Fried Chicken with Waffles8 votes
Birthdays5 votes

explodingbelly
 • 12 Nov 2014 13 reviews 0 follower
Overall
As a massive eater, I've always longed to visit The Beast after I saw that they serve a Southern fare here in Singapore. Huge burgers, waffles with fried chicken downed with maple syrup, bacon maple glazed donut, just a few examples of the items they serve on their Sunday brunch menu. Really, who could possibly resist THAT kind of temptation? However, I did not visit them earlier because I was being put off by the fact that its location was not familiar to me, and also, they only served their brunch menu on Sundays (10.00am to 5.00pm).

I was initially drawn to this place because I heard about their Mac and Cheese burger! I mean, Mac and Cheese itself is enticing enough, but a burger?! AND sweet potato fries served as its side?!!! I've got to try this!Mac and Cheese Burger ($22+): Mac and Cheese burger "bun", beef patty, bacon jam, BBQ sauce, lettuce and tomato, with sweet potato fries. The description sounds like heaven, doesn't it? Reading it just make me want it. However, descriptions can be deceiving. The Mac and Cheese bun was underwhelming. The bun was basically made of compacted macaroni, which was pretty crisp, unfortunately we both thought that it needed more salt. Moreover, the cheese was almost non existent in the macaroni buns, which was pretty disappointing because that was the part I was looking forward to when ordering the burger. The rest of the components of the burger were average, hence nothing to shout about. Sweet potato fries was average as well, but I had better, and definitely more tastier ones. Overall, this dish was underwhelming and I would not return just to try this again. You would probably want to try it only for novelty's sake, but they definitely could do better with this ingenious idea.

... I enjoyed my meal here at The Beast, even though the quality of the food was not up to the standards that we expected. The food was pretty photogenic, and it makes me happy, that's all that matters. HAHAHA! The other items on the menu look very appetizing and that would be the reason why I would come back to The Beast. I am honestly impressed with the type of dishes that they offer, and even though The Beast may not be able to execute them well enough now, I believe that in time, and with feedback, they will have the potential to serve up some amazing dishes.

Check out the full review about the other dishes on the menu with PICTURES on http://fatassbean.wordpress.com/2014/11/11/review-the-beast/

Foodma
 • 12 Nov 2014 6 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I ate here a few times with my grandparents and daughter. The food was fantastic. On a hot sunny Sunday, we sat outside with the chairs with the backrest, and the fan was blowing cool air.

The free flow mimosas were delightful and my 86 year old grandpa enjoyed it a lot. The sweet tea and Dutch baby pancakes were my daughter's favorite. The service was warm and friendly.

It was packed when we arrived and we didn't make any reservations. Fortunately the staff were nice enough to get us a table. :)

Reminded me of my time in the states with Asian hospitality. Price wise: it was worth it because the portions were huge! And the desserts were magnificent and apparently they baked their own donuts! :) highly recommended.

Must tries: Dutch baby pancake, the big biscuits, mimosa

Brunch

jacqsowhat
 • 11 Nov 2014 41 reviews 1 follower
Overall
The burpple tastmakers community gathered and feast at The Beast, a Southern Kitchen & Bourbon bar situated at Jalan Klapa. One of the bar bites, Freshly-baked cornbread ($6), serve with maple syrup. I was taken away by this homemade cornbread, it looks firm and dry but I was clearly deceived. We also had Bacon Mac & Cheese ($9). It was overall rather decent but it would be good if more cheese is added. That amount served didn't satisfy a Mac n' Cheese lover myself. Best pair with beer: Jack & The Beast Stalk ($12) - deep fried green beans with secret seasoning. It's tasty and addictive.

Full Review: http://jacqsowhat.blogspot.sg/2014/11/the-beast-jalan-klapa-singapore.html

Moving on to the mains, one of them you can expect is Chicken & Waffles ($20). Buttermilk fried chicken served on top of crispy waffle drizzled with a bourbon maple butter sauce. Highly recommended. Introducing The Beast Burger ($125). The mother of all burgers: 1.6 pound of juicy beef patty, 1 pound of slow cooked pulled pork, 1 pound of southern buttermilk fried chicken and a good serving of slaw, lettuce and tomato. Wedged between a custom-made 9 inch bun, served with a bucket of fries. Take the beast challenge!

Desserts we had, Bourbon Pecan Pie ($12), Bacon Maple Glazed Donut ($5) and Peach Crumble ($12). We ended off with Bacon Maple Glazed Donut ($5). Do note that this is only available on the brunch menu. Quite a filling dessert I must say, with a mini whole donut. I like the combination of bacon and maple syrup, a balance of sweet and savour. A mouthful of super sweet goodness.

Must tries: Fried Chicken with Waffles, Freshly baked cornbread