Thai Express (Paragon) has closed.

Review for (Closed) Thai Express (Paragon)

3.3

AsianIndochineseThai
Address: #B1-45/46, The Paragon, 290 Orchard Road, 238859
02 Feb 2007

An Improvement

When Thai Express first opened in Holland Village, I tried it for the first time, and until today never went back because the soft shell crab was not fresh and the food did not taste anything Thai.

Fast forward a few months later and I'm back to try this newer expansion in Paragon. I must say I left impressed by the marked improvement. The options are a lot better and though the prices are a little higher, its worth the dollar. One thing I must highlight is the chicken soup which had so much chunky chicken that I was full by the time I was done. I must warn the soup connoseiur that the dry after-taste in my mouth showed that there was a use of MSG. Nevertheless overall it was still a pleasant experience.

More reviews of Thai Express (Paragon)

Ah Thai food

You really need to try glass noddle with soft shell crab, and mango blend for the drink...those are legends!

LOVE IT!

I have eaten here COUNTLESS times,and i still love it! :D The tom yum soup is SUPERB, bursting with spicyness and sourness, just as good tom yum is, because tom yum should NEVER BE BLAND! The soup is alwasy served piping hot, THUMBS UP! I dont go for 100 degree soups, i go 200 degrees. There is a choice of tom yum seafood and tom yum prawns. I always go for the tom yum prawns, after one time we ordered BOTH and i tried it side by side and i realised that the tom yum with prawns have a fresher and natural sweetness that prawns emit, while in comparison the seafood one had a more chalky flavour. The phad thai talay(seafood)is fantastic! There is an exotic flavour about it, sweet and nutty and fragrant. I have tried their green curry, too and it was good. But not fantastic. The desserts are not very good, so i would not suggest spending money on the desserts. The prawns are always fresh and extremely chewy, you can feel the crunch of the prawns whenever you eat it. The prawn toast is pretty good, but not a must try. Service is passable, efficient. Some waiters are very friendly, we met one that chatted with us readily

expressionless express

undecided on wat to have for lunch yday, so my date n i made a random pick - thai express it was. the lunch crowd was soon dispersing, so we were ushered to our seat near the entrance - as if we're their spokespersons.

hunger panks cranking hard on our bellies, n we ordered our food swiftly. since it wasnt as busy, our food arrived shortly after. she ordered the beef noodles in broth, while i had glass noodles with softshell crab (cos they ran outta crayfish)

the meal wasnt as delicious as we expected it to be, despite the wide variety available on the menu, i'd say the quality was rather mediocure only.

we consoled ourselves - eat to live, not live to eat
Overall

good food that satisfied the hungry tummy

Went there yesterday for dinner with a couple of friends since i had a $15 birthday voucher that was issued when i signed up for their membership.

Was greeted by the manager who was full of smiles. had to wait for around 5 mins before we got our seats due to the dinner crowd but we were given the menu to look at while waiting.

After seated and decided what we wanted, our orders were taken and the food was served pretty soon. Ordered cripsy pancake, tofu squares, stuffed wings, mango salad, pad thai seafood, 2 seafood kway teow and 2 prawn omelette rice. All the food came nice and hot, satisfying our hungry tummies. :)

Crispy pancakes and the tofu squares were crispy with the crunch that i like for deep fried food. Stuffed wings was as good as how it usually was. :) Pinched a bit of my friend's seafood kway teow and preferred it over the seafood phad thai as it was more flavourful due to the presence of chai poh in the kway teow.. my prawn omelette rice came hot and with succulent prawns. yum yum! :)

We added on 2 more banana fritters with coconut ice cream after that and it was super gooood.. :) banana fritters that was hot and crispy, the sesame in the fried coating made the fritters extra fragrant and the coconut bits in the ice cream gave it extra texture.

We weren't even "chased" off even though it was closing hours, unlike some other bad experience we had previously. There was some errors with the bill and the manager was really apologetic about it and explained that it was due to some confusion earlier on. Since it was just a misunderstanding and the errors were corrected immediately, we just let it pass. When the manager came back with the change, she brought along a complimentary bottle of red wine, which came as a surprise and we guessed that it was a birthday treat for the members. Total damage for yesterday's dinner was $75 after 10% discount and $15 voucher redemption. Pretty good for value in our opinions.

Oh and we were informed that there will be some changes to the menu from today onwards, all current items will stay and on top of it, new items will be added in. Will be back to check the new menu out.

Friendly service and yummy food, I'll definitely be back again. :)
Overall

Deceiving-looking Tom Yum Soup!

We had this:

It was some seafood tom yum stick noodles ($9.90)~ I think stick noodles is a thicker version of glass noodles?

Anyway, i like the noodles, the generous portion of seafood, but alas! The look of the soup was so deceiving! The clear broth was actually super spicy! Which reminds me the deceiving-looking tom yum soup they have in Asian Kitchen too!