Back to Victor's Kitchen#01-21, Sunshine Plaza, 91 Bencoolen Street

Ala Carte3 votes

jiaksimipng
 • Thursday at 8:29am 64 reviews 0 follower
Overall
When it comes to Salted Egg Yolk Buns, Victor’s Kitchen is one of the first few names that will come to mind. Since we were going to Sunshine Plaza for some photocopying/laminating work, we thought it would be a good opportunity to stop by for some dim sum.

Deep Fried Shrimp Dumpling ($5.00) were the first to arrive. The large and fresh prawns were set to impress with the crispy golden-brown skin. The skin was a bit on the thick side but was not too much of a bother anyway

The dish which Victor’s Kitchen is well known for is the Golden Egg Yolk Lava Bun ($4.00). A little bite sets the fluffy bun to explode, but we were not a fan of the layer of oil that we had to get through in order to taste the Salted Egg Custard filling. The version that Victor’s Kitchen serves may appeal to those who love their liu sha bao to have more salted egg yolk for its filling, which is tipping towards the salty scale.

Siew Mai ($4.00) was chewy and all, but we were more than pleased to find out the large and fresh shrimp that resides at the bottom of each Siew Mai!

Victor’s King Prawn Dumpling ($5.00) as with all dishes with shrimp also had a large and fresh prawn wrapped in a translucent skin, but the skin was missing of that particular bounciness which makes it seemed a tad normal somehow.

Served in a dish rather than pan-fried and cut into various slices, the Scallop, Sausages Carrot Cake in XO Sauce ($4.00) was a delight. Bouncy carrot cake with bits of lupcheong with shreds of radish, it was easily a winner with a savoury XO sauce that completes the dish by offering another dimension of flavour.

We did not get the rosey part of the Rosey Wine Char Siew Bun ($4.00), but all we knew was that the bun was really fluffy and fragrant with generous amounts of char siew filling. The pork chunks were sizable and covered in a thick and sticky Char Siew sauce.

Another dish that we loved was the Pork Ribs in Black Bean Sauce ($3.00), which was just savoury with the sauce taking in the flavours of the meat as though simmered for hours. The small chili helped in creating that extra refreshing spicy kick that intensifies the flavour as well.

King Prawn Chee Cheong Fun ($4.00) was enjoyable, with the rice roll of the right thickness. It was also slippery as it glides down the throat effortlessly. Prawns were huge and fresh as well and created a nice chew for the rice rolls. We also loved that they do not scrimp on the sauce; something that other restaurants do so often now which makes the dish pales in comparison.

Another variant of the Chee Cheong Fun, Youtiao Chee Cheong Fun ($3.50) was actually rice rolls rolled with dough fritters in between. Achieving a crispy yet smooth texture, this dish was perfectly executed, with different dimensions of saltiness demonstrated by both the dough fritters and the soy sauce.

For the full review and more photos, please visit: http://jiaksimipng.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/victors-kitchen-sunshine-plaza/

Must tries: Scallop, Sausages Carrot Cake in XO Sauce, Deep Fried Shrimp Dumpling, victor’s king prawn dumpling, Siew Mai, King Prawn Chee Cheong Fun, Youtiao Chee Cheong Fun

After Work, Brunch, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch, Vibrant/Noisy

SCS C
 • 05 Mar 2014 200 reviews 1 follower
for more: http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/victors-kitchen-bugis/

I don’t really understand all the praise and rave about this place. it’s not bad, and actually, the food is just as you’d expect it to be considering the style of the eatery – just that my expectations were raised what with so many people citing this as some sort of powerhouse.

I think this might possibly be what’s known as proper hong kong style – with a spartan piece of white paper to mark your orders from. drinks come in old school pyrex and glass dishes, and the dimsum arrive in weathered bamboo steams – all of which elicit a sort of rusticity amidst the old-school decor.

coffee-shop style dimsum, and pretty far removed from any refined sensibilities. I expect you’re really expecting some sort of verdict on the famed liushabaos (those salted egg yolk custard lava buns) and those were pretty disappointing.

the menu is small, but it’s cheap, and it’s rather like those eateries you get in old-town malaysia or hong kong. I’m not sure a revisit is in my future – I’d rather spend a bit more and get better quality – but it’s a decent option in the future, though definitely un-rave-worthy.
Breakfast, Brunch, Cheap Eat/Budget, Hidden Find, Vibrant/Noisy
  • steamed carrot cake
  • steamed carrot cake

HuatAr
 • 25 Feb 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I should have left the moment I stepped into this place as I felt uncomfortable. The place looks dirty; dirty tables and stains on the wall. Secondly, the place is quite cramped; can easily knock into someone :(

Thirdly, they are charging restaurant prices. Seriously, for the prices you pay, you can enjoy yourself at those well-known dim sum restaurants that serve better quality food, provide you better customer service and you dine in a condusive environment.

With these tell-tale signs, we still took the risks to try their dim sum (which we really regret). Have you ever had an unsatisfactory meal and felt really angry with yourself for making a bad choice? This place will make you feel like this.

If you still want to try what is lousy food and poor customer service,  remember to take a photo of your order form before you hand it in. They gave us an item that we did not order and the auntie even challenged us that we did ordered that item by asking if we want to see our order form. She took more than 5 mins to come back with our order form, and from a distance, said to us, "Neh, you ordered it!"

When we asked her for the order form to take a closer look, she refused initially. When we insisted to take a closer look, she unhappily passed it to me. And the "1" on that item was obviously different from my strokes. If only I had took a photo prior to handing in my order. But well, this further proves to us that this is the first and last time we are patronising this shop. Why cheat your customers of an order? If you sent the wrong order, just admit, apologise and take it back. Now you ruined your reputation because of a few bucks.

Lastly, the food and so-called signature lui sha bao are rubbish. Totally not worth the money. Furthermore, every item we had was too salty.

Must tries: Nothing to be frank...