Reviews for Corner House

EuropeanFrenchWestern
Chocfudge

$42 for water

Overall, pretty good. Food was tasty & beautifully presented. Service was efficient & pleasant enough. What threw me off however was the fact that I eventually got charged $36++ for water that they conveniently kept pouring without asking & of course proceeded to charge. I usually don't quibble about price but if you charge $12++ for a small bottle of San Pellegrino, perhaps after the first bottle, you might want to ask the customer first? Was rather ironic that 3 bottles of water could have bought another set lunch almost. Rather sneaky on their part I thought. So, yes, go & eat, by all means. I think the chef is doing a good job in a nice place. Just ask for ice water perhaps? Unfortunate this. Because of this I don't think I'll go back for a long long while.
20 Jan 2015 • 18 reviews • 1 follower

$42 for water

10 Dec 2014 • 1943 reviews • 259 followers

A Treat

Looking for that place for a special occasion, I decided to pay a visit to The Corner House at Botanical Gardens. After many years, Les Amis Au Jardin may be gone, but The Corner House serves up a similar fine dining fare that pretty much targets the same market.

At a recent visit, I decided to go for the six course meal ($148) which has four starters, one main and a dessert.

For the starters, I tried the oyster. Served in a plastic oyster mould the fresh oyster was marinated in gelatin. Despite the rich sauce, it could not cover the slightly fishy after taste.

Another starter I had was the Carabinero Prawn (+$18). This thick slightly sweet Japanese prawn was paired with tomato and vinegar as well as a little "palette cleanser" in a tomato ice cream to finish.

For something lighter, go for the beetroot, a colourful dish of sweet (beetroot) and savory (small slices of saltwater eel).

Still on the starters there is the Maine Lobster (+$18), a chef favourite in which the lobster is placed on its own broth with risotto.

Moving on to the main course, I tried the Cod Fish with Fried Scales. Here, the scales of this fish was fried separately and then placed back on a slab of the fish. Unfortunately, I believe that the fish served was more of a seabass than a cod, mainly because its meat was really firm and lacked the fattiness.

Better was the Omi Beef (+$45) in which A5 wagyu is used from Japan. Really thick marbling in which two small slices is more than enough.

Finally for dessert, the chocolate tart topped with a gold leaf is really thick and would do well with chocolate lovers. Those looking for something more interesting would do well with the chef's rendition of kaya toast, which is a light kaya tasting ice cream coloured in cream wrapped in between two biscuits. Both desserts were good.

Overall, a nice experience, with good service to match. Ideal for that birthday and anniversary celebration in a slightly rustic environment.
10 Oct 2014 • 13 reviews • 1 follower

More to come

Great food, great ambience and great service.
i did not book a table and was initially being rejected. However, they manage to allocate a table for 4 to us. 1up.
food was delicious even though my main was not for my taste. Seeing what my companion was served definitely warrant a 2nd visit. Staff was there to intro every dish. 1up.
environment 1up.
I just wish that there will be new set menu every month so that I can enjoy lunch to the fullest