Review for The Banana Leaf Apolo (Race Course Road)

3.1

AsianIndianNorth IndianSouth Indian
Address: 56 Race Course Road, 218564
31 Dec 2013

Found it dissapointing!

Food is too spicy and the service is also very ordinary.

Would not go there again.

Maybe some like it for the unlimited quantity of rice or pappadam they can get?? or for the fish head curry??.....................

More reviews of The Banana Leaf Apolo

Good for groups

Went here in a group of 7, and we all had a good time. The Masala chicken was a tad too spicy for my taste, and we had to chase a few times for drinks, but service was friendly. I definitely recommend going in a large group, as you can try a wider variety of items. The tables are long though, so conversation can be difficult.

Past its glory days

I used to be a regular here. Then some of the waiters changed; and so did the chefs. This is evident once you're seated: you don't have your order immediately ready now, then the wait is a compulsory 15-20 min one. The waiter won't bother coming by or will ignore. The fish head has gotten smaller over the years (no doubt the big fish have dwindled in supply). The other meat manages to surprise me every time (either very good or very bad). Seems like the day of the week and the time of the day do matter now. What was once my favourite restaurant seems like it's now the haunt of tourists who are ill informed.

Avoid: Overpriced Low-Quality Food and Service

The food used to be good, but not anymore. I've eaten here 10+ times, but this was my last:

- People were seated directly next to us on our table without checking with us first.
- The butter chicken arrived with only a few pieces of chicken (looked like soup) and we had to ask repeatedly to have a full dish sent to us.
- The naan was hot but not fresh.
- The palak paneer was cold when it arrived. By that point we didn't even bother sending it back.
- We were charged more for the briyani than we were expected. We ordered the "$8 briyani" (usually restaurants in Singapore list the sizes of dishes by price). It was $15 on the bill. When I asked the staff about it, they rudely dismissed my question.

Overpriced and bad service, you can find many better places for South Indian food nearby.

Notice that most of the good reviews for this restaurant come from 2+ years ago.

Food wastage & rude staff

Went alone due to Indian food craving, over ordered coz I was starving, When the guy was serving me the Briyani rice, I was on the phone and hence he put too much rice on the plate. So I asked one of the staff to take away the leftover rice and other dishes. He just refused to take a way the rice, no reasons given. Told them if you're just going to throw if away, thats very wastefull, just put in in a plastic bag like all the other dishes and he just said no and rather rudely. Basically its the rudeness that turned me off.
Overall

Terrible service plain food and terrible expensive prices

Not recommended at all