Reviews for The Magic Of Chongqing Hot Pot

AsianChineseLocalSichuanSingaporean
thywhaleliciousfay

Comfort food with good service

Reservation was made for a weekday evening as I last remembered The Magic of CQ was always packed. So I was a little surprised to see a few empty tables upon our arrival and through our dinner. But nonetheless, I am always happy to know restaurants are still in operation after all these years.

Upon seated, what happened next took place really fast. Before we warmed our seats, the staff came over and asked for our selection of soups. Since we knew at least 1 of the soups has to be spicy, we were quick in going with ma-la tang. And while debating over our choice for the second soup, the staff mentioned there’s also a shark’s bone cartilage soup on top of their menu’s ‘old faithful chicken broth’ and ‘preserved sour vegetable in chicken broth’. And hence we decided to go with that.

Once the first staff left after taking our order for soup and drinks, a second staff came and said she’ll start us with some dishes. I guess the staff assumed everyone was here for their buffet. But having been here and being too hungry to compare the a-la carte and buffet menus, we nodded our heads and let them took charge.

And with that, we started our buffet dinner priced at $34.90 per adult (weekday) with:-

1) Soups – We went with ma-la tang and shark’s bone soup. We topped up additional $20 for the latter which had the staff putting in 2 balls of the goodness into the soup. I will definitely recommend the shark’s bone soup. The soup was rich, flavorful and sweet.

2) One standard serving – Part of the buffet menu, we were each given one standard serving of handmade pork ball, fish golden nugget, handmade fish noodle sausage and crispy spring roll at the start of our dinner.

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

When it comes to steamboat, the few things which I look out for are the quality of food (freshness), the dipping sauce and if the place is air-conditioned (Need not be very cold though). I prefer eating in comfort lah. So The Magic of Chongqinghas met all my requirements, as with previous visits. And service was great. Besides designating staff to allocated tables to make sure customers’ needs were taken care of, they also have a system where additional staff would go on their regular rounds in topping up our soup and tea. And while talking to staff, they learnt that we preferred our ma-la tang to be spicier. And they immediately offered to up the spiciness level. However, since we were halfway through our dinner, we turned them down. But it was a great gesture nonetheless. So yes, I will recommend The Magic of Chongqing!

----------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
16 Oct 2014 • 147 reviews • 6 followers

Comfort food with good service

----------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
12 Jul 2014 • 316 reviews • 86 followers

Many years in location

It's still popular at this quiet area of shopping mall.  The steamboat standard still maintain at its delectable grade.  And the dessert & side dish orders are yummy after the spicy meal.  The spicy soup base still can cause my lips to turn sauage after eating.
04 Apr 2014 • 296 reviews • 14 followers

Steamboat buffet with rich hearty stock

Here is the undisputed mother of steamboat buffet restaurants: The Magic of Chongqing Hotpot has been around for 20 years, and it keeps its customers coming back for its rich chicken stock soup base. Other unique soup bases offered are the mala chilli (you can tell the staff how spicy you want it), herbal chicken, herbal turtle broth and a vegetarian stock with preserved vegetables.There is an unlimited supply of fresh ingredients such as thinly-sliced beef, sliced pork, fish paste, carp fillet, fresh prawns, beancurd, green vegetables, varieties of mushrooms and four dipping sauces to choose from. Wash all this down with a cup of fragrant (and digestion-aiding) eight treasures tea.