Summary

Value3
Crispy Mini Roast Pork, Chilled Mango Pomelo Ice Cream Dessert, curry prawns, As above..., BBQ Peking Duck, Drunken Prawns, Duck Tongue XO Chilli, Ee mian, Hairy crab xiao long bao (when in season), SOD, Soup of the day, braised sea cucumbers, lie tong, mini roast pork, pan-fried cod fish with snow peas, smoked duck breast, the desserts ONLY, those fried pork squares View all
Dinner, Lunch, Business Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, View/Scenery, Quiet, Vibrant/Noisy, After Work, Fine Dining, Private Dining, Brunch, Corporate Events, High Tea, Waterfront View all

A Relaxing Birthday Dinner

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/05/28/a-relaxing-birthday-dinner-at-tunglok-signature-central-on-27may2015/

last evening, we had a birthday dinner for another close friend at tunglok signature @ central on 27.5.2015. ^^

i just had salts egg prawns & roast pork烧肉 at a 13pax RI friends G20 dinner at peach garden @ metropolis the evening before, and that was good too.

we can see from the photos that the presentation & colours of the 2 dishes at tunglok were better. taste-wise they were close – the roast pork烧肉 about same, the salted egg prawns maybe tunglok a tad better.

we had the deep-fried cod fillet that seemed to be salted egg flavoured also. it was a well executed dish, somewhat oily. not really a preferred preparation for me.

the same dentist friend & mei mei had a birthday dinner for me in 2013 here at this same tunglok outlet. we had star garoupa fillet with broccoli & lily bulbs & that was very good. of course for me, steamed fish is the best. haha!^^

we had the elegant 三层楼, which is a tunglok long standing dish of fried bean curd on spinach & shimeji mushrooms.

there was a newer dish of charcoal tofu with lily bulbs 百合.

both tofu dishes were very nice!

next was a string beans with egg plant. just mildly spicy (if any at all) & quite nicely done.

another dish was a bit unusual combination, some squash with japanese edamame & slightly sweet sauce. can’t figure out this dish.

as it was a birthday, the restaurant provided complimentary longevity buns 流沙寿桃.

they were  presented together with our own birthday cake, and handwritten “calligraphy” by a talented restaurant manager. haha!

少年壮志当十一

回想当年七十一

福禄寿全八十一

享受人生九十一

要找北京101???

the message changes according to occasions, so the guy must have a whole bookcase of them. haha!^

Most helpful reviews for TungLok Signatures (Central)

Birthday Dinner to Remember!

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2013/10/25/fun-birthday-dinner-tung-lok-signature-central-on-22oct2013/

a good friend organised an early birthday dinner for me at tunglok signature @ central which is next to his office on 22.10.2013. we had 4pax for the evening including my wife & a mutual friend. my friend’s god-sister pre-ordered a ala carte menu which turned out to be very good indeed!

we had the usual roast pork as a starter. the look wasn’t that great. taste-wise it was good as usual, especially with the mustard.

we had a very good lie tong 例汤 (soup of the day) with chicken stock & some roots, again a very competent & enjoyable dish as usual for tunglok restaurants.

the wasabi prawns with light mayo topped with some mangoes were excellent, better than what we had recently at peach garden.

the best dish for the evening was the thick sea cucumbers. this was served in a very nice brown braising sauce which was served commonly with abalones or goose webs. the taste was exquisite, & i liked the jinbai (津白) as well.

next up was the star garoupa fillet with broccoli & lily bulbs. the wok hae was super – another excellently executed dish. & i liked especially the deep-fried tofu with shimeji mushrooms, very flavourful.

my friend also arranged for a very nice chocolate truffle birthday cake from swiss bake,and the restaurant made a great presentation with the longevity buns (which came as mini 流沙寿桃) on a plate with calligraphy of meaningful verses by their manager.

it was a very enjoyable dinner with the company, food & conversation. i didn’t ask how much the dinner cost. i estimate the 6 dishes + dessert (excluding the cake to cost S$250. there was a 25% palate discount for 4pax ala carte, so probably about S$220nett.

A wonderful place

Tung Lok Signature Central is a wonderful place with great ambience. Its the best place where we can celebrate birthdays or have a reunion dinner. The service there is always up to standard and the waiters face will always be plastered across with a smile. The food is there is on of the best that i have ever tasted. The standard is always very high with good platter deisgns. Especially during brithday celebrations where they specially prepare a test tube juice with different tpes of fruits or vegetables inside.

My own experience was both during birthday celebrations of my grandparents. For birthday celebrations, you just have to give them the maximum amount you are willing to pay for each person, and they will come out with a menu with different types of food within the limited price. This makes life easier for both my family and the restaurant itself.

There is a cosy ambience in the Tung Lok Siganture Central where it makes us feel at home with ease and comfort. All in all, Tung Lok Siganture Central is the place to go when you feel hungry and is the place you go when you want a nice meal with your family.

always a good place to dine at

prices might be a little steep here but my family have always felt that the food is absolutely good. most of the dishes come in relatively small portions but don't order a big amount of the food, order a variety of it! most loved food there? the roast meat!

might get a little noisy when it comes to dinner time so it's more recommended to visit the place during lunch time! :)

Possibly the worst Chinese food I've had in a restaurant...

I haven't written a review in a long time, but after this experience I just had to write to express my indignation and disappointment. Ordered:

(1) lobster cooked 2 ways - super tiny portion

(2) lamb chop/rack - tiny portion again. Taste was very blah, and the deep-fried ring of something beneath it (no idea what it was) was very hard

(3) wasabi mayo prawns - salty and cloying, couldn't taste the freshness of the prawns

(4) fish maw soup - I'm Cantonese and I know what good soup is. This wasn't. Besides being overly full of ingredients, the taste was not quite there.

For the price point and marketing (signatures? my foot!!), the food was a total fail in my book. Also, one common point I noted was the random garnishes (a tomato here, a watermelon there, throw in some salad)...or maybe they weren't that random...maybe they served the purpose of filling the plate and distracting the diner from the lousy food.

The decor was refined, but we had no peace with people constantly coming and going and the family gatherings on a Saturday night.

Bill came up to $50+ for 2 after 50% discount with Palate card. Still felt cheated. Though we left still hungry, it was a good thing we didn't order more. As a foodie, this was a birthday dinner I would remember for a long time (for all the wrong reasons).

p.s. be skeptical of anyone who has only a few (or even 1) reviews on HGW and praises the food here.

Good presentation & delicious food.

Enjoy the food we ordered: Steamed chicken soup with fungus & herbs, beef cubes fried with onion, green pepper, mushroom etc., braised duck wings & mixed veg.  Nice presentation as well.