Reviews for The Beast

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

Great little place

Good pub food, not your usual American fare
Great service. Were about to try another place, but it had so many bad service reviews, was good to go to a place that had good service
Fun place especially on Open Mic night
• 10 May 2015 • 7 reviews • 0 follower

Great little place

Good pub food, not your usual American fare
Fun place especially on Open Mic night
• 24 Mar 2015 • 30 reviews • 0 follower

Great food great drinks

Overall
I'm a big bourbon fan, so this was a great find. A huge selection of bourbons from low to high end and a good cocktail list.  The mint Julep was good, the southern ice tea fantastic.

good burger with candied bacon - can't go wrong with that. It was the chicken and waffles however that stole tr show - delicious. Mac and cheese with bacon a fantastic side.

only 3 stars for atmosphere as we came primarily to eat and its a bar atmosphere.

• 16 Mar 2015 • 501 reviews • 68 followers

Overrated

Overall
We had heard about The Beast, a restaurant/bar specialising in southern cuisine (of which soul food is a subset of) and was drawn by the Amex tie up to offer set meals at a relatively reasonable price.

It was pouring the day we went and parking was a pain. What made it worse was that we were confined to sitting at the bar area, with reused oil cylinders as tables, loud music for accompaniment and dim lighting. Really uncomfortable. And to think we had made reservations about a week in advance. The place must be popular. Oh wait. I saw a couple of walk ins waiting at the bar area for a bit and getting a table upstairs. But I digress.

Roasted Tomato Soup - Served with a side of crisp toast sporting a gooey, cheesy filling that had me wanting for more, the tomato soup came across as lightly tart with a dash of fleeting spiciness in every mouthful. A great start to the food!

Chicken With Waffles - Apparently one of the very well received dishes at The Beast, the chicken with waffles was a mixed bag for me. First the positive. The buttermilk fried chicken was juicy and bursting with flavour beneath the beautifully crunchy skin. However the flavour was good for only the initial few mouthfuls and progressively muted down. But it was still a pretty good piece of chicken I must say. The downside to this dish was the waffle, which was crisp (almost to the extent of being hard though) but had an unpleasant sourish taste to it. And the watery bourbon maple syrup served alongside couldn't quite cover that up.

Chocolate Ice Cream - Decent way to end off; A nice big scoop of off the shelf chocolate ice cream topped with nuts and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

$30++ ($35.31 nett) per pax honestly isn't much in today's dining scene but I seriously think the restaurant needs to do something about the waffles, pronto. Service alternated between friendly but confused and outright unfriendly, depending on who we approached. Will I be back? Considering that the chicken and waffles couldn't quite match up to the real deal and our overall experience was less than positive, the answer, unfortunately, is a no.