Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice Restaurant has closed.

Review for (Closed) Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice Restaurant (Novena Ville) (威南记海南鸡饭餐室)

3.2

AsianChineseHainaneseLocalSingaporean
Address: #01-05, Novena Ville, 275 Thomson Road, 307645
02 Oct 2007
Overall

OK food for the hungry masses

1 October 2007 : 77 & I decided to eat dinner here... mainly because we were hungry and ready to eat a decent amount before heading for after-work stiff drinks.

We ordered :

Roasted Chicken Rice ($3.50)

Steamed Chicken RIce ($4.00)

Baby Kai Lan ($6)

Lime Juice ($1.50)

TOTAL : $15.75

The food was quite ok.... i guess we were just hungry peasants after a long day at the sweat shop. A good place to grab food and shovel it down and head back to the good old shack.
$15.75 for 2 pax

More reviews of Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice Restaurant

Tender chicken

The chicken is tender. Wish the rice and chilli sauce were more fragrant, and the roast pork had more bite. That is a lot of sweet sauce on the well-marinated char siew, though that didn't scare us off it. Criticisms aside, proud that we have a meal like this for less than $10 per person, and to call our own.
Overall

I rather eat hainanese chicken rice elsewhere

First off, I have been eating their food since 1990. No more from now onwards.
The times I am there for the 2-3 years, their service is horrible. The aunties there have a horrible ai-mai ai-mai attitude, slow in service too. You can get seated for 10 mins and they dun even bother to service you even its only half filled with customers.

As a hainanese, I can tell you their rice is very sub-par, compared to last time. Chicken is not properly chopped, very messily done. IN chicken rice, if the rice fails, everything else fails, as like nasi lemak and nasi beryani. I suggest you go to other places where service and/or food is much better.

Food and service id just plain bad for me.

First and last visit

A pot of soup arrived first, followed by our chicken and bowls of rice. The dishes were simply plonked onto our round table and no one bothered to announce what the dish was. When the table was full (we ordered chicken, vegetables, braised eggs, some innards, rice and drinks), the sour-faced servers did not even bother to help rearrange dishes - they simply placed the additional items around whatever empty space they could see on our table (which also meant, at the edge by someone's elbow!)

The vegetables were either too old or overcooked - it was hard to chew and tough!

The chicken was nothing to rave about as well (disappointingly) - lacking tenderness and smoothness, that we felt the other chicken rice houses (i,.e. competitors) did much better even at their hawker stall outlets.

Most importantly, the chicken rice itself did not posess the fragrant aroma of ginger-chicken broth at all. Granted, it was not very greasy, but the taste of a good bowl of chicken rice complements the chicken at times, especially when the chicken in question here was bland.

Four of us spent a total of SGD$66.00, and with such service and food standards, rest assured that it was the first and last visit from any of us. It was a disappointing meal, to say the least.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Wee Nam Kee - utterly disappointing

For the first time in our lives, my family and I tried Wee Nam Kee with anticipation. We heard many raves about it since the days it was at Thomson / Novena Ville, before moving to United Square. We were early so there werent any queue. Five of us were ushered to a round table.

The service was utterly disappointing. The waitresses were loud and brusque, kept walking way before we even finished placing our orders. When the food came, they just plonked the food down without even announcing what item was being served, or helping to arrange / set it properly on the table. We ordered alot of items, hence the tabletop was filled with dishes naturally.

One of the items we ordered was unavailable that day, but the waitress at the chopper stand kept shouting out at us - how were we to know she was talking to us, and were we supposed to shout our replacement orders back in turn?

We ordered half a chicken (the oil chicken "you ji") - which was very average, not especially tender or tasty. The rice lacked fragrance of chicken rice (usually chicken rice has a distinctive ginger / garlic fragrance) and was soggy. The braised eggs and innards were bland and soggy too, and the vegetables ("you cai") was overcooked so a tad hard to chew.

On top of that, we found the food to be oily overall. This was the worst meal we've ever had, and we knew we would not be back for more. Food and service leave much to be desired. Note that so far I am very kind in all my food reviews because I am not a demanding or fussy person when it comes to my food; on the contrary I am rather easy to please when it comes to dining. Hence for me to pen this painful review, the standard was really mediocre and I could find no kind words for the incredibly lousy experience.
Overall

Treat you transparent not worth wait

United Sq branch. Waited > 15mins to get food without soup, asked staff for soup, had asked for 4 times to diff staff, soup still not served, all staff gave u the "owe me $$ face" and gave us the "transparency" treatment. Ended up walking to the service station and made a fuss before seeing the soup served. Very noisy and chaotic place. Chicken rice is decent but given the service there are other better ones