Back to The Lokal136 Neil Road
Hwee says
 • 12 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I usually don't bother posting HGW reviews, but after being bitten twice, I feel that I just had to highlight what they need to work on.

Came once during lunch time and was busy, the food and service were pretty crappy but then I thought that they should be given a chance cos they're new and all. But no, on the second try a week later, their food was still v. disappointing and the servers are so blur! There was a girl standing less than 7 steps from our seat, I had my hand raised to call for water and she was still dreaming away.

Breakfast burger. Sloppy, bland, and meat was tough and overcooked though ironically it came without much crispiness. It wasn't even hot, tasted as though it was deep fried and then just left on the countertop till your order comes in. Bun was dry, too.

Cappuccino. While it was smooth, it had a very strong bitter note on the aftertaste which took a couple of gulps of fruit juice to get rid of. I don't know whether it was meant to be like that styiistically, or it was burnt- if it were the former then a headsup from their servers or on the menu would have been nice.

Toasted banana bread: waaaay too heavy. It was sweet, sticky, and goopy not in a good way. Took no more than 2 bites.

Sticky Date Pudding: This was the most decent dish of the lot, and was sweet and nutty with the decadent taste of date. Though a little on the sweet side, it's still manageable compared to the toasted banana bread.

Smashed avocado, homemade ricotta cheese, pomelo and toasted almonds on sourdough. Taste wise was good- fresh, light, and using good ingredients. But way too expensive at $18 for the small portion.

Overall, this is a hipster cafe-hopping kind of place that looks pretty but doesn't deliver much for those staying around the area. I'm looking for a comfortable regular haunt where I can go for my weekend brunch without feeling like I'm packed uncomfortably into a tin can of hipsters and youngsters. And without feeling ripped off.

Definitely not recommended for families with children- my girls were so irritable cos food took quite a while to serve, and it was generally quite warm and noisy in the cafe.

Breakfast, Brunch