Back to Waterloo Times#01-24, Waterloo Centre, 261 Waterloo Street

Relaxed3 votes

Peiling Yu
 • 19 Oct 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
My experience in Waterloo Times has been rather mixed and the recent episode where I brought my touristy friends to restaurant for a birthday treat really made me reconsider if I want to recommend to friends or even visit this restaurant again. But here's a more balance review about what I feel.
Ambience: what really drew me to this restaurant was the location. It's an unexpected little gem tucked in Waterloo street with an unpretentious setting.
Food: The appetizers/ sides/ salad are much better than the main courses. I love the seated calamari, truffle fries and pumpkin salad. Definitely worth trying.
Price: The prices are reasonable. The appetizers cost $13-20+, while main courses/ pasta are anything from $17-$30+ . No gst or service charges.
Service: that's the part where I feel very unsatisfied especially with my recent episode. No service charge does not warrant rude service. I used HGW to make a reservation and the servery called to confirm my booking , so I asked if I can bring a cake to celebrate my friend's birthday. The server's reply was "U can bring but we will not serve you" . I was ok not being served and I can certainly bring my own serviette but I was definitely not impressed with the chosen words and tone that she has used. Finally at the restaurant, I asked the same lady ( I can recognize her tone and voice) if she could help me to keep the cake and if she can help to light the candles Later. She said "huh" in an absolutely rude manner and I repeated myself. She gave us a black-faced , went to another table , came back to my table to take the cake away. It was already quite awkward. As the night went by, my friends came , we started with salad, appetitzees and sides and we even ordered the 2nd truffle fries for the night and this time, w e asked for 2 sets of chilli sauce since there were 4 of us. The waitress rudely asked my friend 3 times : "2 sets, 2 sets , 2 sets" And everytime, my friend said yes .. We were really puzzled by her exclamation as it was really not an unreasonable request since there were 4 of us who happen to love our fries with chilli sauce. Ultimately, it is really that waitress who made the night truly unpleasant.
Recommendation: I have been there 3 times and the food is value for money but you might have to endure the waitress' pms attitude which is something that I would like to reconsider. That's my personal view. However, I will definitely hesitate to bring my friends there as such service can be quite embarrassing and awkward at the table and can truly spoil ur experience no matter how good the food is/can be.

Peter Fu
 • 28 Aug 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
A total GEM!!! Times tugged inside a hawkers market of sort but what a pleasant surprise once stepped into this quaint but comfy eatery. Even more so are their food. Extremely well executed with quality comparable to those Michelin Stars restaurants but without the high priced fuss for sure!!  Not to be missed are their thick flavorful mushroom soup, crispy naan bread- like vegetarian pizza, near perfect truffled fries... Both their seafood and meat dishes have many interesting choices also: the tasty squid ink risotto, the succulent pork chop, the cold al Dente sea urchin spaghettini and most impressive is their fish pie!!! What a wow factor!! Save room for desserts. Their chocolate cakes are to die for!! Very interesting and well thought out selections in their wine list which cater to different wallets and wine connoisseurs alike. Try this precious restaurant soon before it becomes a local food critics stable fav !!!!

Chef RayB
 • 14 Jun 2014 14 reviews 3 followers
Hello Everyone,

I am tired of reading reviews of people that don't give the bottom line.
Today I will review a restaurant that is nearby where I live and I went to eat many times :)

The following are the good and the bad of Waterloo Times:

Good:

- Value for the money / quality ( Seriously)
- Real Chef in the kitchen = Quality & tasty food !
- Good selection of drinks and dishes
- Perfectly cooked meals

Bad:
- Lack of side dishes
- Not enough vegetable sections / dishes
- Repetitive Special of the week  ( After going there a few months  !)

Keep in Mind:
- It’s a small restaurant but the food turn around is quick.

Good to know:
 - The management and the staff cooking there really know what they are doing.
- There is a nice selection of different dishes (fish, pasta, meats,etc...)

Proof:
- I won't be talking about each dishes because I truly believe all the dishes are good. They are all special in their own way depending the food you prefer.
- I would try the Confit Calamari, the snapper mushroom pie, seafood pasta, weekly special  and the famous salted Caramel Chocolate desert !
- It will cost you on average $75 for 2 people (salad, appetizers, 2 main dishes, 1 desert and 2 drinks)  (alcohol not included)

Conclusion: I would go to this place anytime I feel like having a nice meal :)  This is by far the best place to eat near Bugis / City Hall / Bras Basah MRT station.

I truly believe Waterloo Times is the next generation of food benchmark that all other restaurant should target to achieve.  Sadly many restaurant won't be able to achieve this standard because either their rent is too expensive, either they are too greedy or their kitchen staff aren't skilled enough or simply the owner are not really into food and don't have any passion....

If you are the owner/chef reading this, thank you for opening a nice restaurant at Waterloo Center :)  The only feedback I can give you is that it would be great that you can offer more vegetables and you come up with new "special of the week" and keep the food quality and portions the same even after you become famous in Singapore :)
Don't forget the little guys :)

Wish you the best success and hopefully other restaurants learn from you.

Sincerely & Honestly

Chef RayB

Chef RayB is Italian, traveled the world and ate in more restaurants that you can Imagine. Bottom Line RayB can't be fooled !

After Work, Ala Carte, Dinner, Hidden Find, Relaxed