Review for The White Rabbit

EuropeanWestern
Address: 39C Harding Road, 249541
07 Apr 2014
Overall

Enjoy the web site, skip the restaurant!

We went back to try our luck again...should have learned the first time. We tried the fixed price menu. Beware - its not at all fixed price. They weave lots of little extras in. The food was average - only to be outdone by the absolute lack of substance. If you want to go home hungry, pay top dollar for so-so food - then this is the place for you.
It was interesting to watch the wait staff - wired up with two way radio - then to see them pass the buck to one another(by radio of course) rather than simply attending to the guests and acting directly on the request. The system high tech system took almost 20 minutes to deliver the first drinks to the table. A little less high tech and a little more old fashion service would be nice...especially at the kind of prices they are charging.
As they say, diner beware!

More reviews of The White Rabbit

Great desserts and ambience

Located in Demsey is the White Rabbit. It has a rather decent sized parking lot which is free of charge for customers. The White Rabbit is more of an upscale fine dining place you would take someone to celebrate a special meal with. It is also a beautifully restored 1930s Ebenezer chapel!

The White Rabbit resides in a restored old chapel along the stretch of Dempsey Hill. The historical establishment itself is very captivating in creating a unique 'Alice in Wonderland' concept of The White Rabbit, attempting to bring you to another world. There's a very cute outdoor dining area lined with lounge chairs. The staff explained that they were setting up a wedding the next door. I can definitely see this place being used for weddings.
 I am glad that they managed to preserve the stained glass from when this was a place of worship. The atmosphere in the chapel was peaceful and romantic with ceiling lights as well very powerful air conditioning systems. So much so, that they staff offered us ladies, scarves or even warm water instead of cold water.

1. Truffle Mac and Cheese with mushrooms $16++
 Though this is an appetizer portion. It had alot of mac and cheese and thus, became very filling quickly. The amount of truffle added to the mac and cheese was very significant and you could smell and taste it. They were generous with the mushrooms as well! The texture of the cheese was warm enough to enjoy and yet stick all the macaroni together.
 There was also bread service. I picked tomato basil bread, and since the bread is all freshly baked in house. The bread was piping hot and extremely crisp to begin with. The provided butter melted immediately once I applied it into the bread.

2. Deconstructed Cheese Cake $18++
 This was an interesting dessert. The wait staff asked me to mix up everything on the plate as there was graham crumble, blueberry sorbet and pop rocks all layered one on top of the other. The cream cheese wasn't too sweet or sour. The pop rock popped in your mouth in every mouthful. It was definitely a surprise for me. I enjoyed that the graham crackers were crumbles instead of a hard crust, that you would find in any typical cheesecake. This way, you could enjoy the graham crackers bit by bit.

3. Chocolate Fondant $16++
 The chocolate fondant consisted of a caramel core lava cake with fruits and banana and rum ice cream. The lava cake wasn't moist on the exterior, but rather it was bread crust like. On the inside, was a small pocket of caramel that flowed out like liquid gold! The banana and rum ice cream was full of creamy goodness. I guess to compliment all the sweet stuff, all the fruits provided were sour?

All in all, a very beautiful place to spend time with your loved ones. The food and the ambience are both top notch!
Overall

Check out my review here!

For more photos and full review, please view:

Lovely weekend brunch

The place looks absolutely beautiful in the afternoon. We ordered the white rabbit fry up (okay), mac n cheese with truffle (heavenly!), crepe suzette (quite nice) and the lattes (decent). We had to wait about 20 mins for our crepe suzette though,  which was made right in front of your table. Would love to go back again to try the other dishes.
 Cons: Expensive, and the place is quite inaccessible if you don't have private transport.

Great Value Set Lunch

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/09/30/good-value-set-lunch-the-white-rabbit-on-30sep2015/

had lunch today with a long time business associate/friend at the white rabbit at harding road, dempsey on 30.9.2015. ^^

this the first time i dined at the white rabbit. there is free parking & the ambience is nice. the restaurant occupied a nicely refurbished old chapel, bright & airy with high ceiling/columns & stained glass windows.

there is a ongoing uob 1 for 1 set lunch promotion till 31oct2015 (tues to fri).

the set lunch menu included the famous dishes like wagyu carpaccio, seared scallops, alaskan king crab tagliatelle, 60hr mangalica pork belly, 36hr short ribs etc.

we had a complimentary roll & butter to start. quite good. restaurant offered additional bread but we declined.

i had the wagyu carpaccio. it was very good, one of the better ones (or best) i had.

there was shaved parmesan & truffle cream, nice truffle fragrance, sweet, great texture.

my friend had the seared bay scallops.

it looked great & he said it was good.

friend also had the alaskan king crab tagliatelle.

i tried a little. pasta was perfect al dente of course. excellent flavours, nice crab sweetness with a bit of bisque veloute, not creamy. i liked the pasta.

i had the 60hrs pork belly. read one of the reviews about this special mangalica pork. for myself i don’t think it was naywhere near a good kurobuta in terms of the flavours & marbling.

pork was very tender from the slow braise, and the skin was crispy (but if it’s only about crispy skin i would prefer the chinese crackling roast pork over this anytime).

the pork overall quite nice though i not much into the white beans & miso broth. i made a tender tasty slow-braised miso belly pork myself so this dish not so wow for me.

friend had the chocolate fondant. came with macaron & ice cream.

i did not try it. friend said it was good. will try next time the molten caramel.

i had the lemon meringue tart.

also pretty ok, nothing special. but for the uob 1 for 1 promotion, the price difference between 2-course & 3-course was only S$2, so i took the dessert.

Overall

A perfect place for weekend brunch

For the full post and picture visit toseetofeeltoeat

I had a cup of Flat White ($8) and the White Rabbit Fry Up ($26). Pretty latte art with pretty decent coffee.

The White Rabbit Fry Up ($26) came with eggs of any style (I chose poached of course), thick cut smoked bacon, pork sausage, grilled portobello mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, toast and greens. This was so good. The poached eggs were perfect and I am so in love with the thick cut bacon! Portions are huge and worth the price. I cannot stand cafes which charge $20+ for a miserable serving of pathetic food. The White Rabbit Fry Up was definitely hearty and happy!

After we finished our food, we headed outdoors and were so impressed by the well manicured lawn, and the set of black and white high stools, bar and deck chairs. Seriously, everything looked so pretty and... foreign. I felt like I ran into a country house somewhere far far away (although, of course, the weather and mosquitoes made me fully aware that hey, I'm in sunny tropical Singapore. Stop dreaming!).