Reviews for Swee Guan Hokkien Mee

AsianChineseHokkienLocalSingaporean
proses92

hands down best hokkien mee in singapore

I've been eating this for 15 years, since I was a child. I am a hokkien mee fanatic and I try hokkien mee everywhere I go. This is the best. It's also known as Lorong 29 Hokkien Mee. All taxi drivers know it.

The noodles are slowly fried in pork lard, prawn stock and sotong stock. There are no short-cuts for this. Each batch takes about 25 minutes to cook, and a long line usually starts forming from 6pm. The slow cooking process means that the noodles are soft and have fully absorbed the flavour from the stock.

This dish is not for the faint of heart. It is oily and rich and decadent, a big gloopy mess, but it's very very good. You can eat it there or order it to go. I personally find that when I order takeaway, it gives the noodles a chance to sit longer in its own oily glory, and this makes it taste even better by the time I get home.

If you're a tourist and you only have time for one meal, make sure it's here.
10 Oct 2014 • 12 reviews • 0 follower

hands down best hokkien mee in singapore

If you're a tourist and you only have time for one meal, make sure it's here.
20 Mar 2014 • 579 reviews • 21 followers

The smoky char makes this so awesomely delicious

Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/03/swee-guan-hokkien-mee-geylang-lor-29.html

What hits you immediately about the haphazard mess of noodles is the distinct charcoal accents. This truly epitomizes "wok hei". Every mouthful guarantees a heady char.

Tantalizing smoky fragrance aside, the noodles, an assortment of thin rice vermicelli, thick rice noodles and yellow egg noodles, have been allowed to thoroughly bathe in all of that potently rich prawn stock, making the infusion so flavourful the toasty sweetish sambal served alongside is rendered quite redundant.

Three-for-three, the sparkling fresh squid and prawns are cooked perfectly. Soft with a slight chew. These are all what makes Swee Guan Hokkien Mee such a master in its class.
hokkien mee
23 Feb 2012 • 408 reviews • 13 followers

Better late than never

Imagine I used to come to Lor 29 every week yet I wasn’t aware that there was tasty nosh to be had at the coffeeshop (Sing Lian Eating House 星联餐室). Until I went in search of the hokkien mee, with K in tow, that I realized what I’d missed all those years!

In any case, the hokkien mee was well worth the trip, though at $6, the portion could’ve been a bit more.

Most remarkable about the noodle was the unmistakable wok-hei. The chef fried the noodle over a charcoal stove, the sight of which was definitely a rarity these days. Coupled with fresh seafood and a not-too-wet texture, this rendition was miles better than the usual food court variety.