White Dog Café has closed.

Review for (Closed) White Dog Café

Western
Address: #02-131/132, Vivocity, 1 Harbourfront Walk, 098585
23 Mar 2007

Disappointing experience

I wish I didn't have to say this, but I had an unpleasant experience at White Dog Cafe. Both food and service were of sub-standard, and it was really a disappointment.

Let me justify my opinion.

A couple of friends and I ordered set lunches (main course, soup and tea/coffee) - priced at $18.90. The soup of the day was reminiscent of Maggi instant noodles soup base - probably laced with copious amounts of MSG and what-not. I ordered pasta with chicken pieces, and it was just average - nothing to boast about. For the price that I'm paying, I expected the food to be of a higher standard, but it was clearly not.

As for the service, what's more frustrating when the service crew gets the order mixed up? My friend was served a pasta dish of a lower value than what she ordered, and the service crew did not even bother to exchange or compensate for the difference. Only when my friend started to fuss about the mistake, did the manager come along to resolve the matter. By that time, the damage has already been done.

Food and service aside, the ambience is fairly good; though I wonder why jazz music is being played in the afternoon.

More reviews of White Dog Café

Overall

Had set lunch promotion with colleagues.

Went there with colleagues for lunch. They were having set lunch promotion so thought we could give it a try. A few tables were filled when we entered, maybe it was because we went during the late lunch hour, around 1.30 to 2pm. The ambience was pretty good, we could see the scenery of Sentosa across the waters, cables threading in the air, beautiful fluffy candy floss with true sky blue as its background. It was a nice and relaxing sight after a whole busy morning of work.

Orders were taken and waiter explained when we couldn't understand some of the items listed on the menu. It wasn't long before food came. Nice presentation at first sight. Looks and smells great. The set lunch includes salad with various nuts, soup with bread, mains.

The soup is smooth and has a unique taste which after discussing, we came to the conclusion that it's some kind of cream that they use. For the mains, my piece of grilled pork with what looks like carrots (but not carrots), tasted just right. It's so tender that when cutting, the meat makes way gracefully for the knife. It's chewy yet not "stubborn". Beside it, is a small portion of brown rice which i thought will not be enough for me. Turns out after finishing the whole set, i was simply full.

We had a nice experience and decent food over there. Although the overall which i would say is relatively nice, it's not fantastic to the point where i would dine there again if given other choices. Yeah, but it's something worth trying.

Set Lunch @White Dog Cafe

Cheap and nice 3 course lunch set from $10.90++, include a White Dog Waldorf Salad, a soup and a main course.

More photos and review at http://monsoontravel.blogspot.com/2012/03/set-lunch-white-dog-cafe.html

White dog cafe offered a variety of choices (~18) for the main course, much more than what is usually offered in other restaurants.

White dog Waldorf Salad and Soup of your choice

You can choose Veloute of White Dory or Barley Chicken Broth. White dory cream soup sounds fishy and weird initially, but it turn out to be quite ok.

Grilled Pork Chop with Prune and Apple Salsa

Pork was nicely charred, not too tough and quite fragrant. The prune and apple salsa doesn't look appetizing but it does compliment the pork well and is not too sweet. Portion of the meat was small, but should be sufficient for the average as the mains are served with a small portion of raisin organic brown rice.

There is much room for improvement for their service. Never sight a single smile from the gloomy waitresses and it also took quite a while for them to settle the bill.

Nonetheless, will still be back again as the food is relatively cheap.

great steak

I've always liked this place and my boyfriend likes it because they have cheap beer ;)

The ambiance is always crowded, but we're always seated promptly. Seats comfortable, modern and bright lighting.

Most recently we went with some friends. I had the steak with garlic butter and brie. Super nice!! Perfectly cooked with a side of salad and a small potato. Loved it! My friend had the chicken with mango and she said it was pretty good as well. My boyfriend had a burger as he always does there. We were satisfied with everything except the fried mushrooms. Wrong batter, too oily.

The service was above average, always refilling our waters and a smile here and there. Great casual dining place, I recommend the steak and beers ;)

Good, But Not Outstanding

Full White Dog Cafe review here

The best thing about White Dog Cafe is their location, on the second floor of VivoCity, overlooking the Sentosa bridge and the Harbour. If you get a window seat, you'll have a fantastic view while you dine.

Unfortunately, White Dog Cafe is let down by its food and service.

That's not to say that White Dog Cafe food or service is terrible... just that it's average. But in a location like VivoCity, surrounded by top quality restaurants and cafes, competition is stiff. And in this location, being merely 'good' may not be good enough.

The closest I can come to placing the theme of White Dog Cafe is 'Western Food'. Unlike some of the other restaurants nearby which offer 'Seafood', 'Brazilian', 'Spanish', 'Indian', etc; White Dog Cafe menu is a mix of European and American influence.

Food is decent, and so are serving sizes. However, for the price, you could get better meals at other restaurants and cafes around the area.

Service is average as well, and is slightly better during non-peak service hours.

Nothing in particular would attract me to return, or cause me to want to travel here just to dine... And that for me, is where White Dog Cafe has failed.

Probably the only reason I'll eat here again is if the other restaurants or cafes were crowded.

Overall

Violation of Basics (Food Temperature)

Had the wagyu beef burger tonight and was disappointed from the first bite. The sesame bun was not toasted and was cold, and the black pepper sauce was probably spooned from pre-made sauce prepared in bulk and was served cold as well. For a restaurant like this, the chef should know better than just spoon it cold.

The spaghetti that my family members ordered were disappointing too. Just tasted weird.

Bottom line - hot food must be served piping hot, and cold food must be served at the correct cold temperature. Lukewarm will not do too.

My suspicion - a lot of their gravies and sauces are pre-made in bulk. Actually, I'm OK with that as long as they are served at the right temperature.