Summary

Kaya Toast, Wagyu beef, carabineo prawns, Free range chicken, Maine Lobster, Salted Egg Yolk Custard Macaron, 3 artichoke salade, Chocolat, Durian BB Pudding, Foie gras a la chinoise, Japanese A4 Toriyama beef, New Zealand Coral Cod, Oignon doux des Cévennes, Oignon doux des Cévennes, 62 degree egg, buckwheat, noisette crouton, The Onion Revealed View all
Anniversary, Birthdays, Dinner, Fine Dining, Formal Events View all

Fabulous Degustation Dinner on 1Jun2016

see my full reviews & photos at = https://chefquak.com/2016/06/03/fabulous-degustation-dinner-cornerhouse-in-1jun2016/

my first time to cornerhouse. i had been to au jardin & taken the degustation several times previously but not since cornerhouse took over.

looking at my previous post, the last time we were here was for the new year eve dinner on 12.31.2016.

for this evening we had a 5-course degustation menu at S$188++

i asked for one of the 2 verandah tables seating looking out at the gardens.

it was really nice. the amuse bouche comprises 3 items.

couldn’t really remember…they were all good la! this one quite unique taste.

this a salty fish cracker with tobiko. great!

last a amuse bouche – bitter cucumber terrine. we enjoyed all of the them.

the first course, carabinero prawn, scarlett prawn from mediterranean, was simply awesome!

the variations of seasonal tomatoes, with basil, olive oil & another falvour were sublime.

the prawn was steamed & chilled, very sweet, tasty & firm. told wife the texture felt like lobster. & there was a tomato sorbet, basically a very flavourful gazpacho, at the top, 12 o’clock! ^^

later i saw on naked fins a nice pic.

it was a very large prawn, and in some sites they mentioned it tasted like lobster.

second course was white asparagus with a 24mths comte cheese & ikura.

such an artistic presentation! ^^

the white asparagus (confit maybe?) was par excellence, very tender & sweet. overall while the dish was very tasty & enjoyable, it made less impression than the tomatoes (& prawns).

the 3rd course, maine lobster, was quite sublime, out of this world! ^^

lobster was firm, sweet, tasty, riso (a risotto like pasta) was great & the sauce was just fantastic! (from bottarga the salted fish roe i think?).

the 4th course, japanese toriyama wagyu was like any top jap wagyu, simply fabulous, so much better than australian or USA, & horseradish mash was excellent with the beef.

the last course, chocolate earl grey dessert, was good.

i mean the chocolates were great really, the sorbet too, among the best i guess, not exactly my favourite dessert. wife & i not particularly hot on chocolates & if chocolate i prefer the really dark intense chocolate type rather than just smooth with earl grey flavour etc….

petit four was pretty good.

they charged for coffee. i always felt coffee should be just included in a degustation & green tea too in a japanese kaiseki, a touch of class not to charge extra…anyway just my persona views..

we skipped the coffee.

dinner 2xS$188pax + 2 glasses of wine came to S$513.

it was an excellent dinner very enjoyable so money well spent. looking back at the 2013 au jardin NYE degustation, i think that offerred a bit better value not this time we had lobster. hard to compare i guess.

i still miss jaan, since that they withdrew feed @ raffles benefits, we were unwilling to pay the full fare & also the menu still looked the same after 2 rounds, andre chiang & julien royers having left…

Most helpful reviews for Corner House

Delectable food and impeccable service with attention to detail

Detailed review on my blog: http://lynnechua.blogspot.com/2016/04/boyfriends-birthday-celebration-2016-at.html

Reservation was made 2.5 weeks prior to our dinner on a Saturday, where 6.30pm was the only slot available. I have been wanting to dine at this restaurant after seeing photos on Instagram and also the good reviews online. I decided to book it to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday this year.

There was no ala carte option in the menu, which was a pity as we were restricted from choosing 1 out of 3 options for each course. We picked Carabinero prawn (supplement $22) and 3 artichoke salade as our appetisers, Oignon doux des Cévennes with 62 degree egg, buckwheat and noisette crouton as our starters, Japanese A4 Toriyama beef (supplement $42 each) as our mains, My kaya toast and Chocolat "Earl Grey yin zhen" (supplement $8) as our desserts.

Based on our order, I would strongly recommend this combination for the 4 course set menu:
Appetiser: 3 artichoke salade
Starter: Oignon doux des Cévennes with 62 degree egg, buckwheat and noisette crouton
Main: Japanese A4 Toriyama Beef
Dessert: My Kaya Toast

The food were really fantastic. Service was impeccable where they paid very good attention to every detail. Also, they did fulfill my request of writing 'Happy Birthday' on my boyfriend's plate of dessert with a litted candle. We would definitely return in the future.

