Review for The Kitchen Table

3.3

AsianCantoneseChineseIndianInternationalJapaneseThaiWestern
21 Apr 2014
Overall

The Most Ungracious Buffet !!!

We were spoilt for choice choosing a venue for Easter Sunday Brunch but decided to try out The Kitchen Table since it was relatively new. We booked for 12.30 pm and arrived early at 12.15 pm but was told to wait at the lobby as the restaurant wasn't opened yet (they didn't allow us to be seated first which was fine).  We returned at 12.35 pm only to find a long queue at the restaurant. By the time we were seated 10-15 mins had gone past. Once seated I asked to be served a champagne since we had the free flow option. The champagne glass arrived first (incidently its half the size of a normal flute glass) and we had to wait another 10-15 mins before the bubbly was served. Thereafter it was trying to get the waiters attention to top up the champagne. Next at the seafood bar there was only 1 guy behind shucking the oyster and a queue of about 7-8 ppl were waiting. The restaurant should have at least prepared a tray of opened oysters for the first batch. I guess they 'preferred' their customers to wait in line to see how fresh the oysters were. They had also kept their 'prized' seafood (Prawns,mussels,crab leg) behind the glass counter and there was only one guy distributing it on request.  After having the mains (which was not impressive albeit the lobster tandoori), I visited the cheese selection only to find it empty. I had to request for them to replenish it and it took another 20 mins. There were 7-8 variety of cheeses on the tray and surely they could have replenished it when a selection of cheese is finished.  At about 2 pm, a waiter came to my table with the cheque (unprompted) and reminded us that we were not to have separate cheques as per the reservation email. I told him that we were not done and the next seating is at 3 pm so why the rush. Subsequently at 2.30 pm we were told that it was the last pour for the champagne as we only had 2 hours of free flow (technically I could have argued that we didn't have the full 2 hours given their inefficient service). No where in the reservation email was it stated that we were entitled to 2 hours of free flow nor did the restaurant advise us when we first got there. To top things off when I settled the bill I was charged for a child who is 5 years of age. When I asked the waiter he replied that children 4 years and below eat for free and older kids will be charged $78+++. As he went away, I checked my reservation email and it clearly stated that only children 6-12 years of age will be charged. I disputed this charge and only then did they void it. Obviously after this experience I will not be returning. To the people at W hotel, if you want to do a high end buffet brunch please do it graciously and do not let your customers feel short changed. After all you are charging $188+++ per head. If you need guidance you should take cue from the champagne brunch at Ritz Calton Singapore.

More reviews of The Kitchen Table

Lunch Buffet at W Hotel

Was at W Hotel for a full day seminar and this restaurant - The Kitchen Table, was where we had lunch. They serve buffet, which allow each participant to eat what they like.   From the seafood and cold cuts section, I had the cold poached prawns, mussels and salmon sashimi.

There are good selections from the Indian counter at The Kitchen Table. Garlic marinated chicken thigh tikka. Also love the mint and mango chutney.

From the noodle section, a choice of laksa or chicken soup. Pick your own ingredients to make your own bowl of noodles. Totally love the spoon which looks more like a table sculpture than cutlery

For dessesrts, the standouts were: - Curry Creme Brûlée: Looks like durian pengat (durian purée). Interesting to taste the curry in this dessert. On the top are cut pineapple in cinnamon spice, which I didn't really enjoy.

-Panna cotta: This was served in a plastic egg cup. Now this egg doesn't need any salt and pepper at all. It's actually a panna cotta dessert in a plastic egg shell that looks like the real thing! Even the yolk when I break my spoon into starts to 'flow' like an actual egg yolk. High points for presentation!

A good variety of food at different stations that caters to different taste buds.

With a good view of the marina to boot!

Management response from The Kitchen Table, published 11 Nov 2015
Dear Wooo-Hooo,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your dining experience at The Kitchen Table. I am thrilled to read that you were impressed with the selection of our cuisine and specially the pastries that have captivated your interest.

I am also glad to share with you that we are constantly featuring different theme of cuisine every month to enhance our guest experience.

Thank you once again and it is always my pleasure to have you back again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove.

Best Regards,

Tom Sellakutty
Venue Manager, The Kitchen Table
Overall

Great for breakfast. not so good for anything else

Came here twice during a stay at W hotel

Breakfast was superb! a wonderful spread of deliciousness

Dinner however, was pricey and the selections were only comparable to the breafast offerings. nothing tangably more than that
Management response from The Kitchen Table, published 28 Sep 2015
Dear Natalie Kim, Thank you for your review and I am glad that you have enjoyed our breakfast selections. I have also addressed your concerns with my culinary team to ensure a better dining experience for our guests. Thank you once again for your valuable comments and I am looking forward to welcome you again in the near future. Best Regards, Tom Sellakutty Venue Manger, The Kitchen Table

sustainable seafood

This is a long overdue of a review from a HGW foodtasting review session featuring guest chef Peter Kuruvita. Peter is an Australian who grew up on Sri Lanka plus he is a firm believer of sustainable seafood.

