Summary

coffee, Latte, Roast Chicken on Panini, Roast beef on rye, Sticky Date Pudding, 1/2 kampong chicken, Breakfast Burger, Cuppaccino, Toasted Banana Bread, toast with egg and avocado, toasties View all
Brunch, Breakfast, After Work, Lunch, Ala Carte, Birthdays, Business Breakfast View all

Superficial

I usually don't bother posting HGW reviews, but after being bitten twice, I feel that I just had to highlight what they need to work on.

Came once during lunch time and was busy, the food and service were pretty crappy but then I thought that they should be given a chance cos they're new and all. But no, on the second try a week later, their food was still v. disappointing and the servers are so blur! There was a girl standing less than 7 steps from our seat, I had my hand raised to call for water and she was still dreaming away.

Breakfast burger. Sloppy, bland, and meat was tough and overcooked though ironically it came without much crispiness. It wasn't even hot, tasted as though it was deep fried and then just left on the countertop till your order comes in. Bun was dry, too.

Cappuccino. While it was smooth, it had a very strong bitter note on the aftertaste which took a couple of gulps of fruit juice to get rid of. I don't know whether it was meant to be like that styiistically, or it was burnt- if it were the former then a headsup from their servers or on the menu would have been nice.

Toasted banana bread: waaaay too heavy. It was sweet, sticky, and goopy not in a good way. Took no more than 2 bites.

Sticky Date Pudding: This was the most decent dish of the lot, and was sweet and nutty with the decadent taste of date. Though a little on the sweet side, it's still manageable compared to the toasted banana bread.

Smashed avocado, homemade ricotta cheese, pomelo and toasted almonds on sourdough. Taste wise was good- fresh, light, and using good ingredients. But way too expensive at $18 for the small portion.

Overall, this is a hipster cafe-hopping kind of place that looks pretty but doesn't deliver much for those staying around the area. I'm looking for a comfortable regular haunt where I can go for my weekend brunch without feeling like I'm packed uncomfortably into a tin can of hipsters and youngsters. And without feeling ripped off.

Definitely not recommended for families with children- my girls were so irritable cos food took quite a while to serve, and it was generally quite warm and noisy in the cafe.

Most helpful reviews for The Lokal

Bad service

I came here for the first time because many of my friends told me the coffee was nice. When I walked in to the cafe, there was no welcome greeting by the service staff. Granted they were ALL busy. However, I later observed and realized the service staff were poorly trained, inattentive and easily distracted by various requests from customers. Food was mediocre. Coffee was not bad.
This is always a common problem with cafes which are unable to keep up with their service & food with the so-called ambience.

Innovative food items

For full review, visit http://www.ms-skinnyfat.com/2014/07/the-lokal.html

This new cafe on Neil Road is the offspring of Sarnies, another crazy packed cafe that I've yet to try (ZOMG call myself a food blogger).
Well The Lokal checked off all the boxes on the hipster cafe checklist and they even went as far as to throw in a $40k Slayer machine. Oh that s*** beast took me on an intense ride with his latte ($5.50) and I must say it was all very smooth. And a little nutty too. The beans are from Sarnies and they have their barista consultant, affectionately known as the K Man, who is overseeing the coffee making for now.  Many would go for the signature Veal Schnitzel Burger ($28) served with a tangy grilled pineapple and red slaw but we skipped that because chunky chips weren't available that day! Instead, i opted for the Roast Beef on Rye ($17). The sandwich was a combination of perfectly caramelized onion and thinly sliced sautéed beef. The flavors were a little sweet and could be sharpened with a stronger mustard than the current grain mustard crème fraiche. It was a good roast beef sandwich nonetheless. The Roast Chicken Panini ($15) was good too. The filling included huge juicy slices of fresh tomato (not the cheapo Malaysian sort), copious amount of avocado mash, crispy pancetta and salty roast chicken meat. The bread was our favorite among the lot of sandwiches we had, partly because it's a little more pillowy and chewy.
A healthier option is the Smashed Avocado with Ricotta Sourdough ($18). The ricotta is made in house, along with their yogurt as well. It was simply topped with some pomelo and almonds, drizzled with olive oil. I liked the separate components of the dish but it came together rather plainly. A touch of honey could make this a better dish in my opinion but that's just my preference.

Amazing food for bloggers, paltry standards for the rest of us

I never thought that dining at a place could leave me so confused.

I've been reading several good reviews on HGW and on online 'food blogs' about Lokal's food and service, and that nudged me to pop in for brunch. And I came here expecting that I'd be able to taste the "Good food with great service!" promised by others, but I felt as though I'd entered an alternate dimension.

You see, I didn't know that Lokal was an alternate dimension where "good food with great service!" meant that we got dry hard toasties and a staff who was busy attending to a table of what seemed to be food bloggers, and forgetting bout our requests to change our order. While food bloggers got "smooth scrambled egg", us being common beings, we got lumpy clots of egg. "The desserts were served hot" for bloggers' banana bread, sadly ours came cold. and overly sweet.

I could go on about how confused I was over the quality of food we were being served- but hey, what do I know about food reviews, right? Afterall I'm no 'food blogger' with an online voice to use as currency for some decent standard of food and service.

I'm just a regular diner, like the rest of us all.

Disappointment on first visit

Having walked past it often and noticing the crowd, we decided to go for brunch at the Lokal and was disappointed. The food was mediocre; the banana cake was moist yes, but the sauce was too citrus. The avocado ricotta was pathetic with the cheese splattered over the plate with no effort at presentation. To cap it all the toast was burnt!
The staff were more interested in chatting with some regular (I guess) than service.
Wont be back anytime.

The Lokal

Food/Drink N/A | Value 3 | Ambience 3 | Service 3

For full reviews, visit http://www.umakemehungry.com/2016/05/the-lokal.html

You may be mistaken by the German word "Lokal" thinking that it serves more on German Cuisine but in fact the Lokal is an Australia Style Cafe than offers more than just German flavours. Taking the business name, it kind of already suggest that its more on the Local, more like internationally influenced style. They are located at a corner of the intersection of Bukit Pasoh and Neil Road where you can find Goethe Institue nearby. It's quite easy to get here as they are within minutes walk from Outram MRT Station.

Starters was good with 3 ways Cauliflower served on a traditional Chinese metal plate. Cauliflower comes in 3 different forms and beautifully presented. With puree as its base, stacked by leafy greens and cabbages with tumeric infused cauliflowers, fried cauliflowers, as well as Ricotta & almond makes it special. Recommended.

Another starter we had was great and perhaps suitable for those who want a lighter meal instead. Roasted beet roots was juicy and mix with quinoa, green beans, blue cheese & honey walnuts. I'm not really a fan of blue cheese, fortunately, the taste of the blue cheese was not that strong as I would have thought.

Torn between the Braised beef cheek and Cape Grim Sirloin Tagliata, I end up with the latter as per recommended by the server for its popularity. Served on a wooden board with scrumptious beef cubes cover by watercress with Asiago cheese and cheery tomatoes pairing.

The beef were cut into cubes form cooked to the default perfection by the cafe. Simply love its charred exterior and the juicy tender mild bloody meat.