Reviews for Corner House

EuropeanFrenchWestern
Hoongy !

A Treat

Looking for that place for a special occasion, I decided to pay a visit to The Corner House at Botanical Gardens. After many years, Les Amis Au Jardin may be gone, but The Corner House serves up a similar fine dining fare that pretty much targets the same market.

At a recent visit, I decided to go for the six course meal ($148) which has four starters, one main and a dessert.

For the starters, I tried the oyster. Served in a plastic oyster mould the fresh oyster was marinated in gelatin. Despite the rich sauce, it could not cover the slightly fishy after taste.

Another starter I had was the Carabinero Prawn (+$18). This thick slightly sweet Japanese prawn was paired with tomato and vinegar as well as a little "palette cleanser" in a tomato ice cream to finish.

For something lighter, go for the beetroot, a colourful dish of sweet (beetroot) and savory (small slices of saltwater eel).

Still on the starters there is the Maine Lobster (+$18), a chef favourite in which the lobster is placed on its own broth with risotto.

Moving on to the main course, I tried the Cod Fish with Fried Scales. Here, the scales of this fish was fried separately and then placed back on a slab of the fish. Unfortunately, I believe that the fish served was more of a seabass than a cod, mainly because its meat was really firm and lacked the fattiness.

Better was the Omi Beef (+$45) in which A5 wagyu is used from Japan. Really thick marbling in which two small slices is more than enough.

Finally for dessert, the chocolate tart topped with a gold leaf is really thick and would do well with chocolate lovers. Those looking for something more interesting would do well with the chef's rendition of kaya toast, which is a light kaya tasting ice cream coloured in cream wrapped in between two biscuits. Both desserts were good.

Overall, a nice experience, with good service to match. Ideal for that birthday and anniversary celebration in a slightly rustic environment.
10 Dec 2014 • 1909 reviews • 258 followers

A Treat

10 Oct 2014 • 13 reviews • 1 follower

More to come

Great food, great ambience and great service.
i did not book a table and was initially being rejected. However, they manage to allocate a table for 4 to us. 1up.
food was delicious even though my main was not for my taste. Seeing what my companion was served definitely warrant a 2nd visit. Staff was there to intro every dish. 1up.
environment 1up.
I just wish that there will be new set menu every month so that I can enjoy lunch to the fullest
13 Sep 2014 • 7 reviews • 0 follower

Loved the food and the beautiful place

My wife wanted to go to this place since it was “Le Jardin” and we read that it was now a new restaurant owned by a local talented chef (Jason Tan), so we decided to go there to celebrate our wedding anniversary last Friday.   We loved the food (Carabineros, Lobster, Wagyu beef, Kaya toast) and the setting. Chef Jason Tan delivers on the promise and the place by itself is already an experience.  I found the food prices quite decent given the great quality and the quantity (four course meal is $98 plus the supplements depending on what you order). Coffee/Tea is offered on the house and you even get a small cake to take home.   The service is OK, but not near at the level of the kitchen and the setting. You can tell that the waiters are full of good intentions but lack the experience and knowledge.   The big disappointment was the wine service that charges excessive prices and delivers very little:   ·               Before ordering the food, we ordered a bottle of Champagne Guy Charlemagne Rosé (retail price around $70-$80, and charged here at $170) to celebrate with bubbles. After a long wait (and several visits from the waiter checking if we were ready to order the food), the bubbles arrived. Big disappointment, bubbles were at red wine temperature… Another long wait to get the champagne down to the right temperature in the ice bucket... ·               I picked the Wagyu beef out as my main and the artisan cheese plate for dessert, so I ordered a half bottle of Nuits-Saint-Georges 2011 Domaine Anaux-Lachaux priced at $85 (no cheap when you know that the full bottle goes for around $40-$50 in the US). Fortunately, I ordered it before my starter arrived because it took them 30 minutes to bring the bottle to our table. ·               Wines by the glass are priced at $30-$35, and no wine pairing offer to match the great food.   The restaurant was half empty, which is quite surprising for a Friday night. I can only think of only two reasons for such a beautiful place with great food to be half empty on a Friday night:   1.            The mediocre web page of this restaurant that lacks pretty much everything. No menu information, no wine list, no photos. 2.            The ridiculous wine prices.   All in all, we enjoyed the food, the place, celebrated nicely our anniversary, and went home happy despite of the $606 bill. Would I go back? Not unless they lower the wine’s prices or offer an affordable wine pairing.