Review for Teochew Cuisine Restaurant (River Valley) (潮州菜馆)

1.4

AsianChineseTeochew
Address: 413 River Valley Road, 248311
23 Feb 2012 • 579 Reviews • 20 Followers

Terrible stench wafting through the air-conditioned restaurant

Overall
For pictures, please go to http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2012/02/teochew-cuisine-restaurant-river-valley.html

The main gripe of lunch was that the air-conditioned area of the eatery reeked of ammonia-tinged sewage and/or sour rancid rotting food. That was enough to put us off quite a lot already. Then we realized that the staff were all (that we could see anyways) PRCs. I don't usually stereotype but this was quite the unfortunate case of putting two and two together, a staff full of PRCs and the ridiculously smelly restaurant.

But I still wanted to give this place a chance. So, we sat in the outdoors area, which had wet spots because the fridge containing the canned drinks was leaking. The management really needs to do an overhaul of the restaurant's equipment and ventilation system. Suffice to say, I won't be back. And I won't be recommending anyone to this place either. In fact, I'll advise people to stay away from this place. Just think, if the restaurant smelled like that, what do you think the hygiene levels of the kitchen are like?

We got the Sliced Fish Soup ($4), which, funnily enough, was off the menu. This was mixed with beancurd skin, bittergourd, lettuce and seaweed. The broth seemed delicate and light enough, not too obvious with the MSG, but I'd admit I didn't have much of the soup anyway, I was sweating buckets and trying to finish up my meal quickly to go.