Teochew Cuisine Restaurant (River Valley) (潮州菜馆)

Summary

Food/Drink2
Service2
Noodles, Teochew Style Steamed Fish View all

Terrible stench wafting through the air-conditioned restaurant

For pictures, please go to http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2012/02/teochew-cuisine-restaurant-river-valley.html

The main gripe of lunch was that the air-conditioned area of the eatery reeked of ammonia-tinged sewage and/or sour rancid rotting food. That was enough to put us off quite a lot already. Then we realized that the staff were all (that we could see anyways) PRCs. I don't usually stereotype but this was quite the unfortunate case of putting two and two together, a staff full of PRCs and the ridiculously smelly restaurant.

But I still wanted to give this place a chance. So, we sat in the outdoors area, which had wet spots because the fridge containing the canned drinks was leaking. The management really needs to do an overhaul of the restaurant's equipment and ventilation system. Suffice to say, I won't be back. And I won't be recommending anyone to this place either. In fact, I'll advise people to stay away from this place. Just think, if the restaurant smelled like that, what do you think the hygiene levels of the kitchen are like?

We got the Sliced Fish Soup ($4), which, funnily enough, was off the menu. This was mixed with beancurd skin, bittergourd, lettuce and seaweed. The broth seemed delicate and light enough, not too obvious with the MSG, but I'd admit I didn't have much of the soup anyway, I was sweating buckets and trying to finish up my meal quickly to go.

Most helpful reviews for Teochew Cuisine Restaurant (River Valley)

Ripped Off!

Had dinner there with some friends. The place ran wholly by PRC people and the captain kept pushing pricer dishes. Had the steamed pomfret, chai poh egg, goose, shark bone soup, crabs and noodles.

Hubby and I liked only the soup and goose. Seafood not very fresh.

Tea was not refilled and service slow because understaffed. The waiters and waitresses do work hard and not idling, management please take note. The lady captain can only converse in mandarin and was very random in recommending. We felt she did not bother about kids although we said we want some dishes for children.

Avoid this place at any costs!

Had dinner with my family there last saturday and the waitress from China was aggressively promoting the menu to us. Under her recommendation, we ordered a braised fishhead claypot which had pieces of fishhead that tasted fishy and a few pathetic pieces of beancurd, no vegetables or whatsoever that you would expect from a decent claypot dish. Shockingly enough, this dish alone set us back by $45! Feel totally ripped off, cos it was just fishhead! I could get a plate of crab with that amount.

Decent Enough

Had a craving for a protein-loaded healthly-centric diner, so came here to try the Teochew steamed fish. We also orded a seafood hor fun.

The seafood hor fun was decent, good flavor, nicely pre-fried horfun. I would recommend the chef to be more generous with the seafood ingredients though.

The steamed fish delivers, the slightly salty and sour taste makes the broth wonderful. Just be sure to have it before it turns cold.

It was generally a good dinner but I wasn't overwhelmed with awe, can't quite pin-point what's good and bad with this place.