Back to Waterloo Times#01-24, Waterloo Centre, 261 Waterloo Street

Relaxed3 votes

Chef RayB
 • 14 Jun 2014 14 reviews 3 followers
Hello Everyone,

I am tired of reading reviews of people that don't give the bottom line.
Today I will review a restaurant that is nearby where I live and I went to eat many times :)

The following are the good and the bad of Waterloo Times:

Good:

- Value for the money / quality ( Seriously)
- Real Chef in the kitchen = Quality & tasty food !
- Good selection of drinks and dishes
- Perfectly cooked meals

Bad:
- Lack of side dishes
- Not enough vegetable sections / dishes
- Repetitive Special of the week  ( After going there a few months  !)

Keep in Mind:
- It’s a small restaurant but the food turn around is quick.

Good to know:
 - The management and the staff cooking there really know what they are doing.
- There is a nice selection of different dishes (fish, pasta, meats,etc...)

Proof:
- I won't be talking about each dishes because I truly believe all the dishes are good. They are all special in their own way depending the food you prefer.
- I would try the Confit Calamari, the snapper mushroom pie, seafood pasta, weekly special  and the famous salted Caramel Chocolate desert !
- It will cost you on average $75 for 2 people (salad, appetizers, 2 main dishes, 1 desert and 2 drinks)  (alcohol not included)

Conclusion: I would go to this place anytime I feel like having a nice meal :)  This is by far the best place to eat near Bugis / City Hall / Bras Basah MRT station.

I truly believe Waterloo Times is the next generation of food benchmark that all other restaurant should target to achieve.  Sadly many restaurant won't be able to achieve this standard because either their rent is too expensive, either they are too greedy or their kitchen staff aren't skilled enough or simply the owner are not really into food and don't have any passion....

If you are the owner/chef reading this, thank you for opening a nice restaurant at Waterloo Center :)  The only feedback I can give you is that it would be great that you can offer more vegetables and you come up with new "special of the week" and keep the food quality and portions the same even after you become famous in Singapore :)
Don't forget the little guys :)

Wish you the best success and hopefully other restaurants learn from you.

Sincerely & Honestly

Chef RayB

Chef RayB is Italian, traveled the world and ate in more restaurants that you can Imagine. Bottom Line RayB can't be fooled !

After Work, Ala Carte, Dinner, Hidden Find, Relaxed

Matt Whittingh
 • 11 Jun 2014 37 reviews 6 followers
Overall
Behind this modest looking restaurant, tucked down a side street off Waterloo Centre, lies a gastronomic gem.  Every dish the talented team came up with from the modest kitchen knocked us out with it's presentation, taste and value.

We started with seared calamari with picked fennel (probably my favourite of all the dishes we sampled here) was exquisite, as was the squid ink seafood pasta. The roasted pumpkin was a hearty vegetarian option and the desserts were all executed to a very high standard, even down to the hand made biscotti in the Tiramasu.

I highly recommend this place.  Be sure to book as it's pretty small, and already getting quite a following, especially at lunch time.

Must tries: seafood pasta in squid ink, Beef Pizza, Mango Pavlova

After Work, Ala Carte, Relaxed, Supper

Celine Asril
 • 10 Jun 2014 256 reviews 9 followers
Overall
Can you believe we only paid $90 for this entire meal? Good, affordable Italian food still exists after all! We believe Waterloo Times is able to offer $20++ set lunches (not what we had, but should have) and well-priced dishes that are full of quality ingredients and flavours because of it's off-kilter location at Waterloo Centre. We were skeptical at first, but after one visit, we understand why this bistrot with less than 30 seats is fast gaining popularity: it'd be too lengthy for us to go into the details of every dish, just make sure you order the seared calamari with pickled fennel and balsamic glaze starter ($15), and the daily special Skinny-pizza-esque skinny pizza (chef did head the kitchens of #SkinnyPizza) made with specials-of-the-day ingredients. If you're lucky, you'll find the squid ink seafood pasta ($18) on the chalkboard menu - regular pasta tossed with generous squirts of squid ink. It's one of the lightest, still arresting squid ink dishes we've had. As always we're here to share the good news: you can book a table via us on HungryGoWhere. Seats will go fast - good luck!

Must tries: Mango Pavlova, seafood pasta in squid ink, Beef Pizza, Seafood soup

Ala Carte, Anniversary, Children/Family, Chillout, Dinner, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Lunch, Quiet, Romance/First Dates