it...Don't even bother....go somewhere else. They changed its chef and menu...

This place was one of our first dating place for me and my then-boyfriend (now husband). It was also our favourite. Their panseared salmon, pork chop, burgers was superrrr-ette! Until this week when we went there again to re-live good moments shared in that quaint cafe for the past 2 years, the food was the most horrible you can imagine.

Had a pork chop. Large slab of meat dry and unflavourful, side with too much fries....it look totally unappetizing. The only good thing going was its nachos with melted cheese. But then again, i could make it myself too. Buy nachos, buy a jar of cheese with Jalepeno (yummyyyy), pop it into microwave and pour melted cheese onto nachos. viola!

I had a bowl of salad...pfftt!

Awesome Burger In A Heritage Hotel

I was in search of a good burger, having been recently disappointed by W39's over-hyped rendition and word on the street was that Suprette served up one of the best burgers in Singapore in current times. Since it wasn't too far from our place, the wife and I decided to drop by one Sunday morning for brunch (yay to free parking at the public carpark).

Suprette is actually housed in the heritage Kam Leng Hotel (first established in 1927 and later extensively refurbished and reopened in 2012), along the busy and sometimes chaotic Jalan Besar Road. The simply furnished eatery is quite small and can probably take up to about 30 customers in one sitting. As it is located on the ground floor, all the views you get are of cars and passers-by (relatively rare). But the place is cosy in it's own right, exuding an unhurried, small world charm amidst the hustle of the passing traffic. However, having said that, pray for quiet patrons. During our visit, there was a relatively loud table who held us hostage with their gossips and that marred our experience quite a fair bit.

Pasta Of The Day - Pasta of the day happened to be Carbonara so went for it. In a "tribute" to the local dining scene, the spaghetti is served on a water resistant brown foil (like those you would get at nasi lemak or economic beehoon stalls) placed in a old school tin plate. Or maybe they just wanted to save cost and do away with the fancy tableware. Anyways, the spaghetti was a little overcooked while the cream sauce came across as a tad runny. Throw in generous handful of porky, fat laden bacon bits and you end up with a rather uninspiring rendition of this Italian classic. I reckon I could get something similar at a random western food stall in Singapore, at a fraction of the cost.

Suprette Burger - The sole reason why we were here; Suprette's eponymous burger, with an additional topping of bacon and mushrooms ($3 apiece). Soft buns slathered with butter and toasted on the griddle till crisp and golden brown on the surface, sandwiching a juicy, beefy patty with bits of fat for that extra chewiness and topped with a layer of gruyere cheese which imbued it with a faintly sweet, nutty taste.The additional topping of mushrooms was worth it, adding an earthy perspective to the mix but the bacon did come across as a tad too crisp, dry and lacking in salt. Overall still a good burger and one of the best I've had in a while (last one was at Minetta Tavern in New York).

There is only 1 dessert available daily and we didn't fancy what was on offer that day (lemon meringue pie with vanilla ice cream) so we skipped it.

At $20++ for a basic burger with fries, it is honestly a little on the pricey side but I reckon it's well worth the dough. Service was decent and I'll be happy to return just for the burger (and the nostalgia from the hotel), minus the bacon strips of course.

Really really good food

Been there a couple of times and the food and beer offerings never failed to excite and entice. interesting neighbourhood to explore as well.

Suprette: Hipster & Nostalgic Hipster Bar At Kam Leng Hotel

Located along the eclectic Jalan Besar is Suprette, a modern hipster bar cafe that marries a wide array of American-inspired mains and drinks in Kam Leng Hotel. This bar cafe is on the intimate side as the vicinity allows to accommodate slightly over twenty guests.

Check out Suprette's set lunch which is priced at $15 and comes with soup, main and drinks! Awesome deal!

Pumpkin soup as starters, which was Suprette's soup of the day. Creamy and lightly flavoured.

I had the Steak Sandwich. Each mouthful was bursting with flavour from the thinly sliced beef (medium well) accompanied with sweetness from caramalized onions.

Chickpea Burger ($17) for the lady. It is a herb and vegetable flecked burger and Suprette decks it with Tahani dressing. Majority of its flavour seems to be from potato and beetroot.

More pics and thoughts at http://lepakwithyaops.com/suprette-hipster-nostalgic-hipster-bar-at-kam-leng-hotel