Review for Tanglin Halt Original Peanut Pancake

3.6

AsianLocalSingaporeanSnacks
15 Jan 2012
Overall

people found this review useful Was it useful to you?Yes

More reviews of Tanglin Halt Original Peanut Pancake

Overall

best peanut pancake in Singapore?

Very possibly so. Fresh dough, great peanuts. The others pancakes they serve aren't that great, I tried the round yam ones. Can't just stop at 1!

closed

have been there Wednesday and Thursday. both days closed. is it even still in Business ? would like to try them as ive saw a food documentary about them.

happy food.

I've always been a fan of traditional pancakes otherwise known as "mee chang kwueh".

Today I finally had my virgin peanut pancake from the most talked about "tanglin halt" stall. The stall opens from 5am-11am only. So if you want to avoid the ever l o n g queue, I suggest dropping by before the peak hours!

The delightful pancake was chewy and I liked how you don't feel all "bloated" after finishing it. Besides, the auntie was really generous with the caramelized peanut fillings and that topped the pancake with BONUS POINTS!

I absolutely love how crunchy the mix of crushed peanuts and sugar was!

*THUMBS UP* to this finger-looking singaporean-style breakfast!

3-for-$2 shiok shiok!

what's the hype?

For photos and more reviews, visit us at http://foodphd.wordpress.com!

We tried the much raved and recommended Peanut Pancakes from the Tanglin Halt Original Peanut Pancake. The pancake was thick and chewy and in fact, it was a little too thick for us. The peanuts were on the coarse side and the aunty wasn’t too generous with the amount of peanuts. Hence, we felt that the proportion of fillings to pancake was lopsided. Having to queue for almost an hour for these Peanut Pancakes, we weren’t all that blown away by the standards.

Old school eats.

I'm confronted with another long queue after battling the previous one at a nearby Roti Prata stall. This time, a renowned mee jiang kueh awaits at the other end.

It was a rather entertaining process, the waiting, as you get to peek over the signs pasted over the glass casings into the kitchen of the stall where the old couple (owners) slave away over the hot stove, churning out new slices for the eager crowds. Most people would take away large quantities of slices, enough to fit into a standard size styrofoam box, but they still do entertain individual slices orders.

My order of the peanut mee jiang kueh ($0.60 a slice) was... interesting. It's outer casing almost assuming a chewy texture. So i've heard that this version uses a yeast culture instead of the usual baking soda in its making hence it's slightly chewy feel. I loved the freshly ground peanuts that was not too sweet, the grinding done just right that the sugar was incorporated perfectly (no gritty bits) and the peanuts revealing one or two surprising chunks here and there. Truly old school in every definition.