Summary

Ambience3
Egg tarts, Coconut Tarts, egg cake, 蛋挞 + 鸡蛋糕 View all
Take Away, Cheap Eat/Budget View all

Egg Tarts: Smooth and silky filling!

I wouldn’t say that the egg tart is extra phenomenal and out of the world, however it definitely is worth the try if you’re big on flaky crusted egg tarts. Once again, a huge thumb up for Tong Heng when it comes to preserving the tradition, delicacies like this are getting harder to obtain by the minute. The egg tarts are also reasonably priced at $1.40 a piece, head down to the stall if you’re round the corner!

Visit http://ieatandeat.com/tong-heng-egg-tarts-%E4%B8%9C%E5%85%B4/ for the full review!

Most helpful reviews for Tong Heng Confectionery

egg tarts!

Food/Drink 4| Value 4| Service 4

For photos and more reviews, visit us at http://foodphd.wordpress.com!

The Egg Tart from Tong Heng Confectionery  has got to be one of the better ones in Singapore. With its flaky thin crust and the soft smooth egg custard, the egg tart wasn’t too sweet and made a pretty good snack. However, our hearts still go out to the buttery and crumbly Tai Cheong egg tarts from Hong Kong.

Traditional oriental pastries with a history

This confectionery has been around for over 80 years, albeit at different locations and currently has two outlets, one at South Bridge Road while the other is just a take-away counter at the basement of Jurong Point. The former provides seating, hence it's my preferred choice as I can savour the pastries on the spot. Of late, we've been coming here quite often for some snacks before heading to dinner nearby.

So far, we've tried 11 kinds of pastries and only a couple didn't quite agree with me.

豆蓉酥饼 salty green bean crisp $1.30

It's inevitable to compare this pastry to salty tau sar piah but somehow, it's totally different as the filling wasn't very crumbly but the saltiness gave my tastebuds a jolt. Probably too big a jolt for me to appreciate it.

大福饼 plain shortcake $1.30

It's vegetarian and primarily saltish. The soft and fluffy texture was nice but tasted a tad boring which could improve with a cuppa. It's also a bit dry after a few bites without a drink.

豆沙芝麻酥 sesame shortcake with red bean paste $1.30

Encrusted with sesame seeds, the pastry was crispy and the red bean paste wasn't too sweet.

鸡蛋挞 egg tart $1.40

Fresh and still warm from the oven, it's flaky crust was delightful while the egg custard was smooth and wobbly with just a hint of sweetness. Though I prefer Portuguese style egg tarts, this Chinese version was good enough to win me over.

椰丝鸡蛋挞 coconut egg tart $1.50

Similar to the original egg tart except for the shredded coconut that was added to the egg custard. Pretty interesting texture considering the fragrant shreds were crunchy in contrast to the tender and smooth custard.

叉烧酥 bbq pork crisp $1.30

This pastry featured a flaky crust instead of the buttery and crumbly type while the filling was ample, moist and well flavored.

瓜茸老婆饼 candied melon crisp (wife cookie) $1.30

My favorite wife cookie comes from Hong Kong but this was the best-tasting one I'd encountered so far locally. The melon filling was firm and of the right chewiness while the crust was crumbly and fragrant too.

五香皮蛋酥 salty five spice century egg crisp $1.30

When I first bit into this pastry, I was shocked to find a totally different taste than the one I'm familiar with. This rendition was exactly the same as gai zai beng (鸡仔饼) from Malaysia. It's enjoyable nonetheless, especially after subsequent bites when my expectation adjusted to appreciate the spices more.

豆沙鸡蛋糕 chinese cake with red bean paste $1.40

This was another pastry that might fare better with a drink since the cake was kinda dry and the amount of filling was minuscule.

咖喱鸡肉酥 curry chicken crisp $1.30

Not the typical curry puff but the ample filling was infused with spices and tasted predominantly of curry powder. Chicken and a small piece of hard-boiled egg were encased in a wonderfully crumbly pastry shell.

猪肉烧包 pork crisp $1.30

The pork filling was well flavored and moist with a crumbly crust, all the makings of a good savory snack for any time of the day.

All pastries cost $1.30~$1.50 and the staff were polite and efficient. Even though it's very much an eat-and-go affair not lasting more than 20 minutes each time, we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Note: Cash payment only.

Diamond Egg Tarts: A Foodie Girl's Best Friend

Happiness is having someone pick you up after a long day in a car filled with the wonderful aromas of freshly baked egg tarts. Ohhhh yeah.

I had one of these babies warm and was amazed at how smooth the filing was. And the pastry shell - so thin yet still rich and held its shape well. The best egg tart I've had in Singapore, no doubt.

I was also advised to keep my coconut egg tart in the fridge for consumption the next morning, and did just that. And wow, that was pretty awesome! The overnight refrigeration intensified the flavor of the tart such that the egg-custard-y goodness was thoroughly infused in the buttery crust. And the addition of coconut strands made the tarts much much more substantial that the usual "I taste it but I don't feel it in my stomach" plain egg tarts, giving you a waaaayyy larger sense of satisfaction.

Good tarts. And I can't wait to lay my hands on more.. (:

Super duper nice

Food/Drink 5

My sister bought 5 egg tarts for us and told us that is super nice when is pipping hot.

From the box, i guess must be from a old old traditional shop. When the egg tarts reached us was already hrs later and it still smells good. But it was too late so we put it in the fridge. I had one for my breakfast, but i ended up eating all the 5. It taste equally good after the next day. My parents were upset lor cos i didnt leave any for them. hahahahhaahaaa

i beg my my sis to buy for us again lor cos is near her working place

Must try, must eat, and must buy

Possibly the best egg tarts!

A craving for egg tarts hit me one morning. Desperate, I gave the one from my school canteen's drink stall a try, which (expectedly) fell short of my expectations.

No more risk-taking this time round- I went to Tong Heng to get my fix.

And as expected, I was not let down. I really liked this egg tart.

I'd never say no to soft, smooth egg custard. Especially when it's served warm and made even more delicious when coupled with an equally well-executed, flaky pastry base. Naturally, I gobbled down my Tong Heng egg tarts in a flash.

Tong Heng's egg cake is also a hot favorite. However, I don't quite fancy the variant of egg cake sold here. I'll save my stomach for more egg tarts!

Visit my blog for pictures and more reviews!