11 Jul 2014
This is a hidden find that deserves recommending.
Located at the Central Mall, just inside of CBD, opposite Chinatown and the Subordinate Courts (now called State Courts).
I came to this restaurant for lunch recently, and was pretty amazed with the food quality.
Here are the highlights of my meal:
- Duck Confit - The duck was cooked Sous-Vide and pan fried before being plated and served. The presentation is what you would expect from a good restaurant. But the price is not what you pay! Only $17!
- Seafood Marinara Pasta – Tomato based pasta with seafood. Will try the other recommended Chicken Carbonara next time.
- Slow-Cooked Lamb with Mashed Potato – This was very good. The lamb is cooked Sous-Vide and
- Smoked Duck Pasta with Duck Wanton – The pasta was cooked in an oriental sauce and was topped with smoked duck and duck wanton. That’s right. The chef used roast duck, diced them (not minced), wrap them in wantons and deep-fry them.
The mains were followed by desserts. Chocolate sauce and syrup used to make designs on the plates, to make the desserts ‘more fun’. I loved their creativity in plating their desserts. You can see this in the photos.
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake and Vanilla Ice-cream – The lava cake was served warm and chocolate oozed out of the cake when cut.
- Mango Pudding - Tri-layered pudding, with mango pudding base, coconut ‘jelly’ and topped with mango juice/ puree. Different from the ones you get at Chinese restaurants. Very nice.
- Strawberry Pudding - Presentation was lovely. The pudding was heart shaped and plated with syrup used to draw a star-burst effect.
I learnt that the chef has over 17 years’ experience working as a Sous Chef in several top hotels as well as brand name restaurants (Marmalade and Prive)!
The food quality shows and the price is an even more attractive proposition! Did I mention that they also do not charge GST or service charge, so prices are nett.
I will be back again and this is definitely my new ‘food haunt’!