Reviews for Tung Lok Signatures (Central) (同乐经典)

Address: #02-88, Central, 6 Eu Tong Sen Street, 059817

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

+65 6884 6884
28 May 2015

A Relaxing Birthday Dinner

See my full reviews & photos at =

last evening, we had a birthday dinner for another close friend at tunglok signature @ central on 27.5.2015. ^^

i just had salts egg prawns & roast pork烧肉 at a 13pax RI friends G20 dinner at peach garden @ metropolis the evening before, and that was good too.

we can see from the photos that the presentation & colours of the 2 dishes at tunglok were better. taste-wise they were close – the roast pork烧肉 about same, the salted egg prawns maybe tunglok a tad better.

we had the deep-fried cod fillet that seemed to be salted egg flavoured also. it was a well executed dish, somewhat oily. not really a preferred preparation for me.

the same dentist friend & mei mei had a birthday dinner for me in 2013 here at this same tunglok outlet. we had star garoupa fillet with broccoli & lily bulbs & that was very good. of course for me, steamed fish is the best. haha!^^

we had the elegant 三层楼, which is a tunglok long standing dish of fried bean curd on spinach & shimeji mushrooms.

there was a newer dish of charcoal tofu with lily bulbs 百合.

both tofu dishes were very nice!

next was a string beans with egg plant. just mildly spicy (if any at all) & quite nicely done.

another dish was a bit unusual combination, some squash with japanese edamame & slightly sweet sauce. can’t figure out this dish.

as it was a birthday, the restaurant provided complimentary longevity buns 流沙寿桃.

they were  presented together with our own birthday cake, and handwritten “calligraphy” by a talented restaurant manager. haha!

the message changes according to occasions, so the guy must have a whole bookcase of them. haha!^

More reviews of Tung Lok Signatures

Ok but Jumbo better

The seafood dishes here are rather decent - chilli crabs, deep fried squid, boiled prawns, sotong yu tiao, etc. The atmosphere is slightly more atas than at Jumbo (at the nearby Riverside or Riverwalk), so if you want better ambience this is a better choice. But in terms of overall food quality, go to Jumbo.

Will not go again !

Saw this advert for Alaskan crab served in 2 ways at Tung Lok signatures for $128. We were looking forward for our crab experience but we were sorely disappointed by that meal. We ordered 2 other dishes to accompany the crab as we were not expecting a huge portion. There was nothing much to shout about for the 2 additional dishes as well.

We had our steam crab in hua tiao sauce. It was half of a small crab. We waited for almost 30 mins for the crab supposedly to be served in the other way. Finally the crab came. But hold on. There was no crab in the dish. There was only supposedly crab roe with vermicelli when we clarified with the manager. But isn't crab roe supposed to be clumpy orangey looking. What was served looked more like the normal "egg flower" in soup. So that was it. No crab at all in the braised version.. Only plain vemicille and the egg, not roe. We were expecting some crab in the second half of the serving style also.

The manager claimed that to them roe is one of the ways of cooking.And only gave standard reply that she would give this feedback to management. Nothing else was done by the manager for service recovery.Reflects how much they value their customers

It was a terrible dining experience

We felt so cheated. 2 ways means the meat cooked 2 styles. So does it mean if we order a fish cooked 2 ways, I would have fish meat in one. And only fish skin or bare fish bones in the other??

This was outright deception! We wanted to order desserts but with that, we settled the bill and went for desserts at another venue.

Tung Lok will be banned from our list of eating places.

as minister w/o portfolio would say "feel leech"

ever since the group started to sprout like mushroom across the island, i've been rather apprehensive about partonizing, on account that their prices r usually too steep for normal blokes to enjoy, not unless the cost is transferred to the employers and/or company. after much persuation from bro jwny to give it a try, i relented.

apparently, it is a participating merchant for the palatte card and/or amex platinum, hence, we could expect the bill to be halved at the end of the day. condition applicable is such, where minimum order of 2 alacarte in order to enjoy the half price perk.

we picked the signature dish - chilli crab & half a ji ling duck, and went all out with the appetizers to fill the gap, while waiting. the waitress misunderstood, thinking i had ordered item 1 & 6, to which i corrected... "no no... item 1 to 6". she looked astonished and repeated the order as if her eyes were popping out of the sockets. as well as chrysantemum as thirst quencher.

the appetizers arrived swiftly in succession, while we chattered & bitched about our work, as well as cracking a few jokes of our own, filling the house with our animated gestures & audible chuckles.

as we were working our way through to finishing the appetizers, the waitress presented the glistening ji ling duck, skinned it neatly served with crepes, before slicing the portions neatly for our picking after. followed shortly with the chilli crab.

i'll make special mention of following:

1. the crispy pork belly - sinfully delicious, unless u're on a strict doctor's order, there's no reason y any normal chinese eater would avoid it.

