Fried Chicken with Waffles5 votes
Birthdays4 votes

30licious dinner menu at S$30++ when you pay with your American Express Card! . Other deals are available, find out more

Ms Skinnyfat
 • Monday at 4:01pm 242 reviews 46 followers
Overall

For full reviews, visit http://www.ms-skinnyfat.com/2014/09/the-beast-southern-brunch.html

Located just a step away from my other favorite brunch spot Symmetry, The Beast is a Southern Kitchen & Bourbon Bar. I've noticed it for a while but didn't feel like i could stomach such a meaty meal. With their $20/ hour all-you-can-drink Mimosas and a Do-it-Yourself Bloody Mary bar, it was hard to resist brunching here.

So we went with our empty stomachs in preparation for a huge meal ahead.

For starters, make sure you order yourself some Cornbread ($6). I love this one! It's way better than Kenny Rogers corn muffin which sometimes has these really strange chewy corn kernels. Expect a nice brown crust with a fragrant corn perfume. Make sure you dip into the maple syrup.

Chicken and Waffles ($20) cannot be missed as well. Ok mainly the Southern fried chicken cannot be missed. The waffles are an afterthought (it was bland and thin) but that massive juicy chicken steak was flavorful and addictive. I still can't get over how much fried chicken i ate. The bourbon maple butter sauce added that little alcoholic bitterness and light sweetness to the overall flavor. This is better than Sin Lee. For REAL.

The Pulled Pork Hash ($18) features a 10 hour pulled pork with bbq sauce that wasn't too overpowering. BBQ sauce has got to be my least favorite sauce of all time but this was quite enjoyable. The poached egg gave the dish a nice yolky moisture which made it even tastier. I could imagine this dish being made into a sandwich a la momofuku style.

Bacon Maple Glazed doughnut ($5) was of a lovely density and had a nice crispy shell. It may be a little oily, and it also had that hint of oily taste but it's such comfort food! I couldn't help taking a few more bites.

We had an awesome time at The Beast. Food is really the highlight here. But be warned, make sure you keep the entire day free because you wouldn't be able to get out of that food induced coma after the meal. The good news is that you only need one meal for the day. Heh.

The booze that we had were less than adequate however. Skip the sangria for it was way too diluted for me. The Mimosa was ok but it was more OJ than white sparkling wine. But I guess it works out ok if you do the 1h free flow version.

So yea, be sure to check out The Beast. This is surely where I'd be headed if I have a Chicken and Waffle craving.

Must tries: Fried Chicken with Waffles, Freshly baked cornbread

Brunch, Dinner, Relaxed

alexischeong
 • 06 Oct 2014 71 reviews 46 followers
Overall
Full review with photos at: http://www.alexischeong.com/2014/10/boozy-southern-brunch-at-beast-17-jalan.html

Waffles with fried chicken is one of those dishes I watch people eat on cable TV and wonder how it'll taste like because it just looked so incredulously sinful and awesome both at once. I learnt that it came from America's southern states, and was considered a 'soul food'. They usually have it for breakfast as well, which is something we Singaporeans will never have, despite chomping down copious amounts of fried carrot cake and greasy bee hoon with chili. I wonder who's the first guy or gal who decided fried chicken is so delicious, it can be paired with just about anything, and what better than some fluffy waffles lying there on the breakfast table? [Turns out Wikipedia said it's the other way round -- chicken came before the egg (waffles)].

I finally got the try the Chicken and Waffles ($20) and it was as good as I'd imagine. Definitely recommend this, plus the cornbread ($6) to start. Also check out their 10am to 5pm Sunday boozy brunch -- pay $20 for all-you-can-drink mimosas for an hour!

The Beast definitely opened my eyes to what real Southern food is like without me having to take a 25 hour flight to wherever. I definitely recommend for anyone who's curious about this particular cuisine to check it out. It's already proving to be a hit among families and friends who are thronging the place during weekends, so get yourself a reservation and have some patience with the staff!

Must tries: Fried Chicken with Waffles

Brunch

Li Tian
 • 25 Sep 2014 204 reviews 8 followers
Overall
This place has recently launched some beastly brunches for the voracious appetites. For full review and pics: http://dairycream.blogspot.sg/2014/09/the-beast-sunday-brunch.html

It seems like a battle half-won for the Chicken & Waffles ($20), a monstrous hunk of deep-fried thigh on waffles. The chicken is excellently crunchy and tender, but the golden batter was too salty and thus one can't help but chomp it down with the partially deflated waffles for a balanced flavour. As a hard truth, the chicken tasted best when doused with the bourbon maple butter sauce.
The Pulled Pork Hash $18 may very well typify the savage character of a beast. Imagine strands of meat ferociously teared apart and tossed with cubed potatoes, red peppers and BBQ sauce. But this Beast seems timid at heart for the taste was uninspiring and dry. A little more simmering of the pork with apple cider vinegar and chilli pepper may awake the soul of the Beast.
Like most authentic Southern sweets , the desserts here do not go easy on sugar. I appreciate the thick Oreo crust of the Mississippi Mudpie ($14) but this strength also became its weakest link when the pie layer is as stubborn as a rock.
The Bacon Waffle Sundae ($12) could be misleading for it is NOT a SUNDAE. But this can be forgiven because it delivered more than just a usual ice cream-waffle dessert. Accompanied by gooey butterscotch sauce, crunchy pecan brittles and a monstrous ball of Honey & Fig Ice Cream, the waffle itself has already surpassed the pallid version we've had earlier due to its sturdier structure and a distinct buttery notes. The crispy candied bacon was a bonus.
But what I liked best was the bacon maple glazed donut ($5) which reminded me of a sticky sweet Bak Kwa bun that BreadTalk introduced years before or the "Sweet Mother of Bacon" from Artichoke. And it's actually a SIDE, not a DESSERT. Yes, petite in size but it may just be the wildest creature at the Beast.