Here’s some of the items I sampled

Jaffna Kool (soup) – light broth made from fish, a bit too light on taste

Ginger, Chilli, Shallot crab – a fragrant and power packed sauce that goes well with the mud crabs

Wok Fried Dory fish, sambal chilli sauce – sambal can be a bit more powerful

Barramundi, Orange Beurre Blanc – nice use of the citrus infused creamy sauce with the fish

Ambul Thial – traditional Sri Lankan dish, like a dry curry sauce, my fav

I also had a good conversation with chef Peter over the different sustainability concepts, hype and facts. It will be qute hard to draw diner based on the suatainability theme as diner goes for good food first and foremost. But I applaud W Hotel attempt in raising awareness of the farming/harvest practices of the seafood sources.

Management response from The Kitchen Table, published 28 Sep 2015
Dear Caleb Lim, Thank you for your review and choosing The Kitchen Table as your dining destination. It is a pleasure to read about your comments about our ocean friendly cuisine. As a continuous effort of W Hotel’s commitment towards environmental and sustainability seafood, I am pleased to share with you that we will be featuring Chef Peter Kuruvita soon. So stay tune! Thank you once again for your support and I am looking forward to welcome you again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove. Best Regards, Tom Sellakutty Venue Manger, The Kitchen Table

Utter fail

Given the price for weekend dinner ($85 per pax++) buffet dinner was worst value for money, period. Not only was the selection meager and weak (read small and not well balanced); most dishes on offer was tasteless and not served hot. For the price you'd expect more than boxed pasta or the fishcake served with the local noodle of your choice. When asked how are the various dishes were to be served, i was repeatly met with blank stares.
 The shashmi was borderline 'going bad' and the desserts are a hodgepodge of misses.
I had difficulty plating enough nuturious food to feed my 2 year old and ended feeding him crackers, parpadams and mantou as subsitute for a proper meal in a what is supposed to be a five star hotel.
Surely an unforgettable dinner experience made worst by the uber pricing which makes it hard to digest from such a high end establishment. "Does anyone taste the dishes before being served?" i was wondering the whole night, obviously not was the refrain.  As a Starwood member, this is the worst experience dinning or staying with the Group. Utter Fail is all i can say.
Management response from The Kitchen Table, published 28 Sep 2015
Dear baer99, Thank you for taking the time to write us your review. I am disappointed to read about your dining experience in the Kitchen Table. I have addressed your concerns with my culinary team and the necessary changes have been made to ensure that such experience will not reoccur in the future. Hope that you will take this as an one off experience and I am looking forward to be at your service again in the near future. Best Regards, Tom Sellakutty Venue Manager, The Kitchen Table

Buffet With Sustainable Seafood

Recently, Kitchen Table at W Hotel hosted Australian celebrity chef Peter Kuruvita. I was fortunate to dine over the weekend when he was in Singapore for the launch and see him in person.

I have been to Kitchen Table restaurant before and Kitchen Table has a good spread of local, western, Indian, seafood and dessert offerings. The restaurant has most of their food items laid out buffet style, alongside live stations where chefs prepare your food to order.

For this sustainable seafood campaign, Chef Kuruvita had some dishes prepared according to his recipes and these dishes were laid out together with the regular buffet items, in the different sections: Local, Western, Indian, Seafood and Dessert counters.

Chef Kuruvita’s dishes focuses on new renditions of flavourful seafood using fresh and sustainably sourced ingredients.

Some of the dishes that I liked were:

- Ambul Thial: King fish with black paste over it. A little dry for my liking.

- Snapper Curry: This is a stand-out! The fish is soft and tasty. The curry is also good. It went well with the plain basmatic rice. Must try!

- Red Rice Fishcakes: Fish cake patty deep fried. Good taste and goes well with chutney.

- Crab with ginger sauce: The sauce is gingery in taste. It looks much like chilli crab, except that its more watery. This was very popular and once the serving station is topped up, its cleared out by the diners. Try it!

- Wattarlarain Dessert: Sri Lankan Crème brulee. Its thick and after torching the top of the dessert, its fopped with some syrup. Taste-wise, it reminds me of coffee crème brulee.

The standouts from the usual buffet were:

- Tandoori Chicken and Fish: These were freshly grilled in the tandoor. Its nicely marinated. I much prefer the chicken than the fish. The chef recommended me to eat this with the mango chutney. Its delicious. Recommended!

- Freshly shucked oysters: These were very fresh. Instead of eating it with vinegrette/ tabasco and lemon, I added the soy sauce for the sashimi. It gave the oysters a nice flavour.

- Cheese and Desserts: There were a wide range of cheese and desserts. Cheese and dessert lovers will be happy.

I loved the ambience of the restaurant and after your meal, you can take a stroll outside to enjoy the view of the marina and relax.

Recommended!

Management response from The Kitchen Table, published 17 Jun 2015
Dear howinston, Thank you for fantastic review and choosing The Kitchen Table as your dining destination. It is a pleasure to read about your comments about our ocean friendly cuisine. Chef Peter Kuruvita dishes are also in line with W Hotel’s environmental and sustainability commitment. Thank you once again and I am looking forward to welcome you again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove. Best Regards, Thamotharan Sellakutty Venue Manger, The Kitchen Table