2. braised duck tongue in XO chilli - another delicacy that isnt readily available in town. the light crunchy texture makes it an enjoyable snack

3. soya braised duck winglet - not for chopsticks amatuers. but worth every attempt

4. the ji ling duck - fundamentally peking duck. the skin was roasted to a nice even glisten, for a moment i thought was glazed in thick lacquer. thouroughly enjoyable with the crepes & leaks.

5. chilled mango pomelo on ice-cream, served in young coconut was a nice conclusion to the feast.

the total bill for 2 came to a whopping total of $150 (before taxes & charges). if it wasnt for the amex privileges, we'd still be washing dishes by now.

Birthday dinner on 10/03/12

Celebrated my mothers birthday at tung lok central ala carte buffet dinner.

The chillie crab was a great disappointment , can get better ones at normal zicar stores. To think that it's TUNGLOK did not expect the food quality to be just so so..even a simple ee fu noodle too cannot make it!...really nothing to rave about!! There were 16 of us ...for $768 we can have better food else where!

Expensive (does not equal) Good Food

As the title suggests, expensive restaurant does not translate to good food. This is my experience:

Having tried several expensive restaurants and coming out feeling cheated, I thought Tung Lok would be different. I came out feeling cheated once again - and this time feeling being cheated big time!

For two persons, we ordered (this is from the receipt):

1. P.Fungus and Vegetables - $24

Subtotal: $126

Svc Charge - $12.60

GST - $9.70

Total: $148.30

OK, here is the food review:

1. P.Fungus and vegetable

4 little sio pek chye, with green leafy part chopped off, and leaves not seperated - don't know whether there's dirt or worms between the leaves? Can't tell, since the leaves are still on the plant. Then there are 4 circular slices of what I think is brinjal but completely devoid of taste. And then there's some unrecognisable and un-tastable fritters. The dish is tasteless, and the cleanliness is suspect.

Tung Lok price: $24. 00

What I'd pay for: $4.00

2. B.Grouper In HotSton

5-6 quite generously sized meat, two pieces of parts of the fish head (no meat of course), 1 piece of the fin (some meat), all battered, fried, then braised in ginger, spring onion. Served in a hot pot. Not the best in terms of taste, but this dish was the best of the worst that we ordered.

Tung Lok price: $38.00

What I'd pay for: $12.00

3. Exotic Curry Prawn

So amatuerish, this dish! Thin watery curry with may 6-7 prawns. No garnish. Prawns are over cooked and tough, curry does not cling to the prawns because it is so watery. Taste? What taste?

Tung Lok Price: $28.00

What I'd pay for: $ fact, I won't even pay for it!

4. Crabmeat Poach Rice

It is actually steamed rice in a watery broth with small unidentifiable cubes of gourd or some other vegetable. The dish is then topped off with a large table spoonful of crispy fried purplish rice (popped, like popcorn). Some crabmeat is recognisable but not tasty. Overall, this quality of this dish appears to be a child learning to cook.

Tung Lok price: $32.00

What I'd pay for: $ fact, I'd never ordered had I known what it taste like.

5. Tea - Pu Er comments here.

6. Pickle - the usual stuff one never orders, but was charged nevertheless.

7. Towels...they did not charge for the towels! Hallelujah!

Overall, the service was OK - dish 1-3 came together, dish 4 much later.

Quality (of ingredients) - average (below average, considering the price)

Taste - only the grouper was acceptable.

My gripe is not the price - I'd pay well for great food. But when the price is astronomical for mediocre, amatuerish food, that's unacceptable.

Lesson learnt: Never go to Tung Lok again, ever! Paying like a duke for amatuerish food, that's really stupid of me!

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, unless they want to come out of it feeling really stupid.