Review for Togi Korean Restaurant

Address: 11 Mosque Street, 059491
12 Nov 2013

Authentic Korean Restaurant in Chinatown

For the full Chubby Botak Koala dining experience at Togi, click here:

Togi @ Temple Street is one of the early established Korean Restaurant owned and run by Korean owner. Located in the heritage shop houses along temple street, this restaurant has been serving authentic Korean food since 2008.

When it come to Korean food, it is Little Devil's ('LD') area of expertise. To be honest, if you ask me what cuisine do I want to eat, Korean is the last thing that come to my mind. Not to say that I don't enjoy Korean food. I like Korean BBQ and their beef soup. Other than that. I find the options are quite limited for me as I am not very keen on spicy food.

As it is only two of us, we decided to order simple dishes. LD's have Mul Naeng Myen (Cold Noodle with beef – $14.50) and Nan Ji Bok Um (Spicy Stir Fried Octopus – $25) as her octopus cravings got the better of her. For me, I had Dukbaegi Bulgogi (Beef Stew with mushroom and glass noodle - $15).

LD's cold noodle is very refreshing. The noodle is very springy (qq) and chewy. The cold clear beef soup with a dash of sourness from the vinegar is really appetizing. If you have this dish in the summer, it provide the cold comfort relieve from the hot weather. The sliced beef brisket is cooked to tender.

For the octopus, it is actually not that a mind blowing spiciness that you find in this dish. But more like a subtle combination of different spicy flavour. There are lots of ingredients in the dish such as green chilli, red chilli, onion, octopus and rice cakes to name a few. The octopus is actually very chewy and resilient to my liking, but as long as you avoid the chilli seed, you will be fine.

The beef stew tasted quite sweet because they use the same bulgogi marinate in the beef. The soup is quite robust with a slightly cloudy texture as the beef essence came out from the meat. The beef portion is very generous, and I suggest to have a bowl of rice to balance out the sweetness in this dish.

The restaurant is simply decorated and very bright. Space can be a luxury in this place and ventilation is not good. Expect to come out smells like the food you are eating, especially if you are having bbq meat. Service is friendly and efficient. Although the owner is Korean, none of the other service staff is Korean.

The restaurant is packed most of the time and during our meal we saw people queuing outside the restaurant waiting for their turn to savour the food here. The price is very reasonable. Overall, if you are really into Korean food, you must give this place a try. Hwanho and Gamsahabnida!!! Cheers and Thank you !!!

Mul Naeng Myen (Cold Noodle with beef), Nan Ji Bok Um (Spicy Stir Fried Octopus), Dukbaegi Bulgogi (Beef Stew with mushroom and glass noodle)

More reviews of Togi Korean Restaurant

Koreans eat there

Wanted to eat something Korean and after reading the good reviews here, I decided to check this out with my family in tow. We had: Pork Ribs Stew - it's a big pot of steaming stew that has vegetables and mushrooms in them. The waitress who served it would even proceed to remove the meat from the long rib bones for us. So every scope is just with really tender and flavourful pork meat and yummy soup. Excellent with some rice. Spicy Pig Trotters - it's a huge plate of pig trotters that's cut into chunks. I eat only the meaty bits and if you eat it with the lettuce leaves and garlic slices, it's wow wow wow! Not too spicy but has enough kick! Nice!! Bimbimbab - I've heard many people loving this rice combi so I ordered one with spicy pork to try. I'm won't order it again but I can see the draw of this dish. I guess it's not for me. Beef Gravy Soup - this has Korean vermicelli in it. Theirs is thicker than regular Chinese ones. The soup base is actually quite sweet and it really quite a nice dish. My girl loves it! Potato Pancake - this side dish is no side show! It's crispy and really tasty! My other girl loves it so much that she declared that when we return again, she is having 3, all by herself! I support her! Heh They served us 6 side dishes and they are: Kimchi - I don't like kimchi so no comments Potato Salad - theirs has raisins in them so it's kinda sweet. Theirs also has bits of nut and the overall taste is just great! Garlic Vege - it's simple fare of sauté green vege with garlic but it's so good! Spicy Ikan Bilis - it's sticky and a bit spicy and crunchy with white sesame seeds, how to go wrong? Peanuts - theirs is coated with this sticky black sauce that makes the taste interesting. Nice. Preserved Cucumber - it's refreshingly cold and crunchy too. Reminded me of our local acah. We couldn't finish all our food and the lady boss was happy to pack it for us. Many reviews complained of poor service but while service was not top notch, it's really quite ok. They gave us a 20% voucher for returning customers and we will be definitely be back to use it!
Overall

Not all food nice and bad service

We went to this restaurant in dinner time, when eating, they keep walking around our table and even foods not finished, they tried to clear our plate.. we have spent S$100 for 4 person but been chasing to pay the bill and leave so that they can serve more customers...pay so much but not even eat peacefully and dining less then 1hr..
Overall

Branch : Tripleone | Nice food but bad service.

okay, nice food. But very poor service, requested to change table and the waiter "talk/ask" a lot, kind of reluctant to clean the other table for us (we switch from the dark and dirty storage area to brighter and cleaner table nearer to balcony). One of the korean guy, i assume is the boss even spilled the tea all over the table while serving the drinks. no discount whatsoever. very bad service!

Probably the best 한식 in Singapore

Love that place. Everything is so authentic there: service is fast and good (just as it should be in Korean restaurant), food is excellent, and there is an atmosphere of that small family restaurant... After leaving Korea where I spent 1,5 year I tried to find the right place to get real Korean food with Korean service. Togi is the best outside of South Korea.
Overall

korean food that I wouldn't miss

came for lunch but I feel it's an overrated place. The food is expensive and the banchans (side dishes) are ones that I will never come back for. service was so so... not the slightest of smiles was offered. we ordered seafood tofu soup and the beef with glass noodles. Both were alright but probably because we were famished. They took more than 30min to serve but the place wasn't even busy. I would spend my money elsewhere for a much better meal.