The Banana Leaf Apolo (Race Course Road)

Summary

fish head curry, naan, Butter Chicken, Manggo Lassi, Masala Chicken, papadum, (free) papadam, Tikka Masala, Fish Cutlets, Fish Tikka, Masala crab, Masala prawns, Naans and rice, curry, nasi briyani, palak paneer View all
Dinner, Vibrant/Noisy, Lunch, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, After Work, Ala Carte, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, People Watching, Vegetarians, Large Groups, Take Away View all

friendly service, good food, great family meal

Dining with toddlers and young children can very challenging cause u are juggling so many things like: keeping the kids behaved decently, ensuring they eat enough …… on top of what you normally try to do on a regular dinner: secure a comfortable table, choose the right dishes,  try to have some conversation with your spouse. On that basis I had an excellent family dinner out at Banana Leaf Apolo.
My strategy for the kids at Indian restaurants is to order naan for them as they don’t take spicy food. I also ordered some vegetable fritters made from chick pea flour which they took some. So my toddler and young children were happily using their fingers to tear the naan to smaller pieces with their hands and using their jaws to work their way through the freshly made & chewy naan. Oh, they also loved the papadam. I think my kids loved that fact that Indian food means eating with hands.
Only when the kids are settled, can the adults enjoy the meal. The large fish head curry is really huge and after 3 adult have their fair share, the tapau portion was able to feed another 2 adults. Compared to Muthu’s curry fish head, the Apolo version did not induce as much perspiration as it is less fiery and the spice blend is a bit … how would I say…… less spot-on compared to Muthu’s which I remembered really exploded the right signals on my taste buds. It was still good and the fish is fresh. We also had the chicken marsala which was delicious and the best I had so far.

The staff are friendly, responsive and the service is very fast. Baby chair is set up prompt upon request. So a peaceful and satisfying meal for 3 adults and 3 kids for about $60 (after the UOB promo) is what I call a great dinner experience.

Most helpful reviews for The Banana Leaf Apolo (Race Course Road)

Butter me up.

If I had to

turn to anyone place to ease my cravings for Indian food, it would be at Banana

Leaf Apollo. Despite it’s simple décor and setup a kin to a canteen of sorts.

The presence of many local Indians dining in gave a silent reassurance.

We were

quick to order despite the extensive list of dishes and grills on the menu.

After a quick perusal, we settled on the mutton hyderbad ( $11), the butter

chicken ($11) and the Palak Paneer ($8) to share. Alongside, we ordered a lime

juice ( $2.50) and a peach lassi ( $4.50), the former in the hope of battling

the spicy dishes and the latter to sweeten the deal. Our dishes were quickly

served up. And as they sat on the table picking up the cold winds from the

surrounding air conditioning; along scuttled a waiter with 3 metal tins cans of

condiments or side dishes and a whole basket of briyani rice. Word of advice:

Take your fill of cabbage as the waiters will usually be too busy to come by

for a refill later in the meal. And trust me, with that amazing texture and

subtle spices thrown into the mix, it was amazing with the fragrant yellow dyed

rice.

The mutton

hyderbad was just okay. Flavors of coconut and tamarind were strongly present

throughout the dish, my only gripe would be the use of mutton with loads of

tendons in place of slow braised mutton chunks. Pardon my lack of knowledge of

Indian food, but I would much prefer having tinier chunks of meat than having

the tedious experience of separating tendon from meat with every mouth. The

butter chicken fared much butter, but could have used a more generous ladling

of butter into the mixture as the tomato paste overruled all with it’s tangy

and slightly acidic flavors. The highlight of the meal would definitely have to

be the palak paneer, Spinach with cottage cheese, cooked to a consistency of

baby food. My dining companion was so fond of this dish that he reminisces the

experience and associates the whole meal only based on this dish the whole

time!

Next time

around, I’m bent on having the fish head curry.

P.S. watch

our for the diabetic inducing lassi… *sniggers*

Done there for lunch lately and

Though food was fine, it's way overpriced. Staff is very dishonest and slipshot. Reason? Wanted to order the 3.50 Vegetarian Briyani with veggies. Twice I was rejected, saying it's basic rice. I said yes, I would like this. Again he reinterated they won't sell it, recommended me those $10+ meat dishes. I told them I'm on Vegetarian! and diverted me to the $8 vegetarian meal instead. And once I ordered that they forced the $8+ meal on me more than once.
Their drinks are way way way overpriced. $4 -8 for drinks. Their Briyani nothing to shout bout. Anyone tried Anatolia Briyani would kick this out of the drain.
 I'm from the office nearby, so who would want pay such extravagant for lunch?
 Today I brought my friend there, 2 people, they forced us to share the curries, and few of the curries did not arrive at all!!!! Have to ask them a couple of times, and the staffs wasn't too eager to serve.
 Seriously this place needs a boycott for them to wake up.

Past its glory days

I used to be a regular here. Then some of the waiters changed; and so did the chefs. This is evident once you're seated: you don't have your order immediately ready now, then the wait is a compulsory 15-20 min one. The waiter won't bother coming by or will ignore. The fish head has gotten smaller over the years (no doubt the big fish have dwindled in supply). The other meat manages to surprise me every time (either very good or very bad). Seems like the day of the week and the time of the day do matter now. What was once my favourite restaurant seems like it's now the haunt of tourists who are ill informed.

Avoid: Overpriced Low-Quality Food and Service

The food used to be good, but not anymore. I've eaten here 10+ times, but this was my last:

- People were seated directly next to us on our table without checking with us first.
- The butter chicken arrived with only a few pieces of chicken (looked like soup) and we had to ask repeatedly to have a full dish sent to us.
- The naan was hot but not fresh.
- The palak paneer was cold when it arrived. By that point we didn't even bother sending it back.
- We were charged more for the briyani than we were expected. We ordered the "$8 briyani" (usually restaurants in Singapore list the sizes of dishes by price). It was $15 on the bill. When I asked the staff about it, they rudely dismissed my question.

Overpriced and bad service, you can find many better places for South Indian food nearby.

Notice that most of the good reviews for this restaurant come from 2+ years ago.

Food wastage & rude staff

Went alone due to Indian food craving, over ordered coz I was starving, When the guy was serving me the Briyani rice, I was on the phone and hence he put too much rice on the plate. So I asked one of the staff to take away the leftover rice and other dishes. He just refused to take a way the rice, no reasons given. Told them if you're just going to throw if away, thats very wastefull, just put in in a plastic bag like all the other dishes and he just said no and rather rudely. Basically its the rudeness that turned me off.