Review for The Banana Leaf Apolo (Race Course Road)

3.1

AsianIndianNorth IndianSouth Indian
Address: 56 Race Course Road, 218564
19 Mar 2014
Overall

friendly service, good food, great family meal

Dining with toddlers and young children can very challenging cause u are juggling so many things like: keeping the kids behaved decently, ensuring they eat enough …… on top of what you normally try to do on a regular dinner: secure a comfortable table, choose the right dishes,  try to have some conversation with your spouse. On that basis I had an excellent family dinner out at Banana Leaf Apolo.
My strategy for the kids at Indian restaurants is to order naan for them as they don’t take spicy food. I also ordered some vegetable fritters made from chick pea flour which they took some. So my toddler and young children were happily using their fingers to tear the naan to smaller pieces with their hands and using their jaws to work their way through the freshly made & chewy naan. Oh, they also loved the papadam. I think my kids loved that fact that Indian food means eating with hands.
Only when the kids are settled, can the adults enjoy the meal. The large fish head curry is really huge and after 3 adult have their fair share, the tapau portion was able to feed another 2 adults. Compared to Muthu’s curry fish head, the Apolo version did not induce as much perspiration as it is less fiery and the spice blend is a bit … how would I say…… less spot-on compared to Muthu’s which I remembered really exploded the right signals on my taste buds. It was still good and the fish is fresh. We also had the chicken marsala which was delicious and the best I had so far.

The staff are friendly, responsive and the service is very fast. Baby chair is set up prompt upon request. So a peaceful and satisfying meal for 3 adults and 3 kids for about $60 (after the UOB promo) is what I call a great dinner experience.

More reviews of The Banana Leaf Apolo

Good for groups

Went here in a group of 7, and we all had a good time. The Masala chicken was a tad too spicy for my taste, and we had to chase a few times for drinks, but service was friendly. I definitely recommend going in a large group, as you can try a wider variety of items. The tables are long though, so conversation can be difficult.

Past its glory days

I used to be a regular here. Then some of the waiters changed; and so did the chefs. This is evident once you're seated: you don't have your order immediately ready now, then the wait is a compulsory 15-20 min one. The waiter won't bother coming by or will ignore. The fish head has gotten smaller over the years (no doubt the big fish have dwindled in supply). The other meat manages to surprise me every time (either very good or very bad). Seems like the day of the week and the time of the day do matter now. What was once my favourite restaurant seems like it's now the haunt of tourists who are ill informed.

Avoid: Overpriced Low-Quality Food and Service

The food used to be good, but not anymore. I've eaten here 10+ times, but this was my last:

- People were seated directly next to us on our table without checking with us first.
- The butter chicken arrived with only a few pieces of chicken (looked like soup) and we had to ask repeatedly to have a full dish sent to us.
- The naan was hot but not fresh.
- The palak paneer was cold when it arrived. By that point we didn't even bother sending it back.
- We were charged more for the briyani than we were expected. We ordered the "$8 briyani" (usually restaurants in Singapore list the sizes of dishes by price). It was $15 on the bill. When I asked the staff about it, they rudely dismissed my question.

Overpriced and bad service, you can find many better places for South Indian food nearby.

Notice that most of the good reviews for this restaurant come from 2+ years ago.

Food wastage & rude staff

Went alone due to Indian food craving, over ordered coz I was starving, When the guy was serving me the Briyani rice, I was on the phone and hence he put too much rice on the plate. So I asked one of the staff to take away the leftover rice and other dishes. He just refused to take a way the rice, no reasons given. Told them if you're just going to throw if away, thats very wastefull, just put in in a plastic bag like all the other dishes and he just said no and rather rudely. Basically its the rudeness that turned me off.
Overall

Terrible service plain food and terrible expensive prices

Not recommended at all