Review for TOMO Izakaya (Clarke Quay)

2.7

AsianJapaneseKorean
Address: #01-04, Clarke Quay, 3A River Valley Road, 179020

12 Jun 2014

Good service

Yes service is good. Ambience is good. We went there for drinks during happy hour. One glass is $5.50

More reviews of TOMO Izakaya

Ambience vs Quality

Full review: http://nkikichua.blogspot.sg/2015/02/tomo-izakaya-chinese-new-year-set-menu.html

Tried Tomo's curated Izayaka-inspired Chinese New Year set menu. I must say the ambience is really relax and cozy, that must be why there are always plenty of Japanese drinking there. They have really some interesting dishes but not all are of quality worthy. Such as their Unagi appears to be very rubbery and it's not one of the best I have tried in Singapore, probably it's not kept warm when served.

On the other hand, Salmon and White Meat Fish Yu Sheng is one of their innovation where it is stacked in layers. That is worth trying, something different from the usuals. My other favourite is Tenderly Braised Pork Soft Rib Bone with Japanese Rice Cake, super soft and the meat falls off the bone almost effortlessly. Oh the desserts is a must try! It's pretty close to the ones I had in Japan.

Decent food.....Horrible service!

I was looking for a place to lunch after my meeting at Clarke Quay and I chanced upon TOMO Izakaya. They put up a large sign board '7 Course Set Lunch Bento Menu Consists of etc.....for $35++'
 As I thought the set sounded interesting, I decided to try the Set lunch. After being seated, I browsed through their menu and was trying to order the set that was advertised outside their restaurant. Instead, the staff showed me another set, same price but less items. I told the staff that I wanted the set that they advertised outside their shop. He replied 'Printing error, not available'.
 I told him that they should remove their signboard if they are not offering the set. He replied 'If you not happy, you can always not eat here'.

As I was in a hurry and needed to rush to my next meeting, I just ordered an ala carte item, Beef on rice. It was decent.

I do hope that the owner of the restaurant start to make improvements to the service soon.
 These are the kind of outlets that bring shame to Singapore....especially when it is located in Clarke Quay, a tourist spot.

ambience feels like japan

full review: http://www.jacqsowhat.com/2015/02/tomo-izakaya-2015-cny-set-menu-clarke.html

Came here to try out the chinese new year set menu, as well as the yu sheng tower. The appetizer includes simmered duck, unagi with cucumber, edamame, deep fried baby river prawn, marinated octopus wasabi. Simmered Duck - it was well marinated but unfortunately the meat were tough and dry during my session. Otherwise, it would definitely be prefect. Unagi with Cucumber - it sure looks good upon arriving on our table. The texture was a tad dry and rubbery, was quite a disappointing dish. Marinated Octopus Wasabi - rich in flavour and crunchy in every bite. for mains, braised Pork Soft Bone With Japanese Rice Cake - The texture of the meat were soft and falls off the bone and its combination with thinly sliced Japanese rice goes along well. Rather tasty, recommended dish!
Overall

Worst service ever, food was ok

We gathered at Tomo for a quick drink and some snacks before dinner and was appalled at the extremelu lousy service.
Food was good, the beef tataki and chicken karaage was yums! However this being the first time we ordered beef tataki we didnt know it was 99% raw and asked if it could be cooked further. The server replied us with sarcasm "don't you know what a beef tataki is? It's a cold dish" and left us there. Sigh, and this wasn't the only instance.

there no smiles and a consistent lack of politeness, and we were even asked "are you ordering anything or not?". We were just there for snacks and some casual drinks, and we truly did not deserve any bad attitudes. My frienda and I decided not to order any more drinks, and left. And as good as the food was, we won't be back ever.

Such a sad experience...

Bad experience

Lousiest service ever. We went at 11.20pm and was told 12am was the last order and they close at 1am.
However, we made our order without delay and food was served quite fast. We sat at the alfresco dining area. Halfway through our meal a Malay girl came and asked us to move to a corner table so they can keep our chairs. By that time, our table was actually full of food for 4 pax. We thought that it is kinda weird and told them we will be finishing soon. Then few mins later, think a Chinese aunt maybe the supervisor came and said that "u all want can eat and drink till 2-3am, we just want to keep the chair" Problem is it was obvious that we only ordered food and plain water, there wasn't any orders for alcoholic beverages. A minute later, a Malay guy came again and told us that they are closing and requested us to move. Another time!! Eventually, we stop eating and let him clear. Just recalled I didn't even drink my tea pot soup worth more than 10 bucks. We even told them this is our 1st time experiencing a restaurant chasing their customer away, and the service staff could only smile at us. Best thing is, it still have not past 1am yet

Management response from TOMO Izakaya, published 20 Dec 2014
Dear Ms Jolin Sng, Thank you for dining at Tomo Izakaya Clarke Quay recently and bringing our attention to the unpleasant experience that you and your guests encounter. Word cannot express how truly sorry we are for the frustration that we caused. This is especially saddening as we committed to deliver superior food quality and customer service to our valuable customers. From your review, we know that we failed to deliver on this promise. Thank you very much for your feedback on our restaurant. Based on your feedback, we learn ways to improve ourselves. Tomo Izakaya will be more efficient and customer responsive than ever before. Once again, we'd like to extend our sincere apologies.