The Tastings Room has closed.

Review for (Closed) The Tastings Room

3.4

EuropeanFrenchItalianWestern
Address: #01-08, Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, 039594
02 Sep 2011
Overall

I bought another hungrydeals voucher!

For full writeup and pics please go to www.thenewadventuresofoldelis.blogspot.com.

I am still sorely lamenting the fact that I rushed from the office to Morton’s Bar at 6.15pm and I failed to get any of the free steak sandwiches. Greedy fellow patrons who grab two or three sandwiches at one go – shame on you.

We were starved after our martinis and needed dinner desperately. Since I had a hungry deal 30% discount voucher, I suggested checking out Tasting Room, located not too far at Marina Square. The place was packed on a Friday but I had called 30 minutes ahead to book and they very nicely showed our group of 6 to a small private dining area. Heh. I feel like a VIP.

The food orders came fast – excellent. A few of us had the duck confit ($23) and it was pretty tasty, albeit dry in some parts. I liked the mash potatoes. Others who had the seared salmon ($23) said it was fresh and well-cooked too. Only the pumpkin risotto ($18) was not well-received.

We couldn’t not try the wines, given that the place was called Tasting Room. Bert suggested trying a Burgundy (atas palate) so we got a lower-price-range bottle of Bouchard Père & Fils Beaune du Château Pinot Noir at $89. Hmmm, nice honeysuckle and chalk nose, soft and easy to drink, but it’s lacking liveliness.

We weren’t too impressed with the first pinot, so for our second bottle we settled for a good value $64 “cannot-fail-us” bottle Kiwi pinot – the Ata Rangi Crimson Pinot Noir 2009. It’s nothing too elegant, just plain vibrant black cherries and plum, but we liked it.

I can’t say the food was fantastic but it was adequate enough for me to log on to hungrydeals again the next day to buy another discount voucher. Will return to try the appetizers and maybe a bottle or two of the other wines.

More reviews of The Tastings Room

Affordable French Dining

I am a regular at this place since I am working close by. They recently revamped their whole menu. Now, they are focused on French cuisine and the most dramatic thing is that they have cut their prices by more than 30% but the food tasted even better than before.

My favourite duck confit used to cost almost $30 here, now it is only $21. They also added some traditional french food like Escargot in their new menu. I talked with the boss and apparently he is changing the concept to make the place more casual instead of the more atas image previously.

All in all, this is good news for both my belly and my pocket. Three Cheers!

Nice Birthday Dinner

I found this place online and decided to try it out with my hubby on his birthday. It was a little hard trying to find the place, as there is some renovations going on at Marina Square. The ambience of the place was a dark industrial chic. With the dim lightings, it was great for a romantice date. They also have tables suitable for couples, families or large groups.

They also have an open concept al fresco area outside just to chill out. For those who love wines, they have a very nice cellar with a comprehensive list of wines starting from $40+ to choose from.

My hubby ordered a the Duck Confit. The grilled crisp tender duck thigh was nicely done with an interesting orange taste. Served with fresh green salad and mash potatoes, they're awesomely fragrant and crispy. I ordered a poached norwegian salmon. A generous slice of salmon, slightly char on the outside, half cooked on the inside. I loved the texture of the salmon. Served together with an interesting herb sauce, it was quite delicious.

And then our favourite was the dessert. Their Earl Grey Creme Brulee. A heavenly creamy eggy sweet lovely dessert that melts in your mouth. Served with some berries compote. This was one the best Creme Brulee EVER! I would come back for this.

The service was great as well. The staff were very prompt and alert for the customers' needs. I would certainly return again on another special occasion.
Overall

Restaurant that doesn't know what it wants to be

This is an eatery that doesn't know if it wants to be a high-end fine dining restaurant or a lower-range eatery.

The high prices on the menu are certainly on par with those of fine dining restaurants - wagyu steak cost $38.90, confit of duck leg costs $29.90, pastas cost $24.90 and even soup costs $9.90, excluding taxes and service charge.

