Tim Ho Wan (Plaza Singapura) (添好运)

Summary

Baked char siew buns, Siew Mai, pan-fried carrot cake, ma lai gao (Malay cake), beancurd skin roll, spring rolls with egg white, Lo Mai Kai, steamed beef ball with bean curd skin, Prawn Dumplings, Steamed Egg Cake, Vermicelli Roll with Pig’s Liver, Baked Bun with BBQ Pork, Century & Salted Egg, Century egg porridge, Congee with Pork, Osmanthus Cake, Phoenix City QUail Eggs, Steamed Chicken Feet, Wasabi Salad Prawn Dumpling, steamed roll with sesame sauce View all
Brunch, Ala Carte, After Work, Lunch, Vibrant/Noisy, Breakfast, Dinner, Cheap Eat/Budget, High Tea, Large Groups, Children/Family, Large Groups/Gathering, Take Away, People Watching View all

Poor Service and slow

we are 7pax in a group,
the staff keep us waiting outside and need to wait until all member came , even less one also cannot go in 1st. In the end given is the 6pax table and extra 1 chair at a corner...What cant they give my members sit in 1st and let us order there is elder there.

poor service and slow...Staff taking order always missout..and mistake

Most helpful reviews for Tim Ho Wan (Plaza Singapura)

Go one time, that's all you need

I was in Plaza Singapura around 6, and I saw the line at Tim Ho Wan was short, so I joined in. I didn't have to wait long before getting a table (about 10 mins--I was actually passed up by a number of diners since my companion hadn't arrived yet). We ordered the BBQ pork buns, carrot cake, Teochew dumplings, char siew chee chong fun and siew mai.

The food was quite good, and came relatively quickly. I especially liked the Teochew dumplings, which were pork with water chestnut--something I've never seen before.

I would recommend trying the BBQ pork buns--the inside is nice, but be warned the outside is strangely sweet. But overall, I'm glad I tried it once.

I wouldn't recommend the carrot cake. It didn't seem special to me, and it had too much dried shrimp inside--of which I am not a fan.

The tables are definitely a bit small and close to other diners. Be prepared to eat fast or stack your baskets on top of eachother.

Overall, I'm glad I've tried the famous Tim Ho Wan, and I was not disappointed by my visit, but I do not see any need to go again, unless to eat those Teochew dumplings.

Highly Overrated

It's stated in the Business Description that "Queues are long, but there is an SMS waiting system in place, and a takeaway counter for those who just want a char siew bao to go." Only the 1st part about the long queues is true as there was no SMS system nor takeaway counter to be seen when I went there on 31 May (Friday) at 2pm. In fact, the staff clearly informed me that they don't entertain takeaways. They will deliver your order to the table, and you can then pack the food into the flimsy styrofoam boxes thrown at you.

Having eaten at the original Tim Ho Wan in Mongkok, I was sorely disappointed by the Plaza Singapura branch. Not only are the prices very marked up ($5.50 for 4 har gaos and $5 for 4 siew mais, not including 10% service charge and 7% GST), the service is poor, to say the least. It's all about speed when eating here, the wait staff was stacking baskets and baskets of dimsum at my table while I was struggling to pack the food into the styrofoam boxes myself as I wanted to takeaway some food for my family to try. Noone offered to help. After queuing for more than 1 hour, I could not even enjoy my meal as the food was all stacked up messily on my table.

Also, the restaurant does not accept Capitaland Mall vouchers as it claims that "it's still new and has just opened." I don't see the logic, really.

Overall, I did not have a good experience here. True, the char siew buns (limited to a plate of 3 buns per customer) were tasty, but I would go to Summer Palace at Regent Hotel anytime for the buns. At least I know there will be better service. Tim Ho Wan at Plaza Singapura is truly overrated.

Disappointing Service, Average Food

I visited Tim Ho Wan last saturday with my family.

When we first entered the place, it was noisy and very crowded. The waiters and waiteess were impatient. Perhaps it was due to the high volume of customers. I felt that they were very disorganised.

My family was rather disappointed with the food as well. We only enjoyed the BBQ pork buns. The rest were only average and it is definately not worth the wait.

Worth the visit once the hype dies down!

For a full review and pictures, visit luxmondi.blogspot.com!

I wasn't really sure what to expect of Tim Ho Wan, but the restaurant layout was bright, clean and cheery, quite the opposite of its Hong Kong counterpart!

For the second day of its opening, we arrived at 9:05am and were the first in queue! It was still pretty short up till about 9:30am, so if you wish to beat the crowd, I'd say 9:30am is a pretty good time to come.

BBQ Pork Buns ($4.50++ for 3 pieces) - Warm and crispy on the inside, soft and steamy on the inside! There is also a hint of Chinese wine in the meat. Yum!

Vermicelli Roll with Pig's Liver ($5.50++) - Basically Chee Cheong Fun with Pig's Liver. Didn't really like it because I don't like liver to begin with, and it tasted rather "smelly" and too strong.

Vermicelli Roll with Shrimp ($5.50++) - much preferred option in my opinion, though relatively safe. It was stuffed with fresh prawns and pieces of ginger, with hints of Chinese wine again. Yum!

Pork Vermicelli Roll ($5.50++) - Char Siew Chee Cheong Fun lah! :D Try this!

Carrot Cake ($4.50++) - found it pretty bland and, like a typical Singaporeans, ended up dousing it in chilli sauce.

Beancurd Skin Roll with Shrimp ($5.50++) - piping hot with a succulent prawn hiding in between the crispy thin beancurd skin. Highly recommended!

Beef Balls with Beancurd Skin ($4.20++) - Interesting flavour with a hint of lemongrass, and not as meaty as you expect it to be.

Tonic Medlar & Osmanthus Cake ($3.50++) - Looks super pretty in photos but tastes way to herby and sweet for me :(

Two issues of contention that I just have to share with you guys before you all plan to brave a trip down within the next few weeks of its opening!

1. After ordering our first round, we were not full enough, and upon requesting if we could order a second round, we were told by the waiters that we would have to wait for more than an hour to get our second round, which really doesn't make sense from a business perspective because we are buying more stuff, AND it was obviously a ploy to try get us out of the restaurant faster. Anyway, we decided to risk the wait, and within 1 minute, our items came, calling their bluff. Sheesh!

2. I wanted to take away some Bo lo baos for Melissa, and when asked, the staff told us that the take away counter was closed, understandably because of huge demand in the restaurant itself. But yet, when we were lining up to pay, we spotted several people walking out with paper bags from Tim Ho Wan, and when asking the cashier about take aways, he told us the same story that the take away counter was closed. But when we pressed him further that we saw someone doing takeaways, he stumbled and said that actually, they did give out paper bags to people who wanted to take away food. Huh???

Never try so just try

Heard of alot of good comments of Tim Ho Wan from alot of people posting on facebook so thought of trying for the very first time.

Queued for awhile before able to go in.
My husband said ok since i wanna try out. The portions indeed are very small, cant really fill one's stomach and the prices are not cheap though.

Find the food wise are somehow over-rated. The services are rather fast but not so friendly.

We ordered few dishes . Definitely will not come back for more.