Reviews for The Beast

Address: 17 Jalan Klapa

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

Great food great drinks

I'm a big bourbon fan, so this was a great find. A huge selection of bourbons from low to high end and a good cocktail list.  The mint Julep was good, the southern ice tea fantastic.

good burger with candied bacon - can't go wrong with that. It was the chicken and waffles however that stole tr show - delicious. Mac and cheese with bacon a fantastic side.

only 3 stars for atmosphere as we came primarily to eat and its a bar atmosphere.

24 Mar 2015 • 30 reviews • 0 follower

Great food great drinks

16 Mar 2015 • 484 reviews • 67 followers

Overrated

Overall
We had heard about The Beast, a restaurant/bar specialising in southern cuisine (of which soul food is a subset of) and was drawn by the Amex tie up to offer set meals at a relatively reasonable price.

It was pouring the day we went and parking was a pain. What made it worse was that we were confined to sitting at the bar area, with reused oil cylinders as tables, loud music for accompaniment and dim lighting. Really uncomfortable. And to think we had made reservations about a week in advance. The place must be popular. Oh wait. I saw a couple of walk ins waiting at the bar area for a bit and getting a table upstairs. But I digress.

Roasted Tomato Soup - Served with a side of crisp toast sporting a gooey, cheesy filling that had me wanting for more, the tomato soup came across as lightly tart with a dash of fleeting spiciness in every mouthful. A great start to the food!

Chicken With Waffles - Apparently one of the very well received dishes at The Beast, the chicken with waffles was a mixed bag for me. First the positive. The buttermilk fried chicken was juicy and bursting with flavour beneath the beautifully crunchy skin. However the flavour was good for only the initial few mouthfuls and progressively muted down. But it was still a pretty good piece of chicken I must say. The downside to this dish was the waffle, which was crisp (almost to the extent of being hard though) but had an unpleasant sourish taste to it. And the watery bourbon maple syrup served alongside couldn't quite cover that up.

Chocolate Ice Cream - Decent way to end off; A nice big scoop of off the shelf chocolate ice cream topped with nuts and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

$30++ ($35.31 nett) per pax honestly isn't much in today's dining scene but I seriously think the restaurant needs to do something about the waffles, pronto. Service alternated between friendly but confused and outright unfriendly, depending on who we approached. Will I be back? Considering that the chicken and waffles couldn't quite match up to the real deal and our overall experience was less than positive, the answer, unfortunately, is a no.

08 Mar 2015 • 134 reviews • 5 followers

The Beast

Overall
For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/03/the-beast.html The Beast aim to serve classic Southern American cooking, with an extensive selection of craft beers and cocktails. They have indoor and outdoor seating at the ground floor, but it can be pretty squeezy, suitable for drinks and bites. Up to the 2nd storey, The Beast is able to accommodate more diners, but only indoor, and also the place where proper benches and tables are provided for the purpose of mains. Love the interior design, creating the countryside ambiance with a tint of yellow lighting. Imagining yourself traveling through time and landed yourself in a cowboy environment and having a beer? The Beast provides two types of dining menus, where dinner and bar menu are available from Mondays to Saturdays, while brunch menu only on Sundays. Southern Sweet Tea ($7.00) and Freshly Squeezed Lemonade ($7.00). Southern Sweet Tea gives off a balanced sweet and refreshing taste on a hot weather, while the squeezed lemonade can be slightly too sour. Cajun Fries ($8.00). Changing my taste from the usual truffle to Cajun fries, I have to admit I love Cajun fries more, where the sweet taste and little of spiciness invades my taste buds. The Big Biscuit ($22.00). It consists of buttermilk biscuit, fried chicken, candied bacon, sunny side up, pimento cheese and sausage gravy. Candied bacon seems to be coated with a layer of honey, and overall tasted like the Chinese barbecued pork during the Chinese New Year but a little crispier, and fried chicken patty is juicy and tender. Mac & Cheese Burger ($22.00). Basically a burger when buns are made of mac and cheese being fried, beef patty, bacon jam, barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato and sweet potato fries. The "buns" are quite tasteless, and would be best to eat with the beef patty and sauce. Beef patty seems to be homemade which crumbles when cut but spills out the juice when bite. Food wise, The Beast is actually more popular for their The Beast Burger which I believed costs around $125. While this is only available in the dinner menu, it consists of 1.6 pounds of beef patty, 1 pound of pulled pork, and 1 pound of buttermilk fried chicken. Looks intriguing, and I would definitely hop back to The Beast to challenge their The Beast Burger, but also not a bad idea to indulge myself back there with their other mains. For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/03/the-beast.html

Similar Listings