Reviews for Tung Lok Signatures (Central) (同乐经典)

Address: #02-88, Central, 6 Eu Tong Sen Street, 059817

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

+65 6884 6884
28 May 2015

A Relaxing Birthday Dinner

See my full reviews & photos at =

last evening, we had a birthday dinner for another close friend at tunglok signature @ central on 27.5.2015. ^^

i just had salts egg prawns & roast pork烧肉 at a 13pax RI friends G20 dinner at peach garden @ metropolis the evening before, and that was good too.

we can see from the photos that the presentation & colours of the 2 dishes at tunglok were better. taste-wise they were close – the roast pork烧肉 about same, the salted egg prawns maybe tunglok a tad better.

we had the deep-fried cod fillet that seemed to be salted egg flavoured also. it was a well executed dish, somewhat oily. not really a preferred preparation for me.

the same dentist friend & mei mei had a birthday dinner for me in 2013 here at this same tunglok outlet. we had star garoupa fillet with broccoli & lily bulbs & that was very good. of course for me, steamed fish is the best. haha!^^

we had the elegant 三层楼, which is a tunglok long standing dish of fried bean curd on spinach & shimeji mushrooms.

there was a newer dish of charcoal tofu with lily bulbs 百合.

both tofu dishes were very nice!

next was a string beans with egg plant. just mildly spicy (if any at all) & quite nicely done.

another dish was a bit unusual combination, some squash with japanese edamame & slightly sweet sauce. can’t figure out this dish.

as it was a birthday, the restaurant provided complimentary longevity buns 流沙寿桃.

they were  presented together with our own birthday cake, and handwritten “calligraphy” by a talented restaurant manager. haha!

the message changes according to occasions, so the guy must have a whole bookcase of them. haha!^

More reviews of Tung Lok Signatures

It was okay, but short of expectation

I brought the family and my grandmother to Tung Lok (The Central) for lunch on a weekday.

I made a reservation the day before. The staff who answered the call was very polite and helpful. When I enquired about the menu, she patiently explained the different menus and promotions to me over the phone.

When we arrived, the staff recommended us the weekday lunch set for individuals and the lunch set for group of 4-6. Because I was lazy to go through the entire menu, I decided we go for the lunch set for 4-6, which includes the following:

Double-boiled Chicken Soup with American Ginseng

Roasted Duck served with Dark Beans and Fried Tofu

Pan-fried Cod Fish with Snow Peas

Prawns in Garlic Soya Sauce

Stir-fried Vegetables

Seafood Fried Rice in Lotus Leave

Cherry Tomatoes Sweet Soup with Aloe Vera

The first three were very good. The soup was light, not oily, yet rich in flavour. The roast duck was tender, the skin delicately crispy. It was the same for the fried tofu. We were quite impressed with it. The same went for the pan-fried cod fish with snow peas. The cod fish was amazing, the flesh soft and juicy inside and the outside thinly fried and crisp. My brothers lemmed for more.

Then it gradually went downhill from there. The prawns were fresh, but the way it was prepared was uninspiring. The vegetables were bland and tasteless. Seafood fried rice was alright except it left an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth, I'm not sure why. The dessert required an acquired taste -- it was sweet and sour at the same time, light, and quite novel. The females liked it, the males didn't. In fact, I think my brothers gagged.

So what began as a very promising meal fell short due to the last few dishes. The staff were friendly and competent enough, though at times a little clumsy, which for a place of its class (and given the prices), it fell short a little.

For the same price, I would highly recommend Padang Palace instead, where the service and the food is still the best I have ever seen in Chinese restaurants.

I'm too lazy...

yeah that's right!!! i'm too lazy to review both tung lok signatures at the central n vivocity n so i've decided to lump two reviews into one!! wahahaha ... mondae blues brain not working u get e pic so wahahaha!

okie here we go! ambience-wise i've gotta say both central n vivo do have e views.. (Clark Quay n sentosa) but central do have a more "high class" feel while vivo seems more "casual".. e menu is e same n e staff r all taught e same way ie refill e tea cups n top up soup at every given opp! (even if it's juz one drop of tea! serious!)...

It's definitely very pricey...everything starts from like $16 n so dun juz drop in for fun okie!haha.. but is e food yummy enuff to justify for e hefty price tags? okie i'm gona lump all e dishes (that i remember) i've at both places..

okie 1st up e prawns! curry prawns with mantou ($24)... i lurve this! i like curry n i like prawns so wat's not to like rite?? e curry is spicy n yummy so this is a must try! esp can dip e mantous! (i've tried curry prawns at peony jade b4 but tung lok rocks!) the wasabi prawns ($28) is really juz ok-ok..considering it started from here i was expecting it to b divine but it's not... (prefer e ones at golden peony at conrad).. i prefer more wasabi to b coated on e prawns but instead it's like fried prawns on a bed on wasabi salad so it kinda sux.. definitely e curry prawns!

next up r e porky pigs! the crispy mini roast pork ($9)!! i love this too! i dun take fatty meat but these mini cubes look soooo cute that it's hard to resist! it melts in your mouth n it taste yum! e dong po rou ($20) is not bad too.. i had a taste (my bf slurped it all up) n i tot it's pretty good.. sauce goes well with rice or u can dip in e mantous!

