Back to Waterloo Times#01-24, Waterloo Centre, 261 Waterloo Street

Relaxed3 votes

howinston
 • 10 Nov 2014 152 reviews 2 followers
Overall
It has been a while since I last visited and I came by last weekend with the family.

They have a range of signatures on the wall, ranging from pastas to meat dishes.

What I like about this place is that they constantly innovate new dishes, so you never get bored with their food offerings.

- Truffle Fries: Comes in a big bowl, where shoe string fries are fried and drizzled with truffle oil and served with mayonnaise. Kids loved it.
- Spaghetti Bolognese: My regular order. Spaghetti with minced beef and   The children loved it!
- Jumbo Lump Crab Pasta: The pasta has loads of lump crab meat in it, with asparagus, black olive, tomato, onion, lemon and topped with prawn roe. Its done similar to alio olio style. Not bad.
- Salmon in Filo pastry with mushroom creamy sauce: My favourite dish for the meal. You have piece of salmon encased in filo pastry and baked. It is topped with mushroom, broccoli and cheese cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce. A healthy and delicious dish!
- Chocolate cake with salted caramel and macaroon: Layered chocolate cake with cream and topped with salted caramel and a macaroon. A good ending to a good meal with the family.

A good place to bring your family and friends. But do make a reservation, as they do get busy, to avoid disappointment.

Must tries: Chocolate cake with salted caramel and macaroon, Spaghetti Bolognese, Jumbo Lump Crab Pasta, Truffle Fries, Salmon in Filo pastry with mushroom creamy sauce

Ala Carte, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

Peiling Yu
 • 19 Oct 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
My experience in Waterloo Times has been rather mixed and the recent episode where I brought my touristy friends to restaurant for a birthday treat really made me reconsider if I want to recommend to friends or even visit this restaurant again. But here's a more balance review about what I feel.
Ambience: what really drew me to this restaurant was the location. It's an unexpected little gem tucked in Waterloo street with an unpretentious setting.
Food: The appetizers/ sides/ salad are much better than the main courses. I love the seated calamari, truffle fries and pumpkin salad. Definitely worth trying.
Price: The prices are reasonable. The appetizers cost $13-20+, while main courses/ pasta are anything from $17-$30+ . No gst or service charges.
Service: that's the part where I feel very unsatisfied especially with my recent episode. No service charge does not warrant rude service. I used HGW to make a reservation and the servery called to confirm my booking , so I asked if I can bring a cake to celebrate my friend's birthday. The server's reply was "U can bring but we will not serve you" . I was ok not being served and I can certainly bring my own serviette but I was definitely not impressed with the chosen words and tone that she has used. Finally at the restaurant, I asked the same lady ( I can recognize her tone and voice) if she could help me to keep the cake and if she can help to light the candles Later. She said "huh" in an absolutely rude manner and I repeated myself. She gave us a black-faced , went to another table , came back to my table to take the cake away. It was already quite awkward. As the night went by, my friends came , we started with salad, appetitzees and sides and we even ordered the 2nd truffle fries for the night and this time, w e asked for 2 sets of chilli sauce since there were 4 of us. The waitress rudely asked my friend 3 times : "2 sets, 2 sets , 2 sets" And everytime, my friend said yes .. We were really puzzled by her exclamation as it was really not an unreasonable request since there were 4 of us who happen to love our fries with chilli sauce. Ultimately, it is really that waitress who made the night truly unpleasant.
Recommendation: I have been there 3 times and the food is value for money but you might have to endure the waitress' pms attitude which is something that I would like to reconsider. That's my personal view. However, I will definitely hesitate to bring my friends there as such service can be quite embarrassing and awkward at the table and can truly spoil ur experience no matter how good the food is/can be.

Peter Fu
 • 28 Aug 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
A total GEM!!! Times tugged inside a hawkers market of sort but what a pleasant surprise once stepped into this quaint but comfy eatery. Even more so are their food. Extremely well executed with quality comparable to those Michelin Stars restaurants but without the high priced fuss for sure!!  Not to be missed are their thick flavorful mushroom soup, crispy naan bread- like vegetarian pizza, near perfect truffled fries... Both their seafood and meat dishes have many interesting choices also: the tasty squid ink risotto, the succulent pork chop, the cold al Dente sea urchin spaghettini and most impressive is their fish pie!!! What a wow factor!! Save room for desserts. Their chocolate cakes are to die for!! Very interesting and well thought out selections in their wine list which cater to different wallets and wine connoisseurs alike. Try this precious restaurant soon before it becomes a local food critics stable fav !!!!