Reviews for Swee Guan Hokkien Mee

4.4

AsianChineseHokkienLocalSingaporean
Address: Sing Lian Eating House, 549 Lorong 29 Geylang, 389504

Best Hokkien Mee in my books

One of the longest queue you will find in geylang, but it actually clears up pretty quickly. The Uncle boss take approximately 15 minutes to dish out a new wokful of this fried noodles, so it really depends on your luck. Do admit it's a tad expensive at $5 for a small portion. But I'll usually settle for 2 small portions over ordering a medium ($8) plate, which in my opinion gets you 3 more large prawns, 2 extra strands of yellow mee and an accidental silver of thick bee hoon.

The main star here is the noodle. It has fully absorbed the full bodied, brown colored, flavorsome rich prawn stock. Stroked by an intense flame that even the Iron Fan Princess (in the Journey to the West) would be proud.

Be warned. The first mouthful of this 'Wok-Hei' laden concoction just does a disco number in your mouth cavity, leaving you begging for more.
• 20 Jul 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Best Hokkien Mee in my books

• 31 Jan 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Fried Hokkien mee gold standard

Overall
To me this is the gold standard by which I evaluate the others. As a hokkien mee freak I will try all and sundry. So far most of the others I've tried have fallen short. This includes most of the others in the top 5 list.
• 10 Oct 2014 • 12 reviews • 0 follower

hands down best hokkien mee in singapore

Overall
I've been eating this for 15 years, since I was a child. I am a hokkien mee fanatic and I try hokkien mee everywhere I go. This is the best. It's also known as Lorong 29 Hokkien Mee. All taxi drivers know it.

The noodles are slowly fried in pork lard, prawn stock and sotong stock. There are no short-cuts for this. Each batch takes about 25 minutes to cook, and a long line usually starts forming from 6pm. The slow cooking process means that the noodles are soft and have fully absorbed the flavour from the stock.

This dish is not for the faint of heart. It is oily and rich and decadent, a big gloopy mess, but it's very very good. You can eat it there or order it to go. I personally find that when I order takeaway, it gives the noodles a chance to sit longer in its own oily glory, and this makes it taste even better by the time I get home.

If you're a tourist and you only have time for one meal, make sure it's here.