Review for The Basil Inn (Downtown East)

3.3

AsianIndochineseThai
Address: #01-21, Downtown East, 1 Pasir Ris Close, 519599
29 Aug 2012
Overall

people found this review useful Was it useful to you?Yes

More reviews of The Basil Inn

Best Thai food I've had in SG

I am a big fan of Thai cuisine and have to say that the food here is as authentic as it gets in Singapore - even the vendors at Golden Mile Complex are no competition to them. The chefs are Thai and all the items on the menu I have tried so far have been very appetising and always tastes fresh.

I would recommend the tom yum soup and yum woon sen (glass noodle salad), although both are very spicy and not for the faint hearted. But if you are a spicy food lover like myself, you would love these!

Only thing that is not too good is the waiting time - eat here only if you don't mind waiting! It always takes a long time (up to 30 minutes sometimes) before the food is served. Also prefer the previous location near the chalet before the restaurant relocated to the indoor area - the casual outdoor atmosphere was nice and reminded me of dining out in Bangkok!

Bad Customer Skills & beware of their payment policies

Although i have regularly dined at this place, I would like to warn others of possible situation u would be in because of their payment policies. We placed an order totaling approx $56.40 and paid with 2 $50 notes. We got back about $40 change. Less than 1minute later, the lady boss claimed that we only gave her 1 $50 and 1 $10 note and asked us to return the change claiming that we might have forgotten. She then went around asking almost everyone who passed her $50. We told her to check her cashier CCTV camera to verify, but she claimed there was no camera. She started to raise her voice at us. There was a complete lack of customer service and only showed her greed for money! We then decided to leave as we had a young kid and there's no point arguing with someone who is just after money. There was no apology and did not even give us the benefit of doubt. Very suspicious that this place does not have a camera at their cashier's counter, only accepts cash and insist on pre-payments. Never again back to this place!!

Bad attitude in service

As a past customer of Basil Inn,last night, we decided to try at its new location, my bf and I were standing at the entrance as there was a signage: "please wait to be seated". It was crowded, but there were empty tables, we waited patiently for 10mins at the entrance, in this 10 mins, I made eye contact with one lady, signaling that I need a table for 2, she obviously saw me but she fail to acknowledge me. Next I signal to another guy, he acknowledge but carry with his own stuff and we get attention w the same guy again, yet he did nothing.we would really appreciate if someone acknowledge us, tell us they are busy, and get back to us later. But no minimum level Of service were rendered.
Feeling disappointed, angry and hungry, we left.

done. Disappointed and we left.

my favourite thai restaurant

The food is as authentic as it can get and prices are reasonable. Each meat dish costs between, 6-8$ while the prawn dishes are about 12_14$. The steamed fish we had was humingous with the fire stove being barely able to contain it costs $30 and it took 6 of us grown men to finish it albeit we had 7 other items on the table. Everyone of the dishes we ordered did not disappoint our extremely high expectations and we will definitely be recommending this bustling place to true foodies who don't mind the wait for a truly delicious and satisfying meal. Definitely way cheaper than what local zhi char stalls are charging/ripping off these days.
Overall

Poor value for money and rude service.

Too expensive for quality that you can get better at a normal food court. You also have to endure rude service depending on who is serving you. There are plenty of eating places at downtown east. Pick anyone of them except this.