Review for Tampopo (Liang Court)

3.3

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-23/24, Liang Court, 177 River Valley Road, 179030
09 Jul 2009

Great Ramen & Pork Katsu

Went here for dinner on a friday night. They had this number calling system whereas they told me to come back half an hour later. Came back and was given a table shortly. A very japanesy atmosphere, like a typical jap eating house. Gave us the Meun, it was weathered, looks pretty dirty and like its been used for ages. Well, time to get a new one. Anyway get down to ordering. Finally decided on a premium black pork loin katsu and the original ramen. Ramen arrived shortly, looks and smell pretty good. Noodles is springy, worksmanship is good. Soup taste like its being brewed for hours, very flavourful, saltyness and sweetness just right. A huge slice of pork, meat is tender and all. They had this egg, it appears to be hard boil but when you bite into it it taste like half boil. 3/4 boiled? hahax. Next up is the pork katsu. Looks really great, the colour is looking really good, breaded crumbs is spreaded out properly, neatly cut into a few pieces for you. Eating it together with the rice is really a joy, one of the best pork cutlet i've eaten. Also would like to comment on the soup, it actually has minced pork in it, i'm not too sure if that is the miso soup as it has a different taste to it. For pictures visit,

www.cherylloyd.blogspot.com
Ramen, Pork Katsu

More reviews of Tampopo

Spectacular Kyoto Beef Fair Only until 11th Feb

Not many may know that Tampopo has launched their FIRST Kyoto fair featuring the award-winning KYOTO BEEF only until 11th FEBRUARY!!  Kyoto Beef? How good can it be when it's not even one of the Top 3 Wagyu Beef in Japan? Yes, I had those questions in mind too but when I had a bite of the Kyoto Beef, I nearly wanted to flip the tables. (Just kidding) Trust me, this breed of cow is just as elite as the vegetables and tofu produce from Kyoto.

The dessert also brought the Kyoto meal to another climax. Matcha Fondue. Yes, dark green liquid served WARM with Kyoto Strawberries, Warabi Mochi, Matcha Cake and Shiratama Dango. This was so ridiculously good that I licked my fondue cup clean. Blissful.

For full review, visit : http://www.dairycream.blogspot.com

Horrible Service & An Ultimatum

I visited Tampopo at Liang Court, one of the better ramen restaurants, last night. With eagerness, I awaited the arrival of my order of Deluxe Hakodate Ramen.  I was disappointed to receive a bowl of lukewarm ramen with cold slices of char siew. The bowl of ramen was sent back to the kitchen and the young server returned with a bowl that was slightly warmer than the first. I explained to the server that the ramen should be served steaming hot. The third time the bowl of ramen was delivered, I was gratified to see steam rising out of it and was anxious to start my dinner as one of my dinner companions had almost finished his. Then, the server, an older man in shirt and tie said, “If this is not good enough, then you cannot have ramen here.”

I was stunned. From hawker centre to fine dining restaurant, I had never been issued an ultimatum by a server before. There was no explanation from the staff for the lukewarm food that was served initially and no attempts at service recovery. This cannot possibly be its Managing Director, Mr Takagi Takaaki’s idea of providing “the perfect dining experience in every aspect”( Managing Director’s message on page 2 of the menu).

So, thanks for the memory of many pleasant meals at Tampopo in the past. I will not be returning any time soon.

Terrible service

I had an appalling experience today at your Liang Court branch. The older gentleman at the front door that seats guests was rude and unprofessional. Since I do not want to eat raw seafood for health reasons, I asked him if a particular sushi roll had raw ingredients. He told me it is cooked except for avocado. When I went to order at the counter (I was having it to go) I checked again with the young lady whose name tag said “Supervisor”, she informed me that it is raw tuna. I told her to ensure that the gentleman was aware so that other customers get the correct information. He promptly denied that he said that to me.
 I then asked this female supervisor to point out which items did not have raw seafood in it. She told me only the softshell crab roll and prawn maki. I ordered prawn maki. Only after I paid did she inform me that it would take 20mins to be ready! 20 mins later she came to inform me that there is raw prawn roe in the sushi. Even the supervisor is not sure what is in the menu?? I asked if she actually knows for sure what does not have raw seafood. No apologies or acknowledgement of her mistake, she only told me that she can tell the chef not to put in the roe.
 I gave her this feedback before I left, that she should be more aware of what is in her menu, and to acknowledge her mistake. She forced herself to say a fake sorry and as soon as I turned to leave she slammed her menus on her counter. What kind of service is this?

Quality Japanese Cuisine

So many Japanese restaurants have sprung up in our sunny shores that the competition in this industry has intensified. What does Tampopo have to offer to keep you going for more? The menu are definitely pricier than usual but the quality is exceptional. The imported Japanese Rice is a notch above others, making you dig deep into your rice bowl.
We Recommend:
Wafu Steak (Do not be fooled by its dubious name. This steak is phenomenal. Well-seasoned, tender and melts in the mouth.)
Premium soft shelled crab (So delectable that we ordered another plate right after we finished the first one.)

Desserts

We tried the green tea ice-cream and the bestselling scoop cake. The green tea ice-cream, in my husband's words, "is the most bitter ice-cream I have ever eaten in my life!" It is more bitter than sweet. So be warned. The scoop cake is very pretty but tastes common.