Back to Victor's Kitchen#01-21, Sunshine Plaza, 91 Bencoolen Street

Ala Carte3 votes

wlwanwan
 • 08 Aug 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Went to Victor’s Kitchen. To us Victor’s Kitchen is really not worth going. The dim sum are not fine at all. Items that are supposed to serve warm, are not warm. Very disappointing. The food is not worth the price they charge. The Staff are very unfriendly, at times are very rude too.

• 11 Jul 2014 316 reviews 86 followers
Overall
Queue already form before this shop opens, and the business hours starts from 12 noon.  Inside seatings are limited, we even have shared table with others.  Consider our group is already 5 of us.

Overall the dim sum dishes aren't fanciful to me.  Except one so-called unique dish and drink.  The dish is a steam carrot cake covers with sauce.  Smooth for its cake texture, and savoury of its sauce to be mixed and eaten.

The drink is Hong Kong style of milk tea and mixed with coffee.  Very cooling to drink, as it comes with a bowl of ices to chilli the glass.  Craving drink for.

Must tries: carrot cake with xo sauce, iced summer milk tea, Golden egg yolk lava bun

Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch

theengineerchef
 • 26 May 2014 27 reviews 0 follower
For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

Victor's Kitchen might be a gem hidden in Sunshine Plaza at Bencoolen St, at least not so much hidden from dim sum fans and old timers.

My friends and I went to Victor's Kitchen on a Saturday afternoon for our dim sum fix. It was around 2pm when we arrived, and a line outside the restaurant was still prominent, even though not that bad. There were three parties ahead of us, and we waited for about 15 minutes for our table.

The restaurant was busy, small, and packed. Tables and chairs were so closely placed that you had to share a long table with other parties. You're less likely to sit comfortable due to the occassional back to back bump with the person at the table behind.

Small sheet of papers with menu choices were available on the table. Menu choices were not much. Tick whatever you like and place your order at the cashier.

We ordered the house famous Steamed XO Carrot Cake ($4.50), Siew Mai (steamed pork dumpling) ($4.50),Victor's King Prawn Dumpling / Har Kaw ($5), Steamed Shrimp & Spinach Dumpling ($4), and Deep Fried Shrimp Dumpling ($5).

The Steamed XO Carrot Cake was clearly the star of the meal. It was moist, soft, yet refreshing as compared to its traditional fried counterpart. The XO sauce and topping provided a unique taste and spice to the dish.

My second favorite dish would be the Har Kaw. Nothing too special about this but the skin was thin and the shrimp was fresh.

The Fried Shrimp Dumpling was crunchy on the outside, and when you bite into the shrimp, it was crunchy and succelent. Another must order dish.

The Siew Mai and The Steamed Shrimp & Spinach Dumpling were probably the least memorable dishes. Not that they weren't nice.

For drinks, I ordered the Hong Kong Summer Ying Yang Milk Tea ($3.50). It was served atop a bowl of ice - creative presentation to keep the tea chilled without getting diluted - smart! The tea was traditionally HK style and not too milky, which suits my palate well.

Overall, my friends and I thought our experience at Victor's Kitchen was good. The food was good, although the comfort wasn't really up par. We'll definitely come back, but we'll watch out for our wallet as prices are slightly on the higher end.

Must tries: carrot cake with xo sauce, iced summer milk tea

• Steamed XO Carrot Cake (left), Siew Mai (middle), and Har Kaw (right)
  • Deep Fried Shrimp Dumpling (left), Steamed Shrimp & Spinach Dumpling (right)
  • HK Summer Ying Yang Milk Tea chilled over a bowl of ice