Summary

Value3
Crispy Mini Roast Pork, Chilled Mango Pomelo Ice Cream Dessert, curry prawns, As above..., BBQ Peking Duck, Drunken Prawns, Duck Tongue XO Chilli, Ee mian, Hairy crab xiao long bao (when in season), SOD, Soup of the day, braised sea cucumbers, lie tong, mini roast pork, pan-fried cod fish with snow peas, smoked duck breast, the desserts ONLY, those fried pork squares View all
Dinner, Lunch, Business Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, View/Scenery, Quiet, Vibrant/Noisy, After Work, Fine Dining, Private Dining, Brunch, Corporate Events, High Tea, Waterfront View all

A Relaxing Birthday Dinner

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/05/28/a-relaxing-birthday-dinner-at-tunglok-signature-central-on-27may2015/

last evening, we had a birthday dinner for another close friend at tunglok signature @ central on 27.5.2015. ^^

i just had salts egg prawns & roast pork烧肉 at a 13pax RI friends G20 dinner at peach garden @ metropolis the evening before, and that was good too.

we can see from the photos that the presentation & colours of the 2 dishes at tunglok were better. taste-wise they were close – the roast pork烧肉 about same, the salted egg prawns maybe tunglok a tad better.

we had the deep-fried cod fillet that seemed to be salted egg flavoured also. it was a well executed dish, somewhat oily. not really a preferred preparation for me.

the same dentist friend & mei mei had a birthday dinner for me in 2013 here at this same tunglok outlet. we had star garoupa fillet with broccoli & lily bulbs & that was very good. of course for me, steamed fish is the best. haha!^^

we had the elegant 三层楼, which is a tunglok long standing dish of fried bean curd on spinach & shimeji mushrooms.

there was a newer dish of charcoal tofu with lily bulbs 百合.

both tofu dishes were very nice!

next was a string beans with egg plant. just mildly spicy (if any at all) & quite nicely done.

another dish was a bit unusual combination, some squash with japanese edamame & slightly sweet sauce. can’t figure out this dish.

as it was a birthday, the restaurant provided complimentary longevity buns 流沙寿桃.

they were  presented together with our own birthday cake, and handwritten “calligraphy” by a talented restaurant manager. haha!

少年壮志当十一

回想当年七十一

福禄寿全八十一

享受人生九十一

要找北京101???

the message changes according to occasions, so the guy must have a whole bookcase of them. haha!^

Most helpful reviews for TungLok Signatures (Central)

Nice but Expensive!

I recommend the Peking duck. You can taste the juicy and cruncy skin when its wrapped up in the popiah skin thingy and sweet sauce. Furthermore they serve the meat separately so its like you have 2 dishes for price of 1 but its additional cost if you want them to cook the meat in a different way. The vegetable with egg (can'r remember the actual name) is very tangy and goes well with a variety of other dishes and rice. This place has an area that is outdoors and has a nice view of the city skyline and is quite romantic and a boon to al frensco dining lovers. Not sure if smoking is allowed though. This place is not cheap. The bill for 2 person came up to $120+ and we ate only normal stuff not all seafood or what. My darling also loved the mango pudding dessert which according to her is one of the best she ever tasted. The service staff is very attentive. They actually rushed over and insisted to pour tea when my wife tried to do it for me.

You pay for quality

Went for dinner during the lunar new year festive season. Well, in order to get quality food, you would have to pay for a higher price, sounds logical right? :) Love their prawns and steam fish, the fish is nicely steam with very tasty sauces. The staffs are very friendly, and helpful. Had a great time dining at tung lok signatures. Good standard, recommended.

Suitable even for weddings!

The crowd is still acceptable so you can get a table rather easily. The quality of food is nevertheless really appetizing and the staffs there are helpful and prompt. I've even seen a wedding being organized there!

Possibly the worst Chinese food I've had in a restaurant...

I haven't written a review in a long time, but after this experience I just had to write to express my indignation and disappointment. Ordered:

(1) lobster cooked 2 ways - super tiny portion

(2) lamb chop/rack - tiny portion again. Taste was very blah, and the deep-fried ring of something beneath it (no idea what it was) was very hard

(3) wasabi mayo prawns - salty and cloying, couldn't taste the freshness of the prawns

(4) fish maw soup - I'm Cantonese and I know what good soup is. This wasn't. Besides being overly full of ingredients, the taste was not quite there.

For the price point and marketing (signatures? my foot!!), the food was a total fail in my book. Also, one common point I noted was the random garnishes (a tomato here, a watermelon there, throw in some salad)...or maybe they weren't that random...maybe they served the purpose of filling the plate and distracting the diner from the lousy food.

The decor was refined, but we had no peace with people constantly coming and going and the family gatherings on a Saturday night.

Bill came up to $50+ for 2 after 50% discount with Palate card. Still felt cheated. Though we left still hungry, it was a good thing we didn't order more. As a foodie, this was a birthday dinner I would remember for a long time (for all the wrong reasons).

p.s. be skeptical of anyone who has only a few (or even 1) reviews on HGW and praises the food here.

Good presentation & delicious food.

Enjoy the food we ordered: Steamed chicken soup with fungus & herbs, beef cubes fried with onion, green pepper, mushroom etc., braised duck wings & mixed veg.  Nice presentation as well.