Summary

Service3
Honey chicken, Pad Krapow Moo, green curry chicken., kangkung, Pla neung Manow (Steamed seabass with lemon/garlic/spicy sauce), basil chicken all signature dishes, tom yum clear seafood, Olive rice, Tom Yum Chicken CLEAR, Coconut Ice Cream, Fried kangkong, Krapow, Pla Neung manow (steamed seabass in lime, Pork Krapow, Sitting at the largest table, Tom Saap Moo, Tom Yam Fried Rice, Tom Yum, Tom Yum Talay, Tom Yum related (soup, Tom yum goong, Yum Mamuang, Yum Woon Sen (Glass Noodle Salad), Yum woon sen, basil chicken and all signature dishes, black pepper crab, coriander sauce, coriander sauce), garlic, green curry, green curry chicken, laab kai (northern chicken salad), mango glutinous rice, noodle). Also sweet basil pork is really good, pineapple rice, steamed lemon garlic seabass, tanghoon prawn, tom yum clear View all
Dinner, Lunch, Cheap Eat/Budget, Children/Family, After Work, Hidden Find, Take Away, Vibrant/Noisy, People Watching, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering, Chillout, Supper View all

people found this review useful

Most helpful reviews for The Basil Inn (Downtown East)

my favourite thai restaurant

The food is as authentic as it can get and prices are reasonable. Each meat dish costs between, 6-8$ while the prawn dishes are about 12_14$. The steamed fish we had was humingous with the fire stove being barely able to contain it costs $30 and it took 6 of us grown men to finish it albeit we had 7 other items on the table. Everyone of the dishes we ordered did not disappoint our extremely high expectations and we will definitely be recommending this bustling place to true foodies who don't mind the wait for a truly delicious and satisfying meal. Definitely way cheaper than what local zhi char stalls are charging/ripping off these days.

Food Suck.. Don't get Conned!!

Being there last night after reading so many good comments.
The environment appeared not very good and place was dirty. Attended by very rude foreigners with sour face.
Introduce by the lady boss of their signature dishes, tom yam kung, sambal kang kong, steamed fish. She said the fried prawn fritter also is a must try dish.
Thus we ordered since so many good reviews.
The prawn miserably only less than 5 pcs and the price they charge is very high. The prawns are totally not fresh with the heads going off and have a strong smell. We left that aside.
The Tom Yum Kung that came only miserable few pcs of tiny seafood. Few of us get stomach upset till now!!
The fish is small but $38 per fish. Covered with lots of chilli and veggie topping. Hardly shared among 4 of us.
Overall, I think this place is totally over rated. The food are not only terrible and the price tag are very high dining in such kind of environment which is not worth the spending.I do not know the reasons but I will definitely not come again!!

Best Thai food I've ever tasted, even compared to BKK.

I visit BKK regularly and none of the eateries in BKK actually beat this place in terms of taste.

Dishes are good and authentic, not mellowed down like some of the Thai restaurants in Singapore. Food portions consider small, but hey, the prices are cheap. We can't expect a bowl of green curry to be shared by 4 person when the price is only $7, right? In fact, I was elated to know that the Phad Thai only cost $6 nett per plate and it tasted great. I have personally tried the Phad Thai in other places costing more than $10 per plate and they tasted nasty.

Service wise, it's considered very good in my opinion as there isn't any service charge. It's like I don't expect to be treated like a VIP when I don't even pay a single cent for the service. The servers are friendly towards me and that's good enough for me. But of course, I only gave 3 stars because the wait for the food is a bit too long.

Ambience is ok as I don't really care about my surroundings, just like how I eat by the roadside in BKK. What I care about is the food quality and if it satisfy my tastebuds.

Overall, I highly recommand this restaurant to people who truely love Thai cuisine and actually understand what Thai food is all about.

*Try not to go on weekends to avoid the crowd.

Best Thai food I've had in SG

I am a big fan of Thai cuisine and have to say that the food here is as authentic as it gets in Singapore - even the vendors at Golden Mile Complex are no competition to them. The chefs are Thai and all the items on the menu I have tried so far have been very appetising and always tastes fresh.

I would recommend the tom yum soup and yum woon sen (glass noodle salad), although both are very spicy and not for the faint hearted. But if you are a spicy food lover like myself, you would love these!

Only thing that is not too good is the waiting time - eat here only if you don't mind waiting! It always takes a long time (up to 30 minutes sometimes) before the food is served. Also prefer the previous location near the chalet before the restaurant relocated to the indoor area - the casual outdoor atmosphere was nice and reminded me of dining out in Bangkok!

Bad Customer Skills & beware of their payment policies

Although i have regularly dined at this place, I would like to warn others of possible situation u would be in because of their payment policies. We placed an order totaling approx $56.40 and paid with 2 $50 notes. We got back about $40 change. Less than 1minute later, the lady boss claimed that we only gave her 1 $50 and 1 $10 note and asked us to return the change claiming that we might have forgotten. She then went around asking almost everyone who passed her $50. We told her to check her cashier CCTV camera to verify, but she claimed there was no camera. She started to raise her voice at us. There was a complete lack of customer service and only showed her greed for money! We then decided to leave as we had a young kid and there's no point arguing with someone who is just after money. There was no apology and did not even give us the benefit of doubt. Very suspicious that this place does not have a camera at their cashier's counter, only accepts cash and insist on pre-payments. Never again back to this place!!