Back to Marmalade Pantry in the City#03-22, ION Orchard, 2 Orchard...

Sticky Date Pudding10 votes

Supper4 votes

Qi Sheng Ong
 • 24 Aug 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Visited this place to get some cupcakes to go.

1. My wife and I were waiting right at the entrance where one of the service staff (guy in specs) started arranging a stack of menus. I can't fathom how the stack of menus is more important than customers obviously waiting to be served. And what's more,  after arranging the menus for like 2 minutes, he hurried off without paying any attention to us. We had to get attention of another staff.

2. All right,  so maybe we are getting takeaway, so no service charge that's why we can't expect service. Right? Wrong. We were charged service charge for takeaway. First time I encountered this. What kind of service are we getting actually? I found out when I go home.

3. So we finally got our cupcakes and got home. When we opened up the deceivingly pretty little box, what greeted us was a strand of hair on one of the cupcake. Oh.. so the service charge is for a hairy cupcake. Now I got it.

So you can guess when we will be heading back to Marmalade Pantry again - As long as I can take to forget about hairy cupcakes.

Must tries: hairy cupcakes

runningman
 • 14 Aug 2014 296 reviews 52 followers
Overall
Full The Marmalade Pantry review here: http://ivanteh-runningman.blogspot.sg/2014/08/the-marmalade-pantry.html

The Marmalade Pantry first opened its city outlet in 2009, enticing diners with its 'modernist larder' concept, which promises fresh, healthy and tasty food that is prepared quickly. Drawing rave reviews, especially for their creative and pretty cupcakes, pastries and cakes, I was left feeling confused when I experienced poor food and poor service at The Marmalade Pantry during a recent visit... perhaps it was a bad day for them.

Ambience at The Marmalade Pantry has an elegant colonial charm, with fine tableware and colours of black and white offset by gold and wood trimmings. Love the open concept of the city outlet, perfect for people watching and relaxing. But the cramped floorspace means less privacy, and you can easily listen in on the next table's conversations.

During my visit, I received below average service at the The Marmalade Pantry. First, it was difficult to attract staff's attention, even though the restaurant wasn't packed. Second, they forget to serve my dessert after I asked for it, and I had to remind them again. On the plus side, staff did offer greetings when I stepped into The Marmalade Pantry, and food was served quickly.

I'm rather ambivalent about the food at The Marmalade Pantry. While I commend the use of fresh ingredients, and the beautiful plating of dishes, the actual execution of the dishes fell flat. For a upper-range cafe with higher than average prices, I expect better quality and skill than what I got, as such, I feel that The Marmalade Pantry is not value for money.

Portions sizes are decent enough for one person. I think the desserts at The Marmalade Pantry stood out for me as well, very pretty presentations, with good taste, though some are overly sweet. Overall, I would probably only recommend The Marmalade Pantry for desserts, not for main courses.

The aggressive looking Lemon Meringue Sponge Cake (SGD $8) has a sweet, airy, and light meringue that shatters easily, revealing the soft cake within. The cake is somewhat dry, but stands out for its zesty lemon cream that is a burst of flavour in the mouth.

I loved the Peony Jade White Tea (SGD $7), with its light body, delicate floral aroma, and sweet fruity taste of lychee and passionfruit, with a slight bitter finish. Excellent choice for an afternoon high tea session!

The Bananas And Berries Hotcakes (SGD $16) is served with a medly of berries (blueberries, strawberries) and honeycomb infused butter. The problem was the poorly cooked pancakes, which were limp, dry, and slightly tough in texture. Not satisfiying or tasty at all, in fact, The Marmalade Pantry received several complains about the poor quality of this dish from diners that day. Avoid!

Desmond Poon
 • 21 Jun 2014 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Was with my wife for a lazy Saturday morning breakfast at their bukit timah branch. ordered their hotcakes and poached eggs sausage.  Flat white coffee was served well stirred ( no foam). Hotcakes hard and stale, poached eggs n sausage,  well, its just that. No dressing, just 2 eggs, 2 dried up sausages, 2 small pcs of toast, a smal tomato n a small portion of bean. What a reap off. Sorry guys, u really have to do something about it especially with that much competition out there.