Summary

BBQ pork/beef, kimchi pancake, Spicy rice cakes, ginseng chicken soup, kimchi, Bim Bap, fried kimchi rice cakes, kimchi pork belly, BBQ chicken, Dukbaegi Bulgogi (Beef Stew with mushroom and glass noodle), Fried rice cake, Ginseng Chicken, Mul Naeng Myen (Cold Noodle with beef), Nan Ji Bok Um (Spicy Stir Fried Octopus), Pork Ribs Stew, Potato Pancake, Seafood Steamboat, Seafood pancake, Spicy Fried Rice Cake, Spicy Pig Trotters, Spicy tofu soup, Steamboat with Kimchi, Stir Fried Glass Noodles, beef bulgogi, bi-bim-bab, chicken soup, duk-buk-gi, kimchi soup, pancake, seafood soup, stir fried chicken bulogi View all
Dinner, Vibrant/Noisy, Lunch, After Work, Children/Family, Girls Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering, Hidden Find, Ala Carte, Boys Night Out, Cheap Eat/Budget, BBQ View all

Authentic Korean Restaurant in Chinatown

For the full Chubby Botak Koala dining experience at Togi, click here:

Togi @ Temple Street is one of the early established Korean Restaurant owned and run by Korean owner. Located in the heritage shop houses along temple street, this restaurant has been serving authentic Korean food since 2008.

When it come to Korean food, it is Little Devil's ('LD') area of expertise. To be honest, if you ask me what cuisine do I want to eat, Korean is the last thing that come to my mind. Not to say that I don't enjoy Korean food. I like Korean BBQ and their beef soup. Other than that. I find the options are quite limited for me as I am not very keen on spicy food.

As it is only two of us, we decided to order simple dishes. LD's have Mul Naeng Myen (Cold Noodle with beef – $14.50) and Nan Ji Bok Um (Spicy Stir Fried Octopus – $25) as her octopus cravings got the better of her. For me, I had Dukbaegi Bulgogi (Beef Stew with mushroom and glass noodle - $15).

LD's cold noodle is very refreshing. The noodle is very springy (qq) and chewy. The cold clear beef soup with a dash of sourness from the vinegar is really appetizing. If you have this dish in the summer, it provide the cold comfort relieve from the hot weather. The sliced beef brisket is cooked to tender.

For the octopus, it is actually not that a mind blowing spiciness that you find in this dish. But more like a subtle combination of different spicy flavour. There are lots of ingredients in the dish such as green chilli, red chilli, onion, octopus and rice cakes to name a few. The octopus is actually very chewy and resilient to my liking, but as long as you avoid the chilli seed, you will be fine.

The beef stew tasted quite sweet because they use the same bulgogi marinate in the beef. The soup is quite robust with a slightly cloudy texture as the beef essence came out from the meat. The beef portion is very generous, and I suggest to have a bowl of rice to balance out the sweetness in this dish.

The restaurant is simply decorated and very bright. Space can be a luxury in this place and ventilation is not good. Expect to come out smells like the food you are eating, especially if you are having bbq meat. Service is friendly and efficient. Although the owner is Korean, none of the other service staff is Korean.

The restaurant is packed most of the time and during our meal we saw people queuing outside the restaurant waiting for their turn to savour the food here. The price is very reasonable. Overall, if you are really into Korean food, you must give this place a try. Hwanho and Gamsahabnida!!! Cheers and Thank you !!!

Most helpful reviews for Togi Korean Restaurant

Togi: my personal favourite

Togi is one of the few restaurants that I go back to religiously every month. Yes, I kid you not. I head down to Chinatown just for Togi at least once every month. I've tried practically everything there is to try on the menu and while I love almost all of them, the following two are my personal favourites.

The first e is the Spicy Silken Tofu Seafood Soup. I absolutely love to order this with a bowl of rice and simply scoop the soup into my rice. The second is the Barbecued Pork Belly. Even though there are obvious lumps of fat, it never taste too oily and when you wrap it within the lettuce, the pork simply melts in your mouth!

I've also tried their Seafood Steamboat which is pretty good if you have a group of friends to share with. Their Ginseng Chicken Soup is also fantastic and if you love the soup, remember, you can always ask them for a refill. Their ramen and bibimbap is tasty but not absolutely terrific. So stick with the few recommendations above!

Parking in that area is a nightmare and it is mostly parallel parking lots so if you aren't exactly an expert in parallel parking, park either opposite at People's Park or further down nearer to the Chinatown Market and walk over. If you are coming via public transport, you can take the Northeast Line to Chinatown and exit from Exit A. Walk out, after Bee Cheng Hiang and a string of Chinese restaurants with aggressive touting, you will reach a zebra crossing and turn right here. Walk down and you will see Togi on your right.

Furthermore, the crowd can get quite huge around dinner time especially over the weekend and as far as I know, they don't take reservations so be prepared to wait. But oh well, good food is worth waiting for!

For pictures visit http://toseetofeeltoeat.blogspot.com/2011/05/togi-my-fave-korean-place.html

korean food that I wouldn't miss

came for lunch but I feel it's an overrated place. The food is expensive and the banchans (side dishes) are ones that I will never come back for. service was so so... not the slightest of smiles was offered. we ordered seafood tofu soup and the beef with glass noodles. Both were alright but probably because we were famished. They took more than 30min to serve but the place wasn't even busy. I would spend my money elsewhere for a much better meal.

Very good

We will back. Sure. Good quality, service, ambience. The food was really good. Clean place. Makes you feel you are in Korea

Standard Dropped

Early this year, I had very good review of Togi. Even when returning from Seoul in April, where authentic Korean food were savoured every day, I still fondly remember Togi for its comparable standard. On 20 Oct, I went with my family for lunch. The standard has dropped tremendously. We ordered 2 sets of BBQ (pork ribs and beef), and another chicken with sticky rice. All were very very salty, even when wrapped with lettuce without adding any sauce.  The jajangmyeon was cold and many strands of the noodle stuck together even after stirring and tossing the gravy evenly. The spicy pancake, spicy tofu/seafood stew, dumplings were all cold. Only the bibimbap was ok. Side dishes were replenished only upon our request. They used to be "automatically" replenished. What puts us off was that the bill was given to us when we did not even asked for it.  Its like we are being asked to quickly vacate the table even though the restaurant is not packed.