Summary

Fried Chicken with Waffles, Farm boy Burger, Freshly baked cornbread, Blackened pork collar, Southern Poutine, Sweet tea, Beers, Biscuits with sausage patty, Chilli con carne, Dutch baby pancake, the big biscuits, mimosa, Mississippi mud pie, Peach Crumble, Pecan Pie, Roasted tomato soup View all
After Work, Brunch, Chillout, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Dinner, Ala Carte, Night Out, Relaxed View all

Fried chicken & waffle

2nd time coming back.

Love their fried chicken, it's not too oily and it's tender inside!

Blackened pork collar is a bit fatty, but still taste awesome, with all the mashed potato and vegetables.

Southern poutine (fries) portion is quite big, and it's quite salty, so better come with 3pax or more if you have already ordered a lot of dishes.

Personally I felt that their dishes are a little salty. It's better to come here with a big group of friends to share the food. Dim lighting from the restaurant to the toilet. And the high table/stool, not very comfortable.

Unlike some other reviews, I find their service is OK, they are not rude at all, but not fantastic either, just met general expectation.

I will definitely come back for their chicken & waffle!

Prices a bit steep (their website has the menu with prices) but there's 1 for 1 entertainer app.

Most helpful reviews for The Beast

Overrated

We had heard about The Beast, a restaurant/bar specialising in southern cuisine (of which soul food is a subset of) and was drawn by the Amex tie up to offer set meals at a relatively reasonable price.

It was pouring the day we went and parking was a pain. What made it worse was that we were confined to sitting at the bar area, with reused oil cylinders as tables, loud music for accompaniment and dim lighting. Really uncomfortable. And to think we had made reservations about a week in advance. The place must be popular. Oh wait. I saw a couple of walk ins waiting at the bar area for a bit and getting a table upstairs. But I digress.

Roasted Tomato Soup - Served with a side of crisp toast sporting a gooey, cheesy filling that had me wanting for more, the tomato soup came across as lightly tart with a dash of fleeting spiciness in every mouthful. A great start to the food!

Chicken With Waffles - Apparently one of the very well received dishes at The Beast, the chicken with waffles was a mixed bag for me. First the positive. The buttermilk fried chicken was juicy and bursting with flavour beneath the beautifully crunchy skin. However the flavour was good for only the initial few mouthfuls and progressively muted down. But it was still a pretty good piece of chicken I must say. The downside to this dish was the waffle, which was crisp (almost to the extent of being hard though) but had an unpleasant sourish taste to it. And the watery bourbon maple syrup served alongside couldn't quite cover that up.

Chocolate Ice Cream - Decent way to end off; A nice big scoop of off the shelf chocolate ice cream topped with nuts and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

$30++ ($35.31 nett) per pax honestly isn't much in today's dining scene but I seriously think the restaurant needs to do something about the waffles, pronto. Service alternated between friendly but confused and outright unfriendly, depending on who we approached. Will I be back? Considering that the chicken and waffles couldn't quite match up to the real deal and our overall experience was less than positive, the answer, unfortunately, is a no.

A place for Bourbon and American Southern Cuisine

This is a very interesting restaurant that I visited recently. It’s a Bourbon Whisky Bar that also serves good American Southern Food.

The menu was interesting and we ordered  several dishes to try:

Starters

- Jack and the beast stalk: Long beans cut into 6cm strips, breaded with flour and deep fried. A but like tempura and dusted with a special seasoning. Was good.

- Chilli con carne: Tortilla chips with a home-made chilli con carne. I liked the chilli con carne. Mildly spicy.

Sides

- Freshly baked cornbread: This was presented like a slice of cake and it was served warm with a medallion of butter on top and a side serving of maple syrup. A must-order!

- Bacon Mac & cheese: Baked mac and cheese with bacon bits in them. Good.

Mains

- Blackened pork collar: Not exactly black, but the pork was sliced into bite-sized pieces for easy sharing and eating.

- Southern fried steak: This was the first time I had steak which is breaded and deep-fried. The steak was thin, about 0.5cm, so it was very well done. Must-order!

- Chicken & waffles: We got a fried chicken chop on waffles. A very unique dish where you get fried chicken and waffles. All of us loved it.

Desserts

- Peach Crumble: You get Apple crumble at most places, so this was different. Topped with vanilla ice-cream and strawberries. It was gone in no time.

- Mississippi mud pie: This was a slice of frozen ice cream cake. If you love chocolate, order this!

The restaurant has got  unique menu and if you love your Bourbon whisky, you will be spoilt for choice. Check out this restaurant if you can!

Bigger and improved menu

Checked in at The Beast for some American Southern-style lovin'. The homegrown bourbon house has just tweaked its menu - they've made it bigger, with a better kitchen team. The chicken and waffles ($20) is proof of that improvement: we liked the 24-hour buttermilk chicken much better this time (it is crisper, richer, meat more tender), on the soft but still sturdy waffles, and a sweet and strong bourbon maple butter sauce. We're working on a waffles-you-*must*-try story and this will surely be included. We're told a new Southern-style brunch will be served at the end of May 2014 - yay hangover brunches!

mediocre food and service

we had the ribeye and chicken and waffles. The ribeye was small, thin and had a lot of tendon. Waitstaff didnt serve it with steak knife either. Chicken and waffles was just okay. restroom stalls were gross, like they weren't cleaned for days. it was very expensive too. Service was so-so. i was told to get my own water and they re-use plastic cups. I have nothing against recycling but if you're charging an arm and a leg for your food and charging service charge, i expect more than that.