Tue - Sun: 11:00 - 15:00
Tue - Sun: 18:00 - 22:00
Waterloo Times is located a stone’s throw away from Singapore Art Museum. We offer Modern European and International cuisine cooked ala minute. Our dishes are value-for-money. The restaurant is run by a passionate team who has many years of experience in the restaurant business.
I am tired of reading reviews of people that don't give the bottom line.
Today I will review a restaurant that is nearby where I live and I went to eat many times :)
The following are the good and the bad of Waterloo Times:
- Value for the money / quality ( Seriously)
- Real Chef in the kitchen = Quality & tasty food !
- Good selection of drinks and dishes
- Perfectly cooked meals
- Lack of side dishes
- Not enough vegetable sections / dishes - Repetitive Special of the week ( After going there a few months !)
Keep in Mind:
- It’s a small restaurant but the food turn around is quick.
Good to know:
- The management and the staff cooking there really know what they are doing. - There is a nice selection of different dishes (fish, pasta, meats,etc...) Proof: - I won't be talking about each dishes because I truly believe all the dishes are good. They are all special in their own way depending the food you prefer. - I would try the Confit Calamari, the snapper mushroom pie, seafood pasta, weekly special and the famous salted Caramel Chocolate desert ! - It will cost you on average $75 for 2 people (salad, appetizers, 2 main dishes, 1 desert and 2 drinks) (alcohol not included)
Conclusion: I would go to this place anytime I feel like having a nice meal :) This is by far the best place to eat near Bugis / City Hall / Bras Basah MRT station.
I truly believe Waterloo Times is the next generation of food benchmark that all other restaurant should target to achieve. Sadly many restaurant won't be able to achieve this standard because either their rent is too expensive, either they are too greedy or their kitchen staff aren't skilled enough or simply the owner are not really into food and don't have any passion....
If you are the owner/chef reading this, thank you for opening a nice restaurant at Waterloo Center :) The only feedback I can give you is that it would be great that you can offer more vegetables and you come up with new "special of the week" and keep the food quality and portions the same even after you become famous in Singapore :)
Don't forget the little guys :)
Wish you the best success and hopefully other restaurants learn from you.
Sincerely & Honestly
Chef RayB is Italian, traveled the world and ate in more restaurants that you can Imagine. Bottom Line RayB can't be fooled !
It has been a while since I last visited and I came by last weekend with the family.
They have a range of signatures on the wall, ranging from pastas to meat dishes.
What I like about this place is that they constantly innovate new dishes, so you never get bored with their food offerings.
- Truffle Fries: Comes in a big bowl, where shoe string fries are fried and drizzled with truffle oil and served with mayonnaise. Kids loved it.
- Spaghetti Bolognese: My regular order. Spaghetti with minced beef and The children loved it!
- Jumbo Lump Crab Pasta: The pasta has loads of lump crab meat in it, with asparagus, black olive, tomato, onion, lemon and topped with prawn roe. Its done similar to alio olio style. Not bad.
- Salmon in Filo pastry with mushroom creamy sauce: My favourite dish for the meal. You have piece of salmon encased in filo pastry and baked. It is topped with mushroom, broccoli and cheese cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce. A healthy and delicious dish!
- Chocolate cake with salted caramel and macaroon: Layered chocolate cake with cream and topped with salted caramel and a macaroon. A good ending to a good meal with the family.
A good place to bring your family and friends. But do make a reservation, as they do get busy, to avoid disappointment.
My experience in Waterloo Times has been rather mixed and the recent episode where I brought my touristy friends to restaurant for a birthday treat really made me reconsider if I want to recommend to friends or even visit this restaurant again. But here's a more balance review about what I feel. Ambience: what really drew me to this restaurant was the location. It's an unexpected little gem tucked in Waterloo street with an unpretentious setting. Food: The appetizers/ sides/ salad are much better than the main courses. I love the seated calamari, truffle fries and pumpkin salad. Definitely worth trying. Price: The prices are reasonable. The appetizers cost $13-20+, while main courses/ pasta are anything from $17-$30+ . No gst or service charges. Service: that's the part where I feel very unsatisfied especially with my recent episode. No service charge does not warrant rude service. I used HGW to make a reservation and the servery called to confirm my booking , so I asked if I can bring a cake to celebrate my friend's birthday. The server's reply was "U can bring but we will not serve you" . I was ok not being served and I can certainly bring my own serviette but I was definitely not impressed with the chosen words and tone that she has used. Finally at the restaurant, I asked the same lady ( I can recognize her tone and voice) if she could help me to keep the cake and if she can help to light the candles Later. She said "huh" in an absolutely rude manner and I repeated myself. She gave us a black-faced , went to another table , came back to my table to take the cake away. It was already quite awkward. As the night went by, my friends came , we started with salad, appetitzees and sides and we even ordered the 2nd truffle fries for the night and this time, w e asked for 2 sets of chilli sauce since there were 4 of us. The waitress rudely asked my friend 3 times : "2 sets, 2 sets , 2 sets" And everytime, my friend said yes .. We were really puzzled by her exclamation as it was really not an unreasonable request since there were 4 of us who happen to love our fries with chilli sauce. Ultimately, it is really that waitress who made the night truly unpleasant. Recommendation: I have been there 3 times and the food is value for money but you might have to endure the waitress' pms attitude which is something that I would like to reconsider. That's my personal view. However, I will definitely hesitate to bring my friends there as such service can be quite embarrassing and awkward at the table and can truly spoil ur experience no matter how good the food is/can be.