Review for Tong Heng Confectionery

Address: 285 South Bridge Road, 058833

Traditional oriental pastries with a history

This confectionery has been around for over 80 years, albeit at different locations and currently has two outlets, one at South Bridge Road while the other is just a take-away counter at the basement of Jurong Point. The former provides seating, hence it's my preferred choice as I can savour the pastries on the spot. Of late, we've been coming here quite often for some snacks before heading to dinner nearby.

So far, we've tried 11 kinds of pastries and only a couple didn't quite agree with me.

豆蓉酥饼 salty green bean crisp $1.30

It's inevitable to compare this pastry to salty tau sar piah but somehow, it's totally different as the filling wasn't very crumbly but the saltiness gave my tastebuds a jolt. Probably too big a jolt for me to appreciate it.

大福饼 plain shortcake $1.30

It's vegetarian and primarily saltish. The soft and fluffy texture was nice but tasted a tad boring which could improve with a cuppa. It's also a bit dry after a few bites without a drink.

豆沙芝麻酥 sesame shortcake with red bean paste $1.30

Encrusted with sesame seeds, the pastry was crispy and the red bean paste wasn't too sweet.

鸡蛋挞 egg tart $1.40

Fresh and still warm from the oven, it's flaky crust was delightful while the egg custard was smooth and wobbly with just a hint of sweetness. Though I prefer Portuguese style egg tarts, this Chinese version was good enough to win me over.

椰丝鸡蛋挞 coconut egg tart $1.50

Similar to the original egg tart except for the shredded coconut that was added to the egg custard. Pretty interesting texture considering the fragrant shreds were crunchy in contrast to the tender and smooth custard.

叉烧酥 bbq pork crisp $1.30

This pastry featured a flaky crust instead of the buttery and crumbly type while the filling was ample, moist and well flavored.

瓜茸老婆饼 candied melon crisp (wife cookie) $1.30

My favorite wife cookie comes from Hong Kong but this was the best-tasting one I'd encountered so far locally. The melon filling was firm and of the right chewiness while the crust was crumbly and fragrant too.

五香皮蛋酥 salty five spice century egg crisp $1.30

When I first bit into this pastry, I was shocked to find a totally different taste than the one I'm familiar with. This rendition was exactly the same as gai zai beng (鸡仔饼) from Malaysia. It's enjoyable nonetheless, especially after subsequent bites when my expectation adjusted to appreciate the spices more.

豆沙鸡蛋糕 chinese cake with red bean paste $1.40

This was another pastry that might fare better with a drink since the cake was kinda dry and the amount of filling was minuscule.

咖喱鸡肉酥 curry chicken crisp $1.30

Not the typical curry puff but the ample filling was infused with spices and tasted predominantly of curry powder. Chicken and a small piece of hard-boiled egg were encased in a wonderfully crumbly pastry shell.

猪肉烧包 pork crisp $1.30

The pork filling was well flavored and moist with a crumbly crust, all the makings of a good savory snack for any time of the day.

All pastries cost $1.30~$1.50 and the staff were polite and efficient. Even though it's very much an eat-and-go affair not lasting more than 20 minutes each time, we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Note: Cash payment only.

More reviews of Tong Heng Confectionery

Egg Tarts: Smooth and silky filling!

I wouldn’t say that the egg tart is extra phenomenal and out of the world, however it definitely is worth the try if you’re big on flaky crusted egg tarts. Once again, a huge thumb up for Tong Heng when it comes to preserving the tradition, delicacies like this are getting harder to obtain by the minute. The egg tarts are also reasonably priced at $1.40 a piece, head down to the stall if you’re round the corner!

Visit for the full review!

Tong Heng vs Liang Chen Mei Dian's Wife's Biscuits

My husband LOVES wife's biscuits, and one time we bought and tried wife's biscuits from many different bakeries (I didn't know about Tong Heng then) but we found that Liang Chen Mei Dian's wife biscuits was the best.

Recently when I called, LCMD said they stopped making wife's biscuits, and so I googled "best wife's biscuits in Singapore" and Tong Heng came up.

So I went to buy.

My review:

Skin: I was disappointed with Tong Heng's when I took my first bite and most of it was flour/ skin. The flour/skin was powdery and didn't have much flavour. The filling was just a bit, not much. If they want to cut on the filling and put so much flour/skin in their biscuit, then they should make the flour/skin more flavourful or not so powdery right? I felt like I was eating talcum powder.

In contrast, LCMD's have a lot of filling so even the first bite you will already have gotten to the filling.

Yes, both LCMD and TH's skins are flaky, but due to TH's being so powdery, you don't really enjoy the skin being flaky. LCMD's skin is soooo much stronger and I would eat every crumb of it.

