Fried Chicken with Waffles4 votes
Birthdays4 votes

alexischeong
 • 06 Oct 2014 71 reviews 46 followers
Overall
Full review with photos at: http://www.alexischeong.com/2014/10/boozy-southern-brunch-at-beast-17-jalan.html

Waffles with fried chicken is one of those dishes I watch people eat on cable TV and wonder how it'll taste like because it just looked so incredulously sinful and awesome both at once. I learnt that it came from America's southern states, and was considered a 'soul food'. They usually have it for breakfast as well, which is something we Singaporeans will never have, despite chomping down copious amounts of fried carrot cake and greasy bee hoon with chili. I wonder who's the first guy or gal who decided fried chicken is so delicious, it can be paired with just about anything, and what better than some fluffy waffles lying there on the breakfast table? [Turns out Wikipedia said it's the other way round -- chicken came before the egg (waffles)].

I finally got the try the Chicken and Waffles ($20) and it was as good as I'd imagine. Definitely recommend this, plus the cornbread ($6) to start. Also check out their 10am to 5pm Sunday boozy brunch -- pay $20 for all-you-can-drink mimosas for an hour!

The Beast definitely opened my eyes to what real Southern food is like without me having to take a 25 hour flight to wherever. I definitely recommend for anyone who's curious about this particular cuisine to check it out. It's already proving to be a hit among families and friends who are thronging the place during weekends, so get yourself a reservation and have some patience with the staff!

Must tries: Fried Chicken with Waffles

Brunch

Li Tian
 • 25 Sep 2014 203 reviews 8 followers
Overall
This place has recently launched some beastly brunches for the voracious appetites. For full review and pics: http://dairycream.blogspot.sg/2014/09/the-beast-sunday-brunch.html

It seems like a battle half-won for the Chicken & Waffles ($20), a monstrous hunk of deep-fried thigh on waffles. The chicken is excellently crunchy and tender, but the golden batter was too salty and thus one can't help but chomp it down with the partially deflated waffles for a balanced flavour. As a hard truth, the chicken tasted best when doused with the bourbon maple butter sauce.
The Pulled Pork Hash $18 may very well typify the savage character of a beast. Imagine strands of meat ferociously teared apart and tossed with cubed potatoes, red peppers and BBQ sauce. But this Beast seems timid at heart for the taste was uninspiring and dry. A little more simmering of the pork with apple cider vinegar and chilli pepper may awake the soul of the Beast.
Like most authentic Southern sweets , the desserts here do not go easy on sugar. I appreciate the thick Oreo crust of the Mississippi Mudpie ($14) but this strength also became its weakest link when the pie layer is as stubborn as a rock.
The Bacon Waffle Sundae ($12) could be misleading for it is NOT a SUNDAE. But this can be forgiven because it delivered more than just a usual ice cream-waffle dessert. Accompanied by gooey butterscotch sauce, crunchy pecan brittles and a monstrous ball of Honey & Fig Ice Cream, the waffle itself has already surpassed the pallid version we've had earlier due to its sturdier structure and a distinct buttery notes. The crispy candied bacon was a bonus.
But what I liked best was the bacon maple glazed donut ($5) which reminded me of a sticky sweet Bak Kwa bun that BreadTalk introduced years before or the "Sweet Mother of Bacon" from Artichoke. And it's actually a SIDE, not a DESSERT. Yes, petite in size but it may just be the wildest creature at the Beast.

DannyF
 • 24 Aug 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Just had brunch at The Beast and it was excellent! I miss good southern US food and this place satisfied my craving with their chicken and waffle. The staff are very friendly and service was great. Everything on their brunch menu looked amazing so I will definitely be back every Sunday to try the rest. I've been there for dinner too though and their dinner menu is equally as impressive. I highly recommend this restaurant... Great food, great service, great ambiance!

Must tries: Fried Chicken with Waffles