Reviews for Wah Lok Cantonese Restaurant (华乐酒家)

3.7

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum

Prices steep, but its worth it

For pictures and full review, pls visit:

I’ve heard many positive reviews on Wah Lok’s dim sum and finally had the time to check it out. This is my first time at Carlton Hotel and I was impressed by the spacious lobby, featuring an eye-catching chandelier made out of blown glass.

The grand entrance of the restaurant. I noticed numerous awards are display on the right; this upped my anticipation. Wah Lok’s decor is sophisticated,  with Oriental architecture features and motifs. Tables are spaced comfortably apart. Service is brisk and helpful.

Unlike most restaurants that offer their dim sum in portions of 3, Wah Lok accommodated our request for 4 portions. No need to cut (and at the same time ruin) the dim sum for sharing. Fantastic! No comments about the dish indicates I find it passable. I’ll elaborate further on the notable items, and also those I find lacklustre. Wah Lok has a fixed soup of the day from Mondays to Saturdays. On Sundays, it varies. On this particular Sunday, it was Shark’s Fin Melon Soup ($7.50), aka 鱼翅瓜 soup. Don’t worry, no sharks were used to prepare this. The main ingredient is a type of melon, which got its name from its resemblance to shark’s fin. The texture of the melon is beautiful- juicy and soft noodle-like strands. Slurping up the melon and fortifying soup was a joy!

The Roasted Pork ($12) had enticing crackling skin, but the flesh itself was a tad dry and not as melt-in-the-mouth as expected.

Large Steamed Prawn Dumplings ($6.80/4 pcs) came with shimmery translucent skin which held the fresh, crunchy prawns very well. The Steamed Pork Dumplings ($6/4 pcs) was another well-executed classic. Nice bouncy texture with great flavours from the fresh pork and mushroom.

Century Egg with Pork Congee ($6.80) and Pig Liver Congee ($6.80). Portions were small for the price.

Deep fried Beancurd Skin Rolls with Shrimps($9.20) and Deep Fried Prawn Dumplings ($6/4 pcs) were delightfully crispy and not at all oily.

Steamed Carrot Cake ($4)

Steamed BBQ Pork Buns ($4.80/ 3 pcs)

The Steamed Custard and Egg Yolk Buns ($4.80) were having a bad day; they failed to flow. The custard was too sweet as well, overshadowing the salted egg yolk flavour.

Deep Fried Crabmeat and Scallop Balls with Chilli Sauce ($10). What a convenient and fuss-free way to enjoy chilli crab, made even better with succulent scallops. The gravy is truly highlight here- addictively spicy and tasty.

The Baked Mini Egg Tarts ($6/4 pcs) could do with a more flaky and buttery pastry.

We rounded off the excellent lunch with appealing desserts- Cold Aloe Vera with Lemongrass ($6) and Chilled Green Apple Jelly with Chrysanthemum ($6).

While prices may be a bit steep for Wah Lok, the quality, execution, ambiance and service makes it worthwhile.

• 20 May 2015 • 147 reviews • 8 followers

Prices steep, but its worth it

For pictures and full review, pls visit:

Steamed Carrot Cake ($4)

Steamed BBQ Pork Buns ($4.80/ 3 pcs)

• 07 Apr 2015 • 50 reviews • 16 followers

One of the Top Dim Sum Restaurants

Overall
It was a really nice restaurant with a gorgeous comfortable interior. They are supposedly good for their dim sum so my boss brought us here for lunch to celebrate my birthday! For rest of the review plus food pics, please see http://wendylimwendy.com/2014/11/22/dim-sum-lunch-at-wah-lok-carlton-hotel/ - cheers!
• 06 Oct 2014 • 493 reviews • 68 followers

One of many revisits

Overall
Dropped by my favourite dim sum place, Wah Lok, with my friends one weekday afternoon for a leisurely lunch.    Suckling Pig Combo - We had the suckling pig and BBQ pork combination and it honestly wasn't a very good start to our meal. The BBQ pork sported a beautiful sheen but lacked bite whilst the suckling pig had a nice crisp skin to it but came across as overwhelmingly oily.    Steamed Pork Dumpling - The 烧卖 had a rather low fat to meat ratio thus didn't come across as too overwhelming. Pretty good.   Deep Fried Beancurd Skin Roll - A crisp but a wee bit too oily exterior packed with crunchy prawns. Best eaten hot!   Steamed Custard Buns - Now this wasn't quite impressive. The flowing custard lacked the saltiness and texture of egg yolk. It was just plain sweet honestly.   Steamed Prawn Dumplings - Fresh tasting, crunchy prawns all bundled up in a thin, semi translucent skin. What's not to like?   Steamed Crabmeat Dumpling - This tasted rather similar to the steamed prawn dumplings except that it was filled with crab paste instead of prawns and wrapped up in a mildly stretchable, semi translucent skin. Pretty decent.   Steamed BBQ Pork Cheong Fun - Another dim sum staple, the BBQ pork cheong fun boasted silky smooth skin with generous servings of BBQ pork within, all sitting in a pool of light soya sauce. Nice!   Steamed Carrot Cake - The steamed carrot cake honestly didn't look like much but it came across as smooth, moist and encrusted with savoury dried shrimps. Simple yet nice!   Baked BBQ Pork Bun - One of the signature dishes of Wah Lok, the baked BBQ pork bun ranks a close third behind that of Tim Ho Wan and Lung King Heen (top of my chart) in my humble opinion. Sporting a darker than usual colour probably due to a slight overbaking, the bun had a nice crusty top with mildly viscous, semi sweet pork filling encased in soft dough.    Abalone & Chicken Pie - Exhibiting a nice sheen on the crust, the abalone and chicken pie was wonderfully buttery with generous bits of moist chicken and abalone cocooned within. It was so good that we had 2 servings!   Baked Mini Egg Tarts - Quivery, not too sweet custard center on a flaky tart base. Pretty good but the tart could do with a little more butter in my humble opinion.   Baked Custard Pastries - One of my must order dishes whenever I visit Wah Lok, the baked custard pasty (美人腰) was as good as my previous visit. "Lithe" and flaky with a smooth and sweetly satisfying custard filling.   Homemade Soya Beancurd - To round up our largely excellent lunch, I had the homemade soya beancurd with gingko nut and chestnut. Though smooth, it honestly wasn't my cup of tea due to the amount of gelatin in it. I personally prefer the silky smooth, soft type. I did like the crunchiness from the chestnuts though.   See all my pictures here.