Review for Tim Ho Wan (Westgate) (添好运)

2.8

AsianCantoneseChineseDim SumHong Kong
Address: #01-13/14, Westgate, 3 Gateway Drive, 608532
26 Aug 2014

ok lar~~~~~~~~

If I have never try the Tim Ho Wan in HK its ok lar~~~~~~
But since I have, its really not that good as compare + the fact that it is more expensive.....
Will give it a pass unless I'm in HK

My full review:

More reviews of Tim Ho Wan

famous char siew buns

tim ho wan when i hear this name i get a fear as i am reminded of how many hours of waiting time there is to get my hands on the char siew buns.
 thankfully i was not that crazy to join the queue at plaza singapura when it first launched but have tried it when the crowd slowly died down. the char siew buns are famed since in hong kong and they have continued the trend. it is an interesting combination of crispy on the outside and moist and soft in the inside. a good combination which is the deciding factor to win the hearts of many. and this outlet is one which is spacious and not that much of a queue.

Disappointed

Tim Ho Wan; the outlet located at Westgate (Jurong East).  I have been here for two times and I would say the place is just not as good as it was being mentioned by many.  Probably, this place is only good in Hong Kong?  Anyway, I am usually there on a weekend, and the queue is always pretty long.  The food the serve is normal, and I really there other dim sum stall have better dim sum!  As for the price, I find it a little too expensive as well.

Char Siew Buns

Tim Ho Wan is easy to locate as it just right in front of the escalator when you take the escalator to basement. The store is quite spacious. Usually there is a long waiting queue, so my friend and I were somewhat surprised when there is no queue on a weekday night. However, as we already had our dinner, we decided to takeaway Char Siew Buns for a small snack. Big mistake! By mistake, I meant that it wasn’t light. It was too filling. As it was a takeaway, we waited at the seats for somewhat 5mins. It was quite fast and the food was served piping hot. Pricing wise, it was quite cheap. Taste wise, it tasted a bit too sweet as I noticed they sprinkled sugar on top. Recommended to eat on an empty stomach.

Once in a while only

Despite the hoo hah surrounding this particular brand when it first announced its arrival in Singapore, I must say that I have been pretty disappointed by it. Apart from the long waiting times, it is actually quite pricey for tim sum and I must say that taste wise it leaves a lot to be desired especially when you consider the amount of time and money that you have invested into finally getting a seat at this place. It is not lousy but you will kinda feel short changed after waiting so long for it. Wouldn't mind coming here once in long while but if you are looking for cheap and good tim sum, I am sure that there are plenty of alternatives around in Singapore.

Expensive Dim Sum

I went lunch at Tim Ho Wan on a Sat afternoon, as it was early, we got a table pretty fast. A order chit was pass to us to do self order. I order few of my favourite like Har Gao, Crispy Chao Siew Bao, Carrot Cake, Siew Mai, steam chicken feet, steamed rice roll with prawns and deep fried prawns roll. The taste of food is not too bad but nothing to be wow about. The service is bad as it seem to be short of staff as the restaurant gets busy and crowded. Very noisy envoirnment and tables set close to each other, thus it is difficult to have a decent conversation with friends. It make you feels like: "wait for your table, eat your food quickly and pay your bill and go". To conclude, Dim Sum price is slightly high compare to some other restaurant, service staff is not attentive and ambience (bad).Will think twice before I steps into this restaurant again!