Mon - Sat: 09:00 - 21:00
Sun: 09:00 - 17:00
The Citrus House is a Modern European Restaurant serving pocket friendly dishes in great and delicious food variety.
This is a hidden find that deserves recommending.
Located at the Central Mall, just inside of CBD, opposite Chinatown and the Subordinate Courts (now called State Courts).
I came to this restaurant for lunch recently, and was pretty amazed with the food quality.
Here are the highlights of my meal:
- Duck Confit - The duck was cooked Sous-Vide and pan fried before being plated and served. The presentation is what you would expect from a good restaurant. But the price is not what you pay! Only $17!
- Seafood Marinara Pasta – Tomato based pasta with seafood. Will try the other recommended Chicken Carbonara next time.
- Slow-Cooked Lamb with Mashed Potato – This was very good. The lamb is cooked Sous-Vide and
- Smoked Duck Pasta with Duck Wanton – The pasta was cooked in an oriental sauce and was topped with smoked duck and duck wanton. That’s right. The chef used roast duck, diced them (not minced), wrap them in wantons and deep-fry them.
The mains were followed by desserts. Chocolate sauce and syrup used to make designs on the plates, to make the desserts ‘more fun’. I loved their creativity in plating their desserts. You can see this in the photos.
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake and Vanilla Ice-cream – The lava cake was served warm and chocolate oozed out of the cake when cut.
- Mango Pudding - Tri-layered pudding, with mango pudding base, coconut ‘jelly’ and topped with mango juice/ puree. Different from the ones you get at Chinese restaurants. Very nice.
- Strawberry Pudding - Presentation was lovely. The pudding was heart shaped and plated with syrup used to draw a star-burst effect.
I learnt that the chef has over 17 years’ experience working as a Sous Chef in several top hotels as well as brand name restaurants (Marmalade and Prive)!
The food quality shows and the price is an even more attractive proposition! Did I mention that they also do not charge GST or service charge, so prices are nett.
I will be back again and this is definitely my new ‘food haunt’!
The Citrus House is located at 1 Magazine Road #01-06 / 07 Central Mall, Singapore 059567 and the number to dial is 6536 3877. Done in monochrome tones and ceiling-to-floor glass, The Citrus House actually looks kind of like a sleek glass house from the outside. One side of the interior looks like a long bar-stand, with mirror panelled walls.
When it opened, it was something to look forward to, since it looked like a chic cafe with a chillout ambience with comfortable orange booth seats even.
So, *Edgar and I were there for a simple lunch. He ordered The Ultimate Beef Burger (SGD$12.80) - thick beef patty topped with cheese served with home fries and salad. Whatever "home fries" meant, it was simply shoestring fries that were fried to a golden crispiness. The thick beef patty was dry and the taste was all right, nothing spectacular.
I had the Chicken Wing (SGD$6.00) served with Chipotle sauce (which was spelt as 'chipote sauce' on the menu), some Fruit Tarts I ordered from the counter (SGD$2.50 or $3.50 for 4 pieces) and a cup of Hot Chocolate (SGD$4.50).
The Chicken Wings were all right, nothing to boost about because it was bland in taste and the skin was not crispy. The Hot Chocolate tasted more like hot Milo which was disappointing. The Fruit Tarts were the only redeeming items - sweet but tasty, with a crunchy but fluffy crust to them, and the fruit atop were lovely but then one couldnt really go wrong with berries.
For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:
Tender, juicy duck confit made with duck that was first sous vide, then pan-fried, and served with vegetables and a rich, tart roux for $16.80? You can have it too, at service charge- and GST-free The Citrus House. P.S. The rest of their menu is equally affordable - a slow-cooked lamb with mash potatoes, mushrooms and vegetables for only $17.80? - and they are bookable through HungryGoWhere. #gooddealsgreattaste On weekends, a play area is set up for children.