Back to Tung Lok Signatures#02-88, Central, 6 Eu Tong Sen Street

Waterfront3 votes

fatpig
 • 01 Jan 2012 467 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Enticed by the AMEX 1 for 1 set menu at Tung Lok and the prospect of catching up, a couple of us met up for dinner at The Central's Signatures (TLS for short) outlet for dinner one evening. I've actually never been a fan of Tung Lok as I've yet to experience really good food at any of their outlets, including their much touted Humble House.

Located on the 2nd floor of The Central and immaculately done up to exude an air of oriental poshness, Tung Lok Signatures stands out from the crowd of eateries that crowd the area. Tables are spaced at a relatively comfortable distance and full length windows allow a great view of Clarke Quay and the Singapore river.

Flame Traditional-style Boiled Shark’s Fin Soup with Chicken - Gimmicky flames aside (due to the lighting of wax at the side of the bowl), I thought that the broth was excellent - flavourful yet light on the palate. Fin portions were reasonably substantial with bits of chicken to balance out the texture.

Pan-fried French Foie Gras with Crispy Beancurd Skin served on Pancake - Playing on the concept of Peking Duck, TLS's take on the pan fried foie gras involved serving the foie gras (with a layer of peking duck sauce on top) together with a crackling piece of beancurd skin and wrapped over using a rectangular piece of thick crepe. I honestly thought that it was an interesting concept but I did find the foie gras way too gamy for my liking. And that honestly killed this dish for me.

Steamed Soon Hock Belly with Minced Ginger - The soon hock was fresh but a little lacking in natural sweetness. One other gripe too. Being the belly, it had tons of bones which made it a pain to consume.

Crispy Kurobuta Pork Cartilage in Chili Sauce served with Deep-fried Bun - This dish seemed promisingly at the onset but didn't quite dazzle. The pork cartilage was coated with flour, deep fried and drenched in chilli sauce that was similar to chilli crab gravy, just a lot less spicy. The meat was tender but somehow I couldn't get past my psychological barrier to stomach the gelatinous cartilage. I liked the deep fried bun though.

Braised Japanese Handmade Noodles with Lobster Meat and Vegetable - Alongside the shark's fin soup, this was probably the best dish of the evening. Springy and robust noodles with minimal portions of lobster meat and a nice, savoury gravy. And of course, the obligatory 2 stalks of vegetables.

Chilled Grapefruit Shaven Ice topped with Ice-cream served in Pomelo - I was hoping for a sweet ending to my meal. But what I got was a cold, bitter dessert, which pretty much sums up how we felt at the end of the meal. But to be fair to the grapefruit, I'm just not a fan.

With the AMEX 1 for 1 promotion, 6 of us clocked in at almost $352 for dinner. Service was good but food left much to be desired. Even with the promotion, I'm not sure I would want to fork out almost $60 a head for food of such quality and portions. And with this meal, I have officially closed the chapter on Tung Lok, never to return.

• 19 Dec 2011 316 reviews 86 followers
Overall
Not many restaurant has duck tongue, other than I knew one in Singapore in many years ago. This Tung Lok group is another one I got to know that second/third place to serve duck tongue. I was very elated about it.

Other than that, the dishes were very nicely cooked and tasted. Especially being a Cantonese, the cuisine really suit it all.

Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Vibrant/Noisy

The Hungry Bunny
 • 08 Sep 2011 553 reviews 19 followers
Overall
Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2011/04/tung-lok-signatures-central.html

and http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2010/06/tung-lok-signatures-central.html

Tung Lok Signatures is my favourite restaurant under the Tung Lok empire. Their food is refined and elegant, usually with a uniquely modern twist to the traditional classics. Plus, the view of the night-time Singapore river is very romantic.

We had:

1) Fried Beansprouts ($20) with jellyfish, cuttlefish, red and green capsicum would have been good if not for the addition of julienned ginger

2) Braised Pork Belly with Salted Fish ($20). This was robust and heady, with thick black oyster goo accented by spicy dried red chillis

3) Steamed Chicken ($20) wasn't what we expected, though it was a nice surprise. Chicken chunks were tender, smooth and moist, with red dates lending a nuanced sweetness

4) Deep Fried Silver Bait with Seven Spices ($7) fragrant, crispy

5) Braised Fish Maw Bisque ($14), with sliced mushrooms, freshly shredded crabmeat in a thick seafood-based bisque, was so yummy that although I only ordered a portion of it for myself, the rest promptly ordered one for themselves too

6) Poached Seasonal Vegetables with Three Kinds of Eggs ($18) nicely delicate

7) Poached Seasonal Vegetables with Three Kinds of Eggs ($18) was nicely delicate

8) Braised Star Garoupa served in Hot Stone Pot ($38), with beancurd skin and shimeiji mushrooms, was fresh but terribly tiny in portion

9) Braised Homemade Beancurd with Wild Fungus and Conpoy Crisps ($20) was amazingly smooth and soft

10) Hokkien Fried Rice with Conpoy and Dried Seafood ($22)unexpectedly brilliant. Copious amounts of luscious brown gravy was slathered over the rice dish.