Reviews for Tim Ho Wan (Plaza Singapura) (添好运)

3.2

AsianCantoneseChineseDim SumHong Kong

Not bad but not fantastic either

Given the long queue of Tim Ho Wan, I will never go and try out the food there. However, since I was hanging around Plaza Singapura at nine in the morning, and there is no queue at this place, so I thought that I might as well check it out. So if you want to avoid the queue, go there before ten in the morning.

The staff at the reception is friendly while the others are quite okay in terms of service. The place is pretty cramped, plus the cantonese music blaring in the background, the Hong Kong feel is really strong.

As for the dim sum, they are not bad, but are nowhere comparable to the ones I have in my favourite restaurants—take note that the price is comparable though. The Bo Lo Bun is decent in taste, the sauce used for the char siew tends to be on the sweet side. But there is nothing exceptional about it. The same goes for the Steamed Cake that has a very silky, fluffy texture but the taste is hardly noteworthy. There is just slight sweetness with hints of egg taste. The dim sum with wasabi looks and tastes interesting, but I can hardly detect any wasabi or horseradish in it. The porridge is really a huge meh. It is so bland and has that cooked-in-the-pot-for-too-long taste, like one of those horrible porridges I had in Imperial Treasures and Jade Restaurant.
I don't mind having the Bo Lo Buns and Steamed Cake again, but queuing for them is put of question. And I will not specially go down for them either.

This review (with photos) can be found on my blog http://morsels-of-delice.blogspot.sg/2015/04/tim-ho-wan-not-bad-but-not-fantastic.html
• 15 May 2015 • 58 reviews • 1 follower

Not bad but not fantastic either

• 26 Apr 2015 • 10 reviews • 3 followers

Overpriced, overrated..avoid like the plague

Overall
First time here. The food is nothing like the Hong Kong outlet. We ordered several dishes and the only that were acceptable were the malay cake and carrot cake. The taste is just very poor and 'coarse' e.g. tasteless porridge, tough char siew in the chee cheong fun..None of the delicate alchemy of flavours that is to be expected of good dim sum..Maybe their quality has dropped over time. We swore never to return. Crystal Jade upstairs is so much better.
• 18 Mar 2015 • 33 reviews • 1 follower

Tasty dim sums made with fresh and succulent ingredients

Overall
The service was fast and there wasn't as long a queue as there was when THW first opened so we got into the restaurant in less than half an hour during weekend lunch time. One thing about Tim Ho Wan that is commendable is that their ingredients were really fresh and tasty, and the dim sums they serve were made upon each order instead of being pre-steamed then reheated, even though that would have helped them managed the crowd better.

Read full review with pictures here: