Reviews for Swee Guan Hokkien Mee

4.5

AsianChineseHokkienLocalSingaporean
24 Oct 2015
Overall

Worlds best hokkien mee here

am a hokkien mee freak
if theres. Better hokkien me than this , then I am hitler.
Juicy and brilliantly cooked on charcoal fire with fresh ingredients.
Every heap is sinfully delicious

Must must must eat.
Hokkien Mee

More reviews of Swee Guan Hokkien Mee

Best Hokkien Mee in my books

One of the longest queue you will find in geylang, but it actually clears up pretty quickly. The Uncle boss take approximately 15 minutes to dish out a new wokful of this fried noodles, so it really depends on your luck. Do admit it's a tad expensive at $5 for a small portion. But I'll usually settle for 2 small portions over ordering a medium ($8) plate, which in my opinion gets you 3 more large prawns, 2 extra strands of yellow mee and an accidental silver of thick bee hoon.

The main star here is the noodle. It has fully absorbed the full bodied, brown colored, flavorsome rich prawn stock. Stroked by an intense flame that even the Iron Fan Princess (in the Journey to the West) would be proud.

Be warned. The first mouthful of this 'Wok-Hei' laden concoction just does a disco number in your mouth cavity, leaving you begging for more.

Fried Hokkien mee gold standard

To me this is the gold standard by which I evaluate the others. As a hokkien mee freak I will try all and sundry. So far most of the others I've tried have fallen short. This includes most of the others in the top 5 list.
Overall

hands down best hokkien mee in singapore

I've been eating this for 15 years, since I was a child. I am a hokkien mee fanatic and I try hokkien mee everywhere I go. This is the best. It's also known as Lorong 29 Hokkien Mee. All taxi drivers know it.

The noodles are slowly fried in pork lard, prawn stock and sotong stock. There are no short-cuts for this. Each batch takes about 25 minutes to cook, and a long line usually starts forming from 6pm. The slow cooking process means that the noodles are soft and have fully absorbed the flavour from the stock.

This dish is not for the faint of heart. It is oily and rich and decadent, a big gloopy mess, but it's very very good. You can eat it there or order it to go. I personally find that when I order takeaway, it gives the noodles a chance to sit longer in its own oily glory, and this makes it taste even better by the time I get home.

If you're a tourist and you only have time for one meal, make sure it's here.
Overall

The smoky char makes this so awesomely delicious

Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/03/swee-guan-hokkien-mee-geylang-lor-29.html

What hits you immediately about the haphazard mess of noodles is the distinct charcoal accents. This truly epitomizes "wok hei". Every mouthful guarantees a heady char.

Tantalizing smoky fragrance aside, the noodles, an assortment of thin rice vermicelli, thick rice noodles and yellow egg noodles, have been allowed to thoroughly bathe in all of that potently rich prawn stock, making the infusion so flavourful the toasty sweetish sambal served alongside is rendered quite redundant.

Three-for-three, the sparkling fresh squid and prawns are cooked perfectly. Soft with a slight chew. These are all what makes Swee Guan Hokkien Mee such a master in its class.