e soupy soups! i had e S.O.D. ($18 for half) at vivo n e sea treasures ($28) at central.. i wana order e SOD at central but was told it ran out (erm it's oni 7.30pm ok but watever) but e soups r definitely good at tung lok.. i'm not too sure wat sea treasures r in there but i'm a happy person with SOD so gona stick to that next time..

e spinach beancurd with mushrooms ($18) tastes really great too! i liked it although it's way too ex (hello tofu le..) but it has tofu n mushroms n some greens so order this if u need some veg in your meal!

yuan yang mantis prawn fried rice
 ($22).. wana order e seafood fried rice instead but was "advised" to take this coz it's unique n it's e last day of promo.. yuan yang as in some of e rice is fried crispy while e rest r e normal texture.. couldn't really taste nor find e mantis prawn (WTH!) but e rice is interesting.. very crunchy! kids will lurve it! or big kids like us wahahaha....

other dishes include e aussie tenderloin beef (i tink) which is not too bad but if u really wana have a portion of beef..go to a proper beef place la.. n we also had this veg dish with crab meat n scallops which was tasteless so i dun even wana relive it..

overall tung lok is good but pricey...if u wana have a more fine-dining impress ppl feel (tink dim lights n damn serious-looking staff) go central.. if u wana b able to b see ur food n b noisy.. go vivo coz food-wise it's e same..

guessed wat? after my super duper long review... i'm not that lazy after all! but damn it's still monday.. ;p

Its so pricey

Dishes are really expensive here. The minimum price per item is about $16. Even a plate of vegetable costs at least $16! Gosh! Lesson learnt from this meal: Never order vegetable or beacurd regardless of how nice they are. Its simply not worth the value. LOL

We ordered a beancurd, fried pork ribs and fried rice.

The beancurd is really good. There is a layer of spinach on top of the tofu. The sweetness of the beancurd simply melts in your mouth. It best eaten on its own without any additional sauce. Guilt free food! Shiok!

Fried pork rib was nicely done as well. The meat (or maybe fats) was really soft and tasty. Once again, its best eaten without any sauce. Any additional sauce will simply ruin the original taste.

Lastly, the fried rice was nothing spectacular. In fact, the scallop was over cooked. It turned out really dry and hard.

Each of the item above costs $18 each. As we had a discount voucher, the total damage was about $40 for two.

Good food but price a bit high

Came with a friend. Very nice decor, perhaps even nicer than the old Tung Lok at Liang Ct. Simple, modern, no tablecloths.

Service was good, attentive but service staff don't like speaking English at all....

The roast pork sholder came out looking like char siew but was very good, warm, with a layer of fat, tender, with just the right amount of sweetness. We got about 24 slices which were 4cm long but were thin and long. So, all in all $18 for less than 100g means $200 per kg - gosh wagyu prices for pork hmmmm... The wasabi prawns ($24) were a bit better, looking more substantial with about 10 largish fresh tasting prawns, crisp with a very nice wasabi sauce that perhaps could have been a bit stronger. The kai lan ($18) was quite good but again $18 is a lot to pay for 200g of the stuff. Last dish was lamain fried with pork and chives - this was oily but very nice, with right about of wok hei and taste.

This plus 2 glasses of wine ended up costing $120, which seems a lot given there was no shark's fin or yu sheng or abalone or fish. If we had added one of the above, it would have moved close to $200!!

Reliable chinese cooking but reeks MSG

Tung Lok needs no introduction to local restaurant goers being a long established player in our crowded Chinese cuisine arena. This one at Central is more upscale and trend towards a more modern chinese fusion style where dishes commonly serve by "per person" portions much like Taste Paradise and Imperial Treasures Great World. Decor is modern chinese as mentioned and you get a clarke quay view so not too bad for any chinese restaurant.

Service is solid with plates being changed and food being portioned at our table for our convenience. They top up soup bowls and tea cups promptly and clear dishes as they empty. Can't complain about anything there.

This visit we had:

1) Steamed Soon Hock $35

2)Deep Fried Vegetarian Goose $5

3) Broccoli with crab meat and fish maw $22

4)Double boiled sea treasures soup $28

5) Stewed Ee-fu noodles $16

6) Mango Pomelo and Mango pudding for desserts $5 each

Fish is fresh and soy steamed, typically cantonese style. My partner likes this dish for its freshness but I say for $35 and it not being a whole fish this better be fresh!

Vegetarian goose is a good starter as always - it is tofu skin with some vegetable stuffing deep fried. At least I have a soft spot for this so as long as it is not terrible I am more than happy to gobble this up.

Broccoli is not very tasty - guess season is not good for greens now or it may just be china broccoli instead of australia ones. The crab meat gravy not too bad (alot of MSG though) but broccoli a tad to crunchy for me liking. Just a little more cooked will be nice.

Soup is tasty but also leaves a dry throat after consumption so needed alot of tea to go along after. For $28 a small pot that serves 2, i don't particularly think it is great value should try something else next time.

Noodles bit salty for this cantonese palate so....if u like light food...stay away. Again very thirsty after eating this so again msg/salt a generous participant here.

Desserts are alright - pomelo a little bitter so bad season i guess? Mango pudding average.

Overall not too bad for business dinner or family casual but I prefer Imperial Treasure Great World and the benchmarking don't work in favor of Tung Lok here. I will come if I am in the vincity but not a special trip.