Back to Warong Nasi PariamanKampong Glam Conservation Area, 738...

The Hungry Bunny
 • 28 Feb 2012 544 reviews 19 followers
Overall
For the full review with pictures, please go to http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2011/11/pariaman-warong-nasi.html

I really don't see the fuss with this place. Of all the many nasi padang restaurants littered along Kandahar Street, Pariaman is my least favourite. The variety of dishes is limited, dishes tend towards the delicate, and for all the rave reviews this place gets, their food is quite underwhelming.

Pariaman's food is a lot milder than what I'm used to at other nasi padanag places. But, this place is really quite dirt-cheap. An entire meal consisting 6 dishes for 3 persons cost barely $30. Another thing to note is to hit the eatery early, like before noon, because they sell out real fast.

We had:

1) Fried Batang Fish with Sambal - too mild. The sambal was more tangy than spicy, but it lent itself well to the clear salty taste of the fried fish. The hubby detected a hint of fishiness to the fried fish as well.

2) Omelette - must-try here. It's cooked upon order, so you won't see it over the ordering counter

3) Sayur Lodeh - very mild and watery version of what we're typically used to, with only long beans, a couple of sliced carrots and firm beancurd as the central ingredients

4) Beef Rendang - good, moist, fork-tender full-bodied meat that was thoroughly braised and packed with flavour, spicy, nutty and robust

5) Curry Chicken was also one of the more typical Padang dishes, the gravy was creamy, rich and loaded with enough heat and spice, while the chicken was juicy and well-marinated

6) Fried Long Beans with Beancurd was quite an unusual dish, crunchy diced long beans were paired with beancurd cubes, flavourful ikan bilis and a light peppery sambal

robo sushi
 • 28 Jan 2012 11 reviews 0 follower
Overall
How much do I love it? I believe I have been eating there for coming to 40 years? Since my dad brought me there when I was a kid, now my son loves it too.

My dad and brothers simply lit up when we talk about it.

I think the old customers have seen their kids helping out at the coffee shop and they are the one managing it now.

Of course it is not exactly cheap, but just look at the Q. If u are late, the Ayam Bakar will be gone. Be there before 12 if you want to eat the Ayam. After 12 noon, try your luck la!

Brunch, Lunch, Vibrant/Noisy, Breakfast
  • Begadel
  • Tofu
  • My Fav - Ayam Bakar

Dr Leslie Tay
 • 23 Nov 2011 249 reviews 560 followers
Overall
When I think of "nasi padang", the first word that comes to mind is "Rendezvous". Then, the next image that forms in my mind is the really shiok yellow green chicken korma that the original Rendezvous Restaurant used to dish out.
Nasi padang might mean many things to different people, but for me, it is all about the chicken korma. This was the dish my parents used to order for me when I was a kid, as I couldn’t eat anything that was too spicy. My first taste of the dish was a little tentative as I thought that since it was curry, it had to be spicy. My mom was adamant that this was not curry but korma. That first taste changed my life forever. Well, I still remember it today and use it as a yardstick to gauge all other nasi padang, so I'd say it was a life changing event. The creamy, citrus-coconut flavour of that non-spicy curry was incredible but unfortunately for us, not so easy to find it elsewhere nowadays.
I remember there used to be another nasi padang restaurant along the same stretch where Rendezvous was, which also served a pretty mean chicken korma. Sadly when they were demolished to make way for the present Rendezvous Hotel, we lost a heritage eating haunt. The last time I ate at the current Rendezvous Hotel, I felt that the chicken korma had lost some of its original ooomph. It almost always happens when the old makes way for the new.
My search for the elusive chicken korma brought me to this very famous nasi padang eatery which had been in the same location since 1948. This was a 3G nasi padang (to borrow our SAF's acronym for third generation) but Mr Jumrin insisted that their traditional recipes remained faithful to the original padang recipes.
The yellow-green curry chicken was known as "ayam pangang" at this stall, which means "grilled chicken" They didn’t call it korma here, but it certainly had the taste and appearance of chicken korma. The chicken was first cooked in the gravy then grilled and left dry. Gravy was poured over the chicken just before serving. I found the caramelised, char-grilled flavours of the spices on the chicken skin really tasty but the gravy was too watery and light for me. I would have liked it a little thicker and more fragrant. Still it was great with rice. Not quite the chicken korma I was hoping to find, but perhaps it was not exactly the same dish? (4.25/5).
The beef rendang was the other signature dish at this stall. I was told that it followed the same style of beef rendang they serve in padang. The meat was cooked till almost dry and it had a great consistency. It was quite fiery and should appeal to those who like a good sweat while they eat (4/5). This is one of those heritage nasi padang stalls that everyone talks about, so you have to check it out if you have never been there. The chicken korma (ayam pangang) was not exactly the one I was looking for, but overall it was a very good meal.