fish head curry5 votes

Take Away3 votes

Koti01
 • 26 Jul 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
After arriving for a late dinner, my partner and I were seated, and had only just begun to look at the menu when we were interrupted 3 times by waiters asking for our order. We ordered, and the food arrived in about 3 minutes. Not surprisingly, it was food that had clearly been sitting in the kitchen for some time. The garlic naan was dry, and the tandoori roti tasteless. The chicken korma was just a mash of cream with little spice or flavour, and the mysore mutton was dry as a bone and a tiny portion.

Worst part though, as soon as our meals arrived, we were told the kitchen was closed so no more orders. However, it was not just the kitchen that was closing, it was the restaurant. The staff promptly walked to each table and put down the check. We received ours despite just receiving our food, and had also just started drinking our jug of beer. The waiters then came past several times to check if the bill had been paid, starting switching off lights and piling up chairs behind my partner.

A waiter then came over to demand that we pay the bill, to which we replied we hadn't even finished our meal or drinks. He demanded again "Just pay it". That was when I decided it was high time to leave. We left our food and drinks, and I took the bill to the counter and advised that I wouldn't be paying for the entire jug, just 2 glasses. They did not want to do the discount but could tell we were horrified by the service so complied.

I can completely understand if a restaurant is closing up and they tell you at the start. But this place go us no warning, took our orders, gave us dry old food, and then demanded we pay before even getting a chance to eat our meal.

Digustingly rude and we will never return. The food was awful so it's no loss.

• 11 Jul 2014 313 reviews 86 followers
Overall
So far, being a local, I seldom go to this place.  Even I do, most of the time with overseas friends.  It is quite budget to them, who are able to taste Indian food at here.

I don't mind accompany them, as I finds the food at here are quite tasty as well.  The only problem when the business is expanding, the staff or boss totally ignore your presence.

Must tries: naan, Manggo Lassi, Tikka Masala, Masala Chicken

Dinner

Caleb Lim
 • 19 Mar 2014 243 reviews 39 followers
Overall
Dining with toddlers and young children can very challenging cause u are juggling so many things like: keeping the kids behaved decently, ensuring they eat enough …… on top of what you normally try to do on a regular dinner: secure a comfortable table, choose the right dishes,  try to have some conversation with your spouse. On that basis I had an excellent family dinner out at Banana Leaf Apolo.

My strategy for the kids at Indian restaurants is to order naan for them as they don’t take spicy food. I also ordered some vegetable fritters made from chick pea flour which they took some. So my toddler and young children were happily using their fingers to tear the naan to smaller pieces with their hands and using their jaws to work their way through the freshly made & chewy naan. Oh, they also loved the papadam. I think my kids loved that fact that Indian food means eating with hands.

Only when the kids are settled, can the adults enjoy the meal. The large fish head curry is really huge and after 3 adult have their fair share, the tapau portion was able to feed another 2 adults. Compared to Muthu’s curry fish head, the Apolo version did not induce as much perspiration as it is less fiery and the spice blend is a bit … how would I say…… less spot-on compared to Muthu’s which I remembered really exploded the right signals on my taste buds. It was still good and the fish is fresh. We also had the chicken marsala which was delicious and the best I had so far.

The staff are friendly, responsive and the service is very fast. Baby chair is set up prompt upon request. So a peaceful and satisfying meal for 3 adults and 3 kids for about $60 (after the UOB promo) is what I call a great dinner experience.