Reviews for Tolido's Espresso Nook

3.6

EuropeanFrenchItalianWestern

Tolido’s Espresso Nook: Coffee-Centric, Innovative, Warmth

Here goes…before Tolido’s Espresso Nook started, they were just a very simple family canteen situated in what was previously known as the Singapore Omni-theatre (At Singapore Science Centre) in 2008. They used to sell food and snacks for the tourists to eat before watching their show in the theatre..Click here!
• 10 Jun 2015 • 12 reviews • 0 follower

Tolido’s Espresso Nook: Coffee-Centric, Innovative, Warmth

• 27 Mar 2015 • 74 reviews • 47 followers

Decent little nook for good java and lunch

Overall
Full post with pics: http://www.alexischeong.com/2015/02/cafe-hangout-tolidos-espresso-nook-at.html

Tolido's Espresso Nook is a hidden gem of a cafe at Crawford Lane (near Lavender MRT) that is just a few minutes away from the famous Tai Hwa Ba Chor Mee (45 mins queue!) that serves up decent coffee (beans from Yahava) and food. They have quite value for money lunch sets where you can just top up $2 for a cup of coffee (iced or otherwise). They've been around for a while, but I've only recently gone to check it out (late last year, and again today). Do also check out the halal pastry/bakery shop beside after when you're done!
• 25 Nov 2014 • 174 reviews • 7 followers

A not-too-bad option to cafe hop to in Lavender

Overall
Knowing that Tolido's was at the building beside Textile Centre and facing the main road (North Bridge Road), my girlfiend and I managed to find our way to the cafe fairly easy by heading in the correct direction from Lavender MRt Station.

And from the menu (pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), we ordered:-

1) Tolido’s truffle fries, $10.50 – Shoestring fries, mixed with premium truffle oil. Topped with shredded parmesan cheese. This was normal although my girlfriend exclaimed upon seeing the fries served in a dimsum basket. She thought it was a little off for Western food to be put in a Chinese basket

2) Rosti, $14.90 – Lightly fried, fresh, shredded russet potatoes and egg. The last rosti I had was years back at Marche when Marche was still located at Heeren. Ha. But if my memory did not fail me despite the many years, Tolido’s version was definitely better. The exterior was fried to a beautiful shade of golden brown and was crispy. As they were generous with the ingredients, it was nice to bite into a thick layer of soft shredded potatoes. One may choose to have it with smoked bratwurst ($16.90) or smoked salmon ($20.90) instead of cheesy sausages.

3) Panini-grilled sandwiches, $12.50 – Includes a side of salad & chips. We chose turkey ham over other flavours of pork bacon or tuna, onion & tomato. And this was normal with ham, lettuce, tomato thrown together with some mayonnaise. I did feel a little cheated when I order something that could be put together by myself.

4) Baked turkey ham macaroni cheese, $10 – Creamy macaroni baked with turkey ham, topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. An easy dish to execute at home, but I was happy spending my money on this as it tasted great! I like that bigger sizes macaroni was used for more substantial bites.

5) Banana pancakes, $9 – Triple stack of fluffy pancakes with bananas. Not too bad. Banana pieces were also included in the batter. The pancake stuck a little to the (top of my) mouth just like how I personally prefer mine to.

6) Latte, $5.50

7) Sea salt caramel latte, $6 – Something different. Amidst the sweetness of caramel, there was the faint taste of sea salt.

I say, if one is in Lavender and is looking for more cafes to cafe hop to after having tried the more popular cafes like Artistry and Symmetry, Tolido’s is a good cafe to try next.

And we could tell the staff was a closely knit group from the fun they were having. Which was a good thing cause when staff are happy, service will be better (with smiles) and food will be tastier. There’s a saying of how happy people dish out better tasting food. Although it would have been better if the staff practised a little restraint and not overtreat the cafe as their house. As we tucked into the food, the peaceful atmosphere was often disrupted by the staff’s loud conversations which were thrown from one corner of the cafe to the other.

----------