Reviews for Swee Guan Hokkien Mee

4.4

AsianChineseHokkienLocalSingaporean

Fried Hokkien mee gold standard

To me this is the gold standard by which I evaluate the others. As a hokkien mee freak I will try all and sundry. So far most of the others I've tried have fallen short. This includes most of the others in the top 5 list.
• 31 Jan 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Fried Hokkien mee gold standard

• 10 Oct 2014 • 12 reviews • 0 follower

hands down best hokkien mee in singapore

Overall
I've been eating this for 15 years, since I was a child. I am a hokkien mee fanatic and I try hokkien mee everywhere I go. This is the best. It's also known as Lorong 29 Hokkien Mee. All taxi drivers know it.

The noodles are slowly fried in pork lard, prawn stock and sotong stock. There are no short-cuts for this. Each batch takes about 25 minutes to cook, and a long line usually starts forming from 6pm. The slow cooking process means that the noodles are soft and have fully absorbed the flavour from the stock.

This dish is not for the faint of heart. It is oily and rich and decadent, a big gloopy mess, but it's very very good. You can eat it there or order it to go. I personally find that when I order takeaway, it gives the noodles a chance to sit longer in its own oily glory, and this makes it taste even better by the time I get home.

If you're a tourist and you only have time for one meal, make sure it's here.
• 20 Mar 2014 • 578 reviews • 20 followers

The smoky char makes this so awesomely delicious

Overall
Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/03/swee-guan-hokkien-mee-geylang-lor-29.html

What hits you immediately about the haphazard mess of noodles is the distinct charcoal accents. This truly epitomizes "wok hei". Every mouthful guarantees a heady char.

Tantalizing smoky fragrance aside, the noodles, an assortment of thin rice vermicelli, thick rice noodles and yellow egg noodles, have been allowed to thoroughly bathe in all of that potently rich prawn stock, making the infusion so flavourful the toasty sweetish sambal served alongside is rendered quite redundant.

Three-for-three, the sparkling fresh squid and prawns are cooked perfectly. Soft with a slight chew. These are all what makes Swee Guan Hokkien Mee such a master in its class.