Review for The Lokal

Western
Address: 136 Neil Road, 088865
12 Jul 2014

Superficial

I usually don't bother posting HGW reviews, but after being bitten twice, I feel that I just had to highlight what they need to work on.

Came once during lunch time and was busy, the food and service were pretty crappy but then I thought that they should be given a chance cos they're new and all. But no, on the second try a week later, their food was still v. disappointing and the servers are so blur! There was a girl standing less than 7 steps from our seat, I had my hand raised to call for water and she was still dreaming away.

Breakfast burger. Sloppy, bland, and meat was tough and overcooked though ironically it came without much crispiness. It wasn't even hot, tasted as though it was deep fried and then just left on the countertop till your order comes in. Bun was dry, too.

Cappuccino. While it was smooth, it had a very strong bitter note on the aftertaste which took a couple of gulps of fruit juice to get rid of. I don't know whether it was meant to be like that styiistically, or it was burnt- if it were the former then a headsup from their servers or on the menu would have been nice.

Toasted banana bread: waaaay too heavy. It was sweet, sticky, and goopy not in a good way. Took no more than 2 bites.

Sticky Date Pudding: This was the most decent dish of the lot, and was sweet and nutty with the decadent taste of date. Though a little on the sweet side, it's still manageable compared to the toasted banana bread.

Smashed avocado, homemade ricotta cheese, pomelo and toasted almonds on sourdough. Taste wise was good- fresh, light, and using good ingredients. But way too expensive at $18 for the small portion.

Overall, this is a hipster cafe-hopping kind of place that looks pretty but doesn't deliver much for those staying around the area. I'm looking for a comfortable regular haunt where I can go for my weekend brunch without feeling like I'm packed uncomfortably into a tin can of hipsters and youngsters. And without feeling ripped off.

Definitely not recommended for families with children- my girls were so irritable cos food took quite a while to serve, and it was generally quite warm and noisy in the cafe.

More reviews of The Lokal

Food Review: The Lokal

For the full review and more photos, head over to http://toroamtheworld.blogspot.com/2015/12/food-review-lokal-revisit.html

Toasted Banana Bread ($12++): I've heard so much about this banana bread that I decided to get it, despite me not being a fan of bananas. While I wasn't 100% convinced of its hype, it's still a good slice of banana bread, with it being moist and quite rich in flavour. What I love most is the yogurt! It's all made in house and it's got a little tinge of sourness. The caramelised bananas were quite nice too. And as usual, something crunchy to add to the whole dish is the toasted macademia nuts. Great combination overall and I swept the plate clean (especially of the yogurt)!

Lokal Lobster Roll ($22++): My friend tried this Lobster Roll which is made up of slipper lobster tails, gherkin (pickled cucumber), coleslaw, lemon mayonnaise and served with twister fries. The lobster meat was fresh, but a bit overpowered by the coleslaw and mayo. That said, I think they should adjust the ratio of lobster meat to other ingredients, because it feels like you're eating much more salad than the meat itself. But it's priced reasonably so maybe that's why...?

I believe that this cafe sells quality food, and if I come again I may try their sandwiches, which I heard are not bad too!

great food

look at all the curly fries that everyone has been craving and raving for! crisy and tasty is all it meant! I think my photo definately made justice to the food there! look at the food that we have! they looks extremely appetizing and taste great as well! super yummy and worth while! the mash potato was what I wished I had a second serving! the meat were.all nicely done and super juicy! I simply love the way they present their food.

Brunch

The restaurant is a casual eatery that uses homemade ingredients. The restaurant is packed during lunch time on Sunday in its small narrow outlet and there is a waitlist for a table. We are lucky not to have to wait long for a table. However we are showed to a narrow table where both of us have to sit side by side over looking the main dining room. The main dining room kind of becomes a show for us. There is hardly any space for us to put our bags. Its either the table or floor. Warm mackerel salad ($18) watercress, apple, pine nuts, pickled onion & herb dressing Interesting salad. I am not a fan of watercress as I feel that the vegetable has a bitter taste. But in this dish it comes out alright. Roast chicken ciabatta ($19) avocado, romaine lettuce, tomato, bacon & aioli The sandwich is served cold and quite messy to handle. THE LOKEL baked eggs ($20) Spicy beef or pork, mushrooms, onion, beans, potato, bacon & 2 eggs This dish is served hot and is surprisely spicy in taste. Heavily flavoured, although I would prefer it to served with some toasts. Toasted banana bread ($14) homemade vanilla yogurt & toasted macadamia nuts It is one of most well known in the restaurant, yet I feel disappointed in having it. The banana taste is barely there. It is lucky to have the yogurt which makes it moist and creamy to eat. Overall the food is not bad. Although we order 4 main dishes, we are only allows 1 1-for-1 in the Enterainer mobile app by the staff. The staff replies that we need to be at least 4 persons in order to use 2 of the promotion coupons, which is quite a disappointing experience for me. No matter what I said she still stands still. The place is quite loud and noisy. Another thing which I am annoyed with is the narrow table which we are dining on. There is barely space enough for the food and drinks, with everything been served including the dessert. We kind of feeling the need to rush through our meal in order to make space. The staff should have take note of the limited space and serves the food batch by batch. It is also difficult to get the attention of the staffs.

Disappointing

Was here for the famed coffee and chai latte but both fell short from my not-so-high expectation. The cafe latte was diluted, just bad. Same with the chai latte. The sticky pudding was okay though. Otherwise, a nice place to hang out with the plush pillows.

Bad service

I came here for the first time because many of my friends told me the coffee was nice. When I walked in to the cafe, there was no welcome greeting by the service staff. Granted they were ALL busy. However, I later observed and realized the service staff were poorly trained, inattentive and easily distracted by various requests from customers. Food was mediocre. Coffee was not bad.
This is always a common problem with cafes which are unable to keep up with their service & food with the so-called ambience.