Back to Swee Guan Hokkien MeeSing Lian Eating House, 549 Lorong 29...

The Hungry Bunny
 • 20 Mar 2014 479 reviews 19 followers
Overall
Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/03/swee-guan-hokkien-mee-geylang-lor-29.html

What hits you immediately about the haphazard mess of noodles is the distinct charcoal accents. This truly epitomizes "wok hei". Every mouthful guarantees a heady char.

Tantalizing smoky fragrance aside, the noodles, an assortment of thin rice vermicelli, thick rice noodles and yellow egg noodles, have been allowed to thoroughly bathe in all of that potently rich prawn stock, making the infusion so flavourful the toasty sweetish sambal served alongside is rendered quite redundant.

Three-for-three, the sparkling fresh squid and prawns are cooked perfectly. Soft with a slight chew. These are all what makes Swee Guan Hokkien Mee such a master in its class.

A
 • 23 Feb 2012 408 reviews 11 followers
Overall
Imagine I used to come to Lor 29 every week yet I wasn’t aware that there was tasty nosh to be had at the coffeeshop (Sing Lian Eating House 星联餐室). Until I went in search of the hokkien mee, with K in tow, that I realized what I’d missed all those years!

In any case, the hokkien mee was well worth the trip, though at $6, the portion could’ve been a bit more.

Most remarkable about the noodle was the unmistakable wok-hei. The chef fried the noodle over a charcoal stove, the sight of which was definitely a rarity these days. Coupled with fresh seafood and a not-too-wet texture, this rendition was miles better than the usual food court variety.

Cheap Eat/Budget, Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, After Work
  • hokkien mee
  • hokkien mee

James B
 • 12 Dec 2011 14 reviews 1 follower
Overall
I call this place "theme park" noodles - the waiting is longer than the eating (ride)!

It's worth the wait, though. I used to be a fan of Ah Kim until I found Swee Guan. Prawns and sotong usually generous. What got me hooked with Swee Guan is the charcoal stove used to fry the noodles.

Waiting time is very long. His business is really good. While waiting for the noodles, don't forget to order the pork satays next stall.

I come here at least once a fortnight.