Some hit dishes, the others so-so

For more reviews and photos, visit hungrybaker.co
Wandering around the Botanic Gardens in the dark is no fun, but it can have a delicious ending if you’re going for dinner at Corner House. The two-storey colonial bungalow is beautifully furnished in shades of grey and has a washroom with open windows and a view from the second storey.

On to the food! We tried the four-course dinner menu ($98). There is a six-course option ($148) as well.

To start, we were given amuse bouches and bread.

For the appetisers, we had the Hokkaido scallop and French royale oyster. The French royale oyster was a fascinating dish, from the mist created by the dry ice to the flavours, but I prefer a fresh, plump and juicy oyster highlighted with just a splash of lemon instead of muffled with toppings.

For starters, we had the New Zealand cod “Crispy Scales” and Oignon doux des Cévennes. The New Zealand cod “Crispy Scales” highlighted an interesting technique, but tastewise, was average. My companion could not stop exclaiming about the Oignon doux des Cévennes, 62 degree egg, buckwheat, noisette croúton, which I have to agree was really good.

For the main, I ordered the Free range chicken, foie gras, romanesco, sauce. I would not order foie gras if I had a choice, but I didn’t eat the other option offered. I must say the fattened liver was perfectly cooked, although I would have preferred more textures to contrast with the sous vide chicken.

We were given a palate cleanser before desserts. We had My interpretation of kaya toast and Durian BB Pudding.

My interpretation of kaya toast was good, but I don’t having to combine so many separate components. I really enjoyed the Durian BB Pudding, kopi ice cream, caramel, evaporated milk anglaise. It looked like a cute overgrown mushroom, the flavours went well together and I kept wanting more.

To end the meal, we had salted egg yolk macarons, which were unusual and quite good. Despite the “Happy Birthday” piping, we were charged for them, which is strange as most restaurants usually offer something complimentary for diners celebrating a birthday.

I think one could leave Corner House either impressed or finding it just average, depending on the dishes ordered. With the amuse bouches, palate cleanser and cookies to bring home in a tin, I think $98 for the meal is not exorbitant. I do look forward to trying it again when the menu is updated, though some dishes would be missed if replaced.

Amazing vegetarian degustation

I am vegetarian and my dining companion loves his meat and seafood. It is not often we find a place where the food is awesome for both of us. Suffice to say, we found it here :)

We had the 6-course degustation, mine was veg, his was from the regular menu. The stellar course in my degustation was 'The Onion Revealed' where chef Jason Tan showcased the onion in a variety of ways - Onion puree with 62deg egg, onion chip, onion tea, and onion filo pastry. I loved this course because he could have chosen any other more "stellar" vegetables but chose the humble onion, often used but forgotten. I could almost see his thought processes in the final presentation of what he thought the onion is and could be. This course was accompanied by a small booklet explaining the prep processes. The other standout course was one where 30 different veggie components was presented on a leaf plate. Beautiful and such a party in my mouth, so many flavours and textures. Use of texture is prominent throughout the degustation, in mine and my partner's degustation, each course would feature a combi of soft, liquid, crunchy, smooth textures.

My dining partner's stellar course was the cod fish, I could literally hear the crisp in the crispy skin. His other fav course was the chicken cooked two ways.

The use of botanicals features strongly in his degustation, from herbs to flowers and little plants I wouldn't usually see on a plate. I love the fact that the garnishes are almost the highlight. it's so nice to find a place where a chef uses plants, herbs, grains, even edible flowers, in a thoughtful way and not as a "by the way".

We enjoyed complimentary sweet wine with a smokey finish to accompany the desserts which lent a nice touch. I found a strand of hair entwined in the pre-dessert, when I informed them of it, it was returned and they came back with a replacement and an extra pre-dessert. After the pre-dessert, and main dessert, was an 'after meal' petite four that included a salted egg yolk macaroon that was memorable. We were presented with a tin of cookies and a tin of madeleines to bring home.

At the end of the meal, chef Jason Tan asked to meet us downstairs, where he passed me back the booklet that accompanied 'the onion revealed' course with a handwritten note. Lovely way to end our meal.

too pricey , servers arent attentive

for the price they charged And since it was the old au jardin, i came with expectations of good food and good service but their servers Were not attentive enough. I had to ask them for menu 2x , first for the food menu, then 1 more time for drinks. Food is just so-so, but what i hated the most was that they actually cleared dirty plates at the dining area itself!! Almost directly next to our table. Our dining was disturbed by the noises of the servers cleaning dirty plates! been to so many fine dining restos, usually they would bring the dirty plates and clean them at the back, away from customers. Would never come back here. If u really had to try,pls request for table at the verandah, or else forget it, for the price they charged, choose some other place!