Filling: I was pleasantly surprised when I got to Tong Heng's filling (FINALLY, cos had to get past a couple of bites of powdery skin/flour first). It was smooth, not too sweet, and very nice. Tong Heng's winter melon filling was in fact smoother than LCMD's and had a nice fragrant after-taste to it. But filling too little.

LCMD's filling is a bit sweeter but also not too sweet (up to your own preference, but I prefer LCMD's sweeter filling). Due to LCMD having more filling, you can feel the nice texture of the filling as you are eating it (a bit like eating those soft gummies or mochi, a bit springy but soft.) If you put it in the fridge/freezer so can keep for longer time, then when you want to eat, you microwave it, LCMD's wife biscuits comes out perfect every time like they just got out of the oven..yums. TH's after microwaving is still nice, but unfortunately the powdery skin just become more powdery.

Price: TH's retail for $1.30 or 1.60 EACH if I remember correctly. Compared to Liang Chen Mei Dian's which sold for $0.80 each.

Summary: My husband is a wife's biscuit crazy fan, but he is not crazy about Tong Heng's due to the huge percentage of powdery skin over filling. He wasn't too pleased to know that LCMD doesn't make the awesome biscuits anymore.

Get TH's wife's biscuits if you're the kind who likes a bit of mildly sweet aftertaste (you don't enjoy that much while you're eating it though), the nice aftertaste hits you about 2 seconds after you swallow the last bit of the biscuit down. ;p

So now, I am going to go see if I can find LCMD's shop in Hungrygowhere and ask them to continue making their wife's biscuits!

And if LCMD doesn't do that, let me know if Tong Heng increases their filling-skin ratio. Or if they improve on their talcum-powdery skin.

Nice pastries but service is bad

My mum visited the Tong Heng shop at Chinatown this afternoon and she was disappointed with the service. We have stopped patronising the shop for two years due to a previous bad experience with the service and today proved disappointing as well.

My mum wanted to look for nian gao but there was none and when the counter staff asked her what she wanted, she decided to buy two charsiew puffs. The counter lady's face turned black immediately, even though she was serving a tourist who was buying a cake cheerfully just moments before. My mum added two egg tarts to her order and the counter lady actually said, "Are you done? Can you place your orders at one go?"

She told my mum the puffs and tarts cost $5.40 and returned my mum $4.40 change (my mum paid $10). When my mum queried her about it, she was very rude and shouted that she had said it was $5.60. I am not sure how much the items really cost but even if it was a mistake on my mum's part, she could have nicely explained to my mum.

Tong Heng is an established brand and it's a pity such bad service exists in the shops. As for the pastries, the egg tarts are good - crispy, flaky pastry and soft, sweet egg custard. The charsiew puff pales in comparison given the filling tasted burnt.

If I have a craving for the egg tarts, I would probably opt for takeaway at another outlet! Given an average cost of $1.40, I think you can also get better value elsewhere.

Tried almost everything..

For photos, please visit Rubbish Eat Rubbish Grow.

Tong Heng has been around since the early 1900s! That’s 100 years of history in Singapore.

There are two main Chinese pastries in Chinatown, both with their own distinct taste but I prefer Tong Heng. I’ve tried almost everything there including the Chinese desserts.

Over the years, I’ve tried most of their products, even their Chinese desserts. (Bet you didn’t know they sell Chinese desserts!) The diamond-shaped egg tart is the most awesomest! Because it sells quickly, they are always baking new batches and so the tart is usually hot. It’s like M&M, melts in your mouth, not in your hands, with just the right amount of sweetness. The other specialty in the shop is the char siew su. This one is different from other places because there is a slight saltiness to it, the char siew is moist and just a little bit charred–which is the best kind of char siew. My third favorite is the egg cake (鸡蛋糕) because it’s light and fluffy.

The shop also does chinese new year goodies, mooncakes, wedding pastries andbaby’s first month.

Although there are seats in the shop, which is like the Chinese style of a cafe, people usually takeaway.

Tong Heng vs Liang Chen Mei Dian

Tong Heng Egg Tart

The boy and I both agree that Tong Heng's is better! We like the thinner + flakier crust and the oh so soft custard!!! Its aroma is wow~~~ The boy and I always buy this whenever we go to Chinatown! MUST-TRY!!! Tastes nice whether its piping hot or not~ 5/5

Liang Chen Mei Dian Egg Tart

Well, its kind of just across the road! Haha the egg tart's considerably smaller compared to Tong Heng though its considered the usual size of egg tarts haha. Anyway this had a rather thick crust that we didnt like! 4/5

For pictures, please visit