Back to Wah Lok Cantonese RestaurantLevel 2, Carlton Hotel, 76 Bras...

char siew soh7 votes

Business Breakfast3 votes

fatpig
 • 06 Oct 2014 473 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Dropped by my favourite dim sum place, Wah Lok, with my friends one weekday afternoon for a leisurely lunch.

Suckling Pig Combo - We had the suckling pig and BBQ pork combination and it honestly wasn't a very good start to our meal. The BBQ pork sported a beautiful sheen but lacked bite whilst the suckling pig had a nice crisp skin to it but came across as overwhelmingly oily.

Steamed Pork Dumpling - The 烧卖 had a rather low fat to meat ratio thus didn't come across as too overwhelming. Pretty good.

Deep Fried Beancurd Skin Roll - A crisp but a wee bit too oily exterior packed with crunchy prawns. Best eaten hot!

Steamed Custard Buns - Now this wasn't quite impressive. The flowing custard lacked the saltiness and texture of egg yolk. It was just plain sweet honestly.

Steamed Prawn Dumplings - Fresh tasting, crunchy prawns all bundled up in a thin, semi translucent skin. What's not to like?

Steamed Crabmeat Dumpling - This tasted rather similar to the steamed prawn dumplings except that it was filled with crab paste instead of prawns and wrapped up in a mildly stretchable, semi translucent skin. Pretty decent.

Steamed BBQ Pork Cheong Fun - Another dim sum staple, the BBQ pork cheong fun boasted silky smooth skin with generous servings of BBQ pork within, all sitting in a pool of light soya sauce. Nice!

Steamed Carrot Cake - The steamed carrot cake honestly didn't look like much but it came across as smooth, moist and encrusted with savoury dried shrimps. Simple yet nice!

Baked BBQ Pork Bun - One of the signature dishes of Wah Lok, the baked BBQ pork bun ranks a close third behind that of Tim Ho Wan and Lung King Heen (top of my chart) in my humble opinion. Sporting a darker than usual colour probably due to a slight overbaking, the bun had a nice crusty top with mildly viscous, semi sweet pork filling encased in soft dough.

Abalone & Chicken Pie - Exhibiting a nice sheen on the crust, the abalone and chicken pie was wonderfully buttery with generous bits of moist chicken and abalone cocooned within. It was so good that we had 2 servings!

Baked Mini Egg Tarts - Quivery, not too sweet custard center on a flaky tart base. Pretty good but the tart could do with a little more butter in my humble opinion.

Baked Custard Pastries - One of my must order dishes whenever I visit Wah Lok, the baked custard pasty (美人腰) was as good as my previous visit. "Lithe" and flaky with a smooth and sweetly satisfying custard filling.

Homemade Soya Beancurd - To round up our largely excellent lunch, I had the homemade soya beancurd with gingko nut and chestnut. Though smooth, it honestly wasn't my cup of tea due to the amount of gelatin in it. I personally prefer the silky smooth, soft type. I did like the crunchiness from the chestnuts though.

Morsels of Delice
 • 08 Sep 2014 51 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I had heard about Wan Lok all the time; despite trying a great number of Chinese restaurants, I did not get around to trying the food here, until recently. I'm sure glad that I did; the experience defied my initial impressions that the dishes are very old school (since this restaurant had been around a long time).

I am very impressed that the quite a number of dim sum items are different and creative from the run-of-mill types. The steamed dim sum items are exceptionally good since the skin is very thin and moist, where the succulent contents threatening to break out of the fine layer of translucent dough holding them together .

The general taste of the dishes tends to be on the light side with light soya sauce and hints of garlic so as to let the natural sweetness of the fresh ingredients shine through.

The osmanthus jelly here is given a unique twist by pairing with a layer of mango pudding. The combination works very well. The baked custard pastry is filled with creamy goodness of the fragrant custard—high ratio of the fillings to the pastry gets the thumbs up from me.

The ambience is very posh and modern oriental, with huge spaces between the tables. Great choice for high end Chinese dining. The service is very efficient, friendly and prompt. The dining experience would have been perfect if the counter staff bided farewell to leaving patrons; too bad, they didn't. I have no idea why quite a number of high end restaurants seem to downplay the importance of this small gesture of friendliness which serves to put a sweet ending to one's dining experience.

Nonetheless, Wan Lok is one of the restaurants that will come into my mind when deciding on which Chinese restaurant to go to for a good meal.

For photos, visit my blog at http://morsels-of-delice.blogspot.sg/2014/09/wan-lok-place-for-best-steamed-dim-sum.html

FoodiePink
 • 12 Jul 2014 114 reviews 1 follower
Overall
For a full run-down of my dining experience, please visit:

Enjoy :)