Now, the trouble is, there is nothing else high-end about this place. The eatery has a shabby, run down feel, which is more the surprising given that it supposedly underwent a renovation in November.

The exterior of the eatery is lined with a row of high tables and stools reminiscent of a pub. Open the door and you come face to face with an industrial refrigerator with its contents of assorted bottled drinks and other miscellaneous items for all to see.

If you sit on the inside of the eatery, you see black walls and the bar counter/cashier. It makes you feel you are in an underground war bunker which has been done up to try to disguise the fact that is a war bunker.

The tables on the inside are packed so tightly together, it was claustrophobic.

Tables were also bare and not covered by a table cloth. There was no bread basket like what you expect from a fine dining place.

The aircon was set to arctic.

There was pop music blasting very loudly, which was grating and made conversation hard. The choice is music is questionable too. Which fine dining establishment plays music the likes of teeny bopper girlband M2M?

Service, while not bad, was casual.

The quality of food is variable.

I had foolishly bought two groupons for this eatery and was forced to visit twice to use up my groupons. The first time I went, I ordered a seafood risotto and a squid ink pasta. The risotto had all of four thinly-sliced squid rings and four prawns in it. While it was edible, it was certainly not gourmet food. I'm sure authentic risotto does not contain the amount of cream I found in my dish.

The squid ink pasta came with a generous serving of five squid rings and a sliver of one cherry tomato. The pasta had no taste of squid ink at all. Instead, it had, like the seafood risotto, a cloying taste of cream.

The second time I went, I ordered a chicken leg with mashed potato (or pomme puree, the pompous menu informed me), which to my grudging surprise, tasted quite good. The chicken was tender, the skin was crisp and the mashed potato carried a heady fragrance of truffle. But the price, the price! ($26.90)

For the kind of prices you find here, you can dine at many genuine fine dining restaurants that will seat you at a table covered with table cloth, hire professional wait staff to serve you, offer a bread basket and play soft soothing music.

Not recommended.

Delicious Duck Confit & Wagyu Steak

Was catching a movie with my date in Marina Square so decided to look for a place around the area with a nice ambience. Saw this interesting glass display which pointed to this restaurant called The Tastings Room. It was slightly hard to find with all the renovation going on, and they were completely blocked by the facade work but my date like the ambience inside and it serve my favourite duck confit so we decided to gave it a try. Since there was 2 of us, we decided to order a main course and a glass of wine each since they were also having 1-For-1 promotion on their house wines. We decided on the duck confit and the wagyu steak for our mains. The duck confit was cooked perfectly, moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. The meat was literally falling off the bones. Paired with the orange sauce and poached pear, it was a nice mix of flavours. The wagyu steak was also exceptional. The burst of flavours when you bite into the steak, I had wagyu steak for double or triple the price and this was as good as those! Served with truffle fries, it was one of the most satisfying steak I have had for a long time. Pity the renovation work that is going on. With food so good, more people should know about them!

Wonderful Christmas Dinner

My wife suggested Tasting Room for our Christmas dinner as she saw they were having a value for money 4-course festive menu. On Christmas eve they were packed to the brim, but nevertheless, service was prompt and efficient. The starters was served shortly. It was a cold angel hair pasta tossed with spring onions and topped with caviar. We promptly finished it within seconds and was hoping for more. Next up was the white onion soup. This was clearly slowly cooked with alot of onions and the sweetness of the onions was so appetising and the slight tasted of parmasan added to the umami flavours. We both have the wagyu beef as main course to get the maximum value for money and it did not disappoint. Most of the roasted beef we have tried was dry and mushy, this was on a completely different level altogether. It was flavourful and moist and with the red wine sauce, it was heavenly! We ended dinner with the black forest cake. The marinated cherry has a strong taste of kirsch which I loved and the cake was moist and topped with good quality chocolate shavings. All in all, one of the best christmas dinner I had in a long time. Will definitely be back to try their ala carte